Media Tracker (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SaintForLife

Reaction score
    I figured we needed a thread specifically about the media.

There was a very big correction recently by the Washington Post.

That story was supposedly "independently confirmed" by CNN, NBC News, USA Today, ABC News, & PBS News Hour. How could they all have gotten the quote wrong if they actually independently confirmed the story?

Why do all the errors always go in one political direction and not closer to 50/50?

Nate Silver is not someone I would ever take seriously again. He’s a broken shell of a man.
    It's interesting, he's still using 538 in his user name, he appears to no longer be with them. One of the TV networks owns it now.

I'm ignoring 538, but in the brief peeks where I've looked he's not not been there in a while.

That raft of pollsters they've got to feed their averages these days are pitiful. I'm wondering if there are any reputable pollsters left now that achieving a random sample appears to have become impossible.

Some robot pollster tried to call me the other day, I hung up on it. Right there in the act of hanging up on it I illustrated the way a random sample is impossible for it to achieve. For up to say 5% of calls being hang ups, there is a way to work around it.

Right now it has been reported and much talked about that the hang up rate is climbing toward 50%, always rising. I won't talk to robots, a lot of folks won't. There's no way to work around a hang up rate which is that high.

The robots polls have ruined it for the human poll takers as well. About a year ago for a consumer poll with a human talking I still hung up because I couldn't be bothered right then.

Nate has pretty much outed himself as definitely GOP, if not MAGA. He predicted a “red wave” several times now, IIRC. Never happened. It broke him. He just keeps doubling down, I guess he figures he has to be right at some point, lol.

We should be looking at stuff like this, which seems to have been a terrible editorial decision, rather than stupid conspiracy theories. That they would run this op-Ed, without checking the author out in any way, is negligent.

The media is circling the wagons now that their coverage of Biden is coming into question.

That is the role of the media after all, to blindly trust the President’s team.

The rest of Cooke's thread:

The press insists it didn’t know. If that’s the case, then the White House—including Kamala Harris—has successfully conspired to hide vital information from the media about the president. What does the media, which considers itself sacred and crucial, intend to do about that? (2)

This isn’t just about Joe Biden. It’s about everyone around him. This administration. This campaign. This party. If the press is telling the truth about being assiduously duped, this is a national scandal—a fraud, even. It will taintt all connected to it for years. (3)

I suspect that the press thinks that it can just move on. New candidate, old news. Absolutely not. The Democrats have been caught. That’s the story. (4/4)

Someone was on CNN talking about media coverage

Said there was a poll saying that over 60% of people thought that Biden was too old and should step down

That's been dominating the news since the debate

He said another poll showed that over 60% of people thought that Trump was morally corrupt and unfit to serve as president

That has not been dominating the news

Last edited:

The rest of Cooke's thread:

The press insists it didn’t know. If that’s the case, then the White House—including Kamala Harris—has successfully conspired to hide vital information from the media about the president. What does the media, which considers itself sacred and crucial, intend to do about that? (2)

This isn’t just about Joe Biden. It’s about everyone around him. This administration. This campaign. This party. If the press is telling the truth about being assiduously duped, this is a national scandal—a fraud, even. It will taintt all connected to it for years. (3)

I suspect that the press thinks that it can just move on. New candidate, old news. Absolutely not. The Democrats have been caught. That’s the story. (4/4)

The only fraud perpetrated is by Donald Trump. The guy you, the corporate media and the Republican Party support.

Why do you hate America?

The media is circling the wagons now that their coverage of Biden is coming into question.

That is the role of the media after all, to blindly trust the President’s team.
    Either sarcasm is lost on you or you are trying to deceive people. Let me correct both of those possibilites.

Here's the full text of what was said in both tweets instead of just a quote cherry picked to be out of context.

1720243421598.png

I am not usually one to offer diagnoses of people I’ve never met, but it does seem like the pundit class of the American media is suffering from severe memory loss.

Because they’re doing exactly what they did in the 2016 presidential race – providing wildly asymmetrical and inflammatory coverage of the one candidate running against Donald J Trump.

They have become a stampeding herd producing an avalanche of stories suggesting Biden is unfit, will lose, and should go away, at a point in the campaign in which replacing him would likely be somewhere between extremely difficult and utterly catastrophic.

They do this while ignoring something every scholar and critic of journalism knows well and every journalist should.

As Nikole Hannah-Jones put it: “As media we consistently proclaim that we are just reporting the news when in fact we are driving it. What we cover, how we cover it, determines often what Americans think is important and how they perceive these issues yet we keep pretending it’s not so.”

They are not reporting that he is a loser; they are making him one.

According to one journalist’s tally, the New York Times has run 192 stories on the subject since the debate, including 50 editorials and 142 news stories.

The Washington Post, which has also gone for saturation coverage, published a resignation speech they wrote for him.

Not to be outdone, the New Yorker’s editor-in-chief declared that Biden not going away “would be an act not only of self-delusion but of national endangerment” and had a staff writer suggest that Democrats should use the never-before-deployed 25th amendment.

Since this would have to be led by Vice-President Kamala Harris, it would be a sort of insider coup. And so it goes with what appears to be a journalistic competition to outdo each other in the aggressiveness of the attacks and the unreality of the proposals.

It’s a dogpile and a panic, and there is no one more unable to understand their own emotional life, biases, and motives than people who are utterly convinced of their own ironclad rationality and objectivity, AKA most of these pundits………

“Why aren’t we talking about Trump’s fascism?” demands the headline of Jeet Heer’s piece in the Nation, to which the answer might be a piece by the Nation’s own editor-in-chief titled “Biden’s patriotic duty” that proposes his duty is to get lost.

Sometimes I wonder if all this coverage is because the media know how to cover a normal problem like a sub-par candidate; they don’t know how to cover something as abnormal and unprecedented as the end of the Republic.

So for the most part they don’t……..

Right-wingers are fully aware of what non-right-wing media outlets say. Libs often have absolutely no idea what goes on in right-wing media, they have no understanding of what right-wingers actually think. This is part of why it’s so shocking to them now that anyone would question Biden’s competence. They haven’t seen a million videos of Biden mumbling and trailing off and lumbering around and looking lost, they didn’t know that he gets fed questions in advance. Two weeks ago, libs would’ve called it all fake news and cheapfakes, but right-wingers have known this stuff for years. Despite positioning themselves as the educated ones in the room, libs so often have absolutely horrendous media literacy.

This is also why every two months, you get “we’re canceling our New York Times subscriptions” freakouts - and we’re seeing this happen to journos and news outlets on a nuclear scale right now - because anything uncomfortable is seen as traitorous and must be immediately rejected. They’re not used to bad news (the type of bad news that makes them feel bad about themselves instead of the other guy being bad) and they have no idea how to navigate that.

Raskins is basically the new Adam Schiff.

Glenn Greenwald is still an idiot.

As for RW media?

It is plain as day what they are. They are the agitprop arm of a RW oligarchy that seeks to destroy the country.

Where is your commentary on Project 2025?

Why do you hate America? Every time you post you show that you hate America.

Glenn Greenwald is still an idiot.

As for RW media?

It is plain as day what they are. They are the agitprop arm of a RW oligarchy that seeks to destroy the country.

Where is your commentary on Project 2025?

Why do you hate America? Every time you post you show that you hate America.
    That's not fair. It's not that he hates America. It's just that he loves and admires all of the people who hate America and want to destroy us.

That's not fair. It's not that he hates America. It's just that he loves and admires all of the people who hate America and want to destroy us.
    I remember Glenn's past. I have him down as someone who completely lost their mind through addiction to conspiracy theory. A pity.

A sad thing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom