Looming budget battle: Will the GOP force federal shutdown (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    Annual federal appropriations will lapse on September 30, 2023 - now less than a month away. After the debt-ceiling fight, many anticipated that the FY 2024 funding battle could see a federal government shutdown of some length as Republicans push for more budget cuts . . . and that was before Special Counsel Jack Smith's office filed two separate criminal prosecutions of Donald Trump. Desperate to hit back in any way they can, the MAGAs in Congress have already said they will attempt to de-fund the prosecution. Of course, the only way they could even attempt to do that would be to force a shutdown of the entire federal government, or at least the civilian executive agencies presuming a bill funding DOD could get through.

It's hard to imagine that they won't try this, the questions are when will they try it and how much of the GOP goes along with the MAGAs (i.e. Freedom Caucus), particularly in the Senate where McConnell has already indicated no interest in such a gambit . . . though McConnell's health may eventually come into play. Would, for example, the Republicans agree to a continuing resolution to fund the government for several months to allow the time to get closer to the Trump federal trial dates before actually attempting a shutdown? (March 4 in DC and May 20 in Florida).

One factor in play is that federal funding rules allow the Article III courts (which include the federal district and appellate courts) to continue operation in a shutdown and they also allow for federal agencies to continue with "excepted" activities that include, generally, federal criminal prosecutions. (See article below). This allowance, however, is not perpetual, it is funded by other sources that do eventually dry up - so eventually they would shut down. Hypothetically, but such a lengthy shutdown would be terribly detrimental to the economy and have substantial political damage for the party perceived to have caused it . . . in this case that wouldn't be much of a debate.

For those reasons, I think the smarter GOP leaders, particularly in the Senate, will recognized that trying to use the budget as a tool to harm the Trump prosecutions is a fool's game: it's almost certain not to achieve that goal and it's to bring about substantial harm. But the MAGAs aren't as smart and given their wild allegiance to Trump, we can expect some sort of effort. At minimum it gives them an ability to say to their MAGA constituents that they tried to shutdown the prosecutions but were sold out by the RINOs in the Senate.

Going to be an interesting showdown. I don't think I can recall a shutdown battle where actually shutting the government down so that it couldn't function was the objective rather than a tool for coercion. Crazy.

Isn't that the same number that opposed his speaker vote?

I read it was the MAGAs who tanked it by voting with the Dems.

It was 21 GOP voting nay (along with all D voting nay b/c the CR is wackadoodle).

I think he's asking if it was the same GOP that held out against McCarthy being speaker. I haven't crossed-referenced it, but it was indeed 21 holdouts in the Speaker vote. It probably is the same 21.

It was 21 GOP voting nay (along with all D voting nay b/c the CR is wackadoodle).

I think he's asking if it was the same GOP that held out against McCarthy being speaker. I haven't crossed-referenced it, but it was indeed 21 holdouts in the Speaker vote. It probably is the same 21.

Because Trump wants them to shut down the government. If McCarthy doesn’t neuter them, this is all his fault. He can do it - he just refuses to.

Evidently McCarthy made some lame statement about how he will “pause” his salary during the shutdown. Shalanda Young just isn’t having it. We really need more people like this in government to cut through the BS.

That's what I was wondering. I saw one NPR headline that said GOP hardliner blocked their effort. I didn't get the chance to read it yet. So I assume they are the same block that thwarted McCarthy again.

That's what I was wondering. I saw one NPR headline that said GOP hardliner blocked their effort. I didn't get the chance to read it yet. So I assume they are the same block that thwarted McCarthy again.
    Yes. They loaded it up with crazy amendments so that Dems would never vote for it and then they killed their own bill. They are following Trump’s orders to shut down the government. No different than Jordan and Comer following Trump’s orders to impeach Biden.

So McCarthy is telling the Senate if they don't drop the Ukraine money from their bill, it's DOA in the House. Pretty sure that's not the case if he let it hit the floor.

Agreed. They only need five Republicans to join the Democrats in voting for it, right?

So McCarthy is telling the Senate if they don't drop the Ukraine money from their bill, it's DOA in the House. Pretty sure that's not the case if he let it hit the floor.
    He’s even more of a weasel than I thought, and that’s saying something. 😡

This is the way, and Dems are going to have to push McCarthy to do it, because he’s too stupid or cowardly to do it himself.

This is the way, and Dems are going to have to push McCarthy to do it, because he’s too stupid or cowardly to do it himself.

I can't think of a weaker and more ineffectual speaker. Pelosi is right. You don't bring a bill to the floor if you don't have the votes. Does he believe that those maga clowns are shy if their vote is on record? They don't respect him and he cannot threaten them. (thanks gerrymandering and newt). Why show how little control he has over his own caucus. I don't think we're gonna not see another credit downgrade, which will cost the government billions more.

I saw the Utah governor saying he was confident that his national parks will stay open despite the shutdown. And that those communities will be safe. He has "representatives in DC negotiating for those parks to stay open because the consequences will be whole communities will fail. What is he smoking? How will they remain open if there is a shutdown??? His damn party is doing this. Tell those reps to stop this crap.

I saw the Utah governor saying he was confident that his national parks will stay open despite the shutdown.
    I saw a clip about one of the parks out west - Trump had them all stay open during his pointless 35day shutdown - and how much damage was done to the fragile ecosystem. People ran wild - had fires in restricted areas, rode 4-wheelers through wild untouched areas, knocked over cactuses that were old and supposed to be protected. It said you can still see the damage today.

I saw a clip about one of the parks out west - Trump had them all stay open during his pointless 35day shutdown - and how much damage was done to the fragile ecosystem. People ran wild - had fires in restricted areas, rode 4-wheelers through wild untouched areas, knocked over cactuses that were old and supposed to be protected. It said you can still see the damage today.
    “What’s happened to our park in the last 34 days is irreparable for the next 200 to 300 years,” Curt Sauer said at a rally over the weekend, according to a report from the Desert Sun. Sauer retired in 2010 after running the park for seven years.

The park reopened Monday after the record 35-day shutdown, and park workers returned to a state of chaos, including damaged trees, graffiti and ruined trails. The reduced ranger supervision during the shutdown saw increased vandalism at the park, causing officials to announce on 8 January that Joshua Tree would temporarily close. It was announced a day later that officials were able to use recreation fee revenue to avoid the closure.

I saw the Utah governor saying he was confident that his national parks will stay open despite the shutdown. And that those communities will be safe. He has "representatives in DC negotiating for those parks to stay open because the consequences will be whole communities will fail. What is he smoking? How will they remain open if there is a shutdown??? His damn party is doing this. Tell those reps to stop this crap.

Basically what happens is that the states use their own state budget funds to transfer to the Park Service to keep operating. Only Arizona and Utah have done it but I suppose any state could because the Park Service has legal authority to accept the funds and operate.

They do it because when the parks close the local economic impact is substantial. Not only are the nearby hotels, restaurants, outfitters, tours, etc impacted by cancellations but also the contractor businesses that operate in the parks close.

The irony of course here at least for Arizona is that their Republican reps voted against the CR forcing this upon their state. The rep for the district that includes Grand Canyon voted against it - bringing direct harm to his district.

The Utah delegation all voted for it.

How can you calm him a coward? He said “If I have to risk my job for standing up for the American public, I will do that.”

I mean…we should believe him when he says that, right? ….. right?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom