Looming budget battle: Will the GOP force federal shutdown (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    Annual federal appropriations will lapse on September 30, 2023 - now less than a month away. After the debt-ceiling fight, many anticipated that the FY 2024 funding battle could see a federal government shutdown of some length as Republicans push for more budget cuts . . . and that was before Special Counsel Jack Smith's office filed two separate criminal prosecutions of Donald Trump. Desperate to hit back in any way they can, the MAGAs in Congress have already said they will attempt to de-fund the prosecution. Of course, the only way they could even attempt to do that would be to force a shutdown of the entire federal government, or at least the civilian executive agencies presuming a bill funding DOD could get through.

It's hard to imagine that they won't try this, the questions are when will they try it and how much of the GOP goes along with the MAGAs (i.e. Freedom Caucus), particularly in the Senate where McConnell has already indicated no interest in such a gambit . . . though McConnell's health may eventually come into play. Would, for example, the Republicans agree to a continuing resolution to fund the government for several months to allow the time to get closer to the Trump federal trial dates before actually attempting a shutdown? (March 4 in DC and May 20 in Florida).

One factor in play is that federal funding rules allow the Article III courts (which include the federal district and appellate courts) to continue operation in a shutdown and they also allow for federal agencies to continue with "excepted" activities that include, generally, federal criminal prosecutions. (See article below). This allowance, however, is not perpetual, it is funded by other sources that do eventually dry up - so eventually they would shut down. Hypothetically, but such a lengthy shutdown would be terribly detrimental to the economy and have substantial political damage for the party perceived to have caused it . . . in this case that wouldn't be much of a debate.

For those reasons, I think the smarter GOP leaders, particularly in the Senate, will recognized that trying to use the budget as a tool to harm the Trump prosecutions is a fool's game: it's almost certain not to achieve that goal and it's to bring about substantial harm. But the MAGAs aren't as smart and given their wild allegiance to Trump, we can expect some sort of effort. At minimum it gives them an ability to say to their MAGA constituents that they tried to shutdown the prosecutions but were sold out by the RINOs in the Senate.

Going to be an interesting showdown. I don't think I can recall a shutdown battle where actually shutting the government down so that it couldn't function was the objective rather than a tool for coercion. Crazy.

On the other hand, it takes a special kind of hypocrisy for Rs to get their panties in a wad over this.

Yeah, the R's making noise about this can go:mad1: themselves! The D's don't need their input on holding someone accountable for their actions, the R's delegation is overflowing with actual known criminals which they all turn a blind-eye to.

Senate is voting right now - so far only 3 votes against.

I just saw the same report!!!! I hope they nail his dumb arse! HE'S 47 NOT 7.
    so, as facts emerge - he didn’t pull an alarm to delay a vote. It was an alarm in one of the office buildings, not the Capitol. It was a door that is normally open through the week, but is closed on weekends. There are signs that are not entirely clear that say something like Emergency Exit Only, Alarm will Sound - Activate Alarm and Door will Unlock in 3 Seconds. He was in a hurry to get to the House Chamber to vote and this was his normal route, so he didn’t take time to think and just activated the alarm so the doors would unlock.

His statement says he is embarrassed by his error in pulling the alarm. No vote was delayed, the building wasn’t even evacuated or anything as it was quickly determined it was a false alarm.

Here is what I would like to know - how did regular reporters and news outlets come to the conclusion that what happened was a deliberate attempt to delay a vote (that he voted in favor of)? And how is it that we saw numerous Rs immediately release statements calling him a terrorist and calling for his prosecution and imprisonment? Really?

So ridiculous.

A move to oust Kevin McCarthy as House speaker could come as early as Monday, the Florida congressman Matt Gaetz said on Sunday, as Republican extremists plotted revenge for McCarthy’s bipartisan deal with Democrats to avoid a government shutdown.

“We need to rip off the Bandaid. We need to move on with new leadership that can be trustworthy,” Gaetz said on CNN’s State of the Union, saying he would file a “motion to vacate” sometime this week. The House sits at noon on Monday.

McCarthy, Gaetz said, lied about “a secret deal” he claimed was struck with Democrats to later pass money for Ukraine that was left out of the compromise bill, and that he misled Republicans about working with Democrats in the first place to get the shutdown bill through……

“The one thing everybody has in common is that nobody trusts Kevin McCarthy,” Gaetz, a member of the rightwing House Freedom Caucus said.

“He lied to Biden, he lied to House conservatives. He had appropriators marking to a different number altogether. And the reason we were backed up against the shutdown politics is not a bug of the system. It’s a feature.”

Gaetz said he would no longer hold to an agreement made in January to support McCarthy for speaker in exchange for, among other concessions, a hard conservative position on federal funding. That deal included a loosening of House rules that would allow a single member to file a motion to vacate, the beginning of the process to remove a speaker.

“The only way Kevin McCarthy is speaker of the House at the end of this coming week is if Democrats bail him out, and they probably will,” said Gaetz.

“I’m done owning Kevin McCarthy. We made a deal in January to allow him to assume the speakership and I’m not owning him anymore because he doesn’t tell the truth. And so if Democrats want to own Kevin McCarthy by bailing him out I can’t stop them. But then he’ll be their speaker, not mine.”

Relations between the speaker and Gaetz reached a new low with a testy confrontation in a closed meeting on Thursday.……..

McCarthy thinks we are all maga voters.
    He expects the Lickspittle Media to let him get away with it. To let him spout some insane lie and just move on.

"That was Speaker McCarthy live on Filet of Sole. Brought to you by Spitshine Shoeblack, the most delicious polish on the market."

These Repubs lie so effortlessly.

1696350659121.png

Last edited:
    I don't think moderate Republicans or moderate Dems would do that. They both still need to run in primaries and would be susceptible to challengers from the right/left wings of their parties. But as we see from the CR vote, Dems are more willing to work and compromise on solutions to problem's.
    Moderates from both parties are usually okay since they are in less extreme districts. I think they would survive bipartinsanship, otherwise they probably wouldn’t have their seats.

The extremist got the Ukraine funding removed. They keep getting little wins by threatening anarchy. The only way to stop them is to get a moderate speaker that works across the aisle.

Everyone I am reading says they have zero doubt that a Ukraine funding bill will get passed.

There has to be a speaker to put the Ukraine funding bill on the floor. The extremist have won so far.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom