Is Russia about to invade Ukraine? (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    Russia continues to mass assets within range of Ukraine - though the official explanations are that they are for various exercises. United States intelligence has noted that Russian operatives in Ukraine could launch 'false flag' operations as a predicate to invasion. The West has pressed for negotiations and on Friday in Geneva, the US Sec. State Blinken will meet with the Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov.

Certainly the Russian movements evidence some plan - but what is it? Some analysts believe that Putin's grand scheme involves securing Western commitments that NATO would never expand beyond its current composition. Whether that means action in Ukraine or merely the movement of pieces on the chess board remains to be seen.

VIENNA — No one expected much progress from this past week’s diplomatic marathon to defuse the security crisis Russia has ignited in Eastern Europe by surrounding Ukraine on three sides with 100,000 troops and then, by the White House’s accounting, sending in saboteurs to create a pretext for invasion.

But as the Biden administration and NATO conduct tabletop simulations about how the next few months could unfold, they are increasingly wary of another set of options for President Vladimir V. Putin, steps that are more far-reaching than simply rolling his troops and armor over Ukraine’s border.

Mr. Putin wants to extend Russia’s sphere of influence to Eastern Europe and secure written commitments that NATO will never again enlarge. If he is frustrated in reaching that goal, some of his aides suggested on the sidelines of the negotiations last week, then he would pursue Russia’s security interests with results that would be felt acutely in Europe and the United States.

There were hints, never quite spelled out, that nuclear weapons could be shifted to places — perhaps not far from the United States coastline — that would reduce warning times after a launch to as little as five minutes, potentially igniting a confrontation with echoes of the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis.

I get you. I feel the same way. Mark Hertling is a superb read daily. He is the most bullish towards the Ukrainian army that I've seen. He worked with them I believe and trusts their training and skill.

Yeah their history has been tragic. Especially unfortunate is how the Russians perceive them. And the world actually. Some Russian experts reflected that they overlooked Ukraine; that they may have focused too heavily on Russia.
    Ever since this whole mess started, the more I learn about the Ukranian people, the more I like them. I've watched a lot of interviews and I feel like I can related to a lot of what they're talking about. Their suffering is just heartbreaking and it pisses me off that Russia and Putin feels they need to conquer Ukraine and make it a puppet state. The Ukranian people deserve the opportunity of self determination. I want to like Russia. I think a lot of their people are cool. But this war is just ruining all of that for me.

Well, there were US diplomats in Kyiv just a few days ago so...:shrug:.

We should be concerned though. We can't take Putin's words lightly either though. A lot of people didn't think Russia would invade Ukraine, yet here we are. Putin and his ambassador talking like nukes are an option if they feel the need to use them should be a grave concern. I hope it's just saber rattling, except that it isn't. We can saber rattle with a lot of things, but with CBN, it's completely irresponsible and Russia should be alarmed that their leaders are doing this. It's beyond the pale.
    I think there are US diplomats in Kyiv now. Otherwise It would be hard to explain this tweet without them being there:

My point is that Ukraine should be viewed as the proxy war that it is for the US.
    A proxy war in the sense that we are providing arms for a country to fight for itself to continue existing. A proxy war so we don’t have to fight a hot nuclear war. And most importantly, a proxy war we didn’t start.

Putin is 100% responsible for invading Ukraine and everything horrible that's happened since then.
    And don’t you forget it.

I think there are US diplomats in Kyiv now. Otherwise It would be hard to explain this tweet without them being there:

How I interpret this is that he was a former guard for the us embassy before the invasion, and is now Kia. That doesn't mean we now have diplomats besides the two secretaries who were in Kyiv. blinken made it a point to correct his previous comments that us diplomats will return. It will only to be lviv on a rotational basis. Its not to say that we won't in the future. As far as I know he has not announced anything differently.

Nope.

What would be the UK's motivation to kill a known former KGB/FSB officer who sought them out for asylum as he fled Russia after he discovered that he had a price on his head??? Even if he turned out to be a double super secret agent, he would have been a more valuable prisoner than a dead man.
    The (Russian) notion that Russia wasn't behind that and it was somehow the UK is an absolute non-starter anyway. Because the Russian nationals behind it were identified. And then they did that car-crash of an interview on RT where they claimed they were just tourists, who'd flown to London for just two nights, and had gone to Salisbury to see its "famous 123-metre spire" and 'Stonehenge, Old Sarum' on Saturday, but had to turn back "after half an hour" because "it was covered in snow" and "there was muddy slush everywhere" (note: the cathedral is ten minutes walk from the train station, and Salisbury was not covered in snow). So then then went back to Salisbury again on the Sunday, only to go in the opposite direction to the Cathedral (note: you can see that 'famous 123-metre spire' from the station) on a route that took them to the area of Skripal's house.

Even ignoring literally everything else (and there's a lot of 'everything else'), to think that maybe Russia wasn't responsible, you'd have to think the UK somehow arranged, in order to blame Russia, to have those two Russians fly into London for just those two nights at that particular time, visit Salisbury in a completely implausible way, and then somehow persuaded RT to have them on to confirm that yes, they were there, and yes, that really is their story.

Anyone who thinks that maybe the UK could do that is bending over backwards to accommodate the Russian narrative so far they're standing on their head.

I really hope this is true. Considering how Chechnya soldiers are treated in that army, I wouldn't doubt this report.

Well done by the BBC on Zelensky. I remember earlier in the war reading somewhere that when he visited the white house in 2021, the us didn't have a good impression of him. They didnt think he would be up to the task against Russia. And from the looks of his early year in office, that was the correct conclusion. As it turns out the moment was just waiting to define him. I dont believe poroshenko would be as capable of branding this war as a struggle for Europe and the free world.

Why do you consider a possible source of bias for sources you don’t agree with, yet accept at face value those sources you like?

Hint: there’s a name for that. You should familiarize yourself with the concept.
    Thats rich coming from you. You usually go straight to the credibility of whatever sources I post, say they have an axe to grind, or claim it's just an editorial.

Your stance here is alarmingly isolationist, and just not viable in the modern world. Do you really think that allowing Russia to continue to expand ruthlessly into Europe is in our best interests?

Not to mention the concept of “noblesse oblige”. We are the richest country in the world.
    If we hadn't destabilized Ukraine and used them as a proxy against Russia then I would be much more supportive of Ukraine against Russia.

Being the richest country in the world gives us the right to interfere in other countries? What about all of the people who are killed in the process, their homes destroyed, etc?

What about what it does to our troops who are involved? The troops who aren't killed are changed for life and have a big chance of committing suicide.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom