Increasing racist attacks on Asians (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/02/09/attacks-asian-american-elderly-/

I will admit, I didn't know anything about these these strings of attacks and the murder of elderly Asian American out west. Really disturbing. In most cases, they have caught sub human scum that have committed these crimes.
    In the case of the murder of Ratanapakdee, I sincerely hope the death penalty will be sought, although that is not possible in the state of CA.

minor vs adult? Is that what you are asking? Should a 10 year old be treated the same for the same crime as a 45 year old?

I am asking if a victim's age should matter in how a crime is charged. Do you think the sentencing guidelines should be the same for sexual assault, for example, regardless of the victim's age? Should sexually assaulting a 35-year-old have the same sentencing guidelines as sexually assaulting a 5-year-old?

Doesn't it already? If a man kills another man because he is green. Does it matter that he killed that man with ill will toward the color green or because he had ill will toward that human? As a lefty, you will say 'yes'. As a righty, I would say it doesn't because he still killed the man because of ill will. What makes ill will toward skin pigment more heinous than ill will toward a human because he didn't like his name (for example).

Hate crimes are just another way the government can keep claiming and stoking their racial fires that they rely on to survive in power. Also an easy virtue signal for the masses to cover the fact that they are not doing their jobs at all. IMO.
    You didn’t answer the question, you just projected what you thought I was asking.

I will try again - for example - should a person who steals food because they are hungry or their children are hungry have the same punishment as someone who steals just for the thrill of it?

Doesn't it already? If a man kills another man because he is green. Does it matter that he killed that man with ill will toward the color green or because he had ill will toward that human? As a lefty, you will say 'yes'. As a righty, I would say it doesn't because he still killed the man because of ill will. What makes ill will toward skin pigment more heinous than ill will toward a human because he didn't like his name (for example).

The difference is obvious if you give it a few seconds of thought. Hate crimes flow from racism, which is a societal problem. When we see increases in racism and acceptance/use of white nationalist rhetoric, like we have since Trump and 2016, we see increases in hate crimes. Hate crime laws focus attention, enforcement and punishment on these crimes to discourage the spread of targeted crimes against specific communities and to discourage racism and white nationalist rhetoric overall.

The difference is obvious if you give it a few seconds of thought. Hate crimes flow from racism, which is a societal problem. When we see increases in racism and acceptance/use of white nationalist rhetoric, like we have since Trump and 2016, we see increases in hate crimes. Hate crime laws focus attention, enforcement and punishment on these crimes to discourage the spread of targeted crimes against specific communities and to discourage racism and white nationalist rhetoric overall.
    Not only that, but it seems to me that motive has always played a part in punishment for crime. No matter how much people want to spin it, it’s not new and it’s not performative.

I am asking if a victim's age should matter in how a crime is charged. Do you think the sentencing guidelines should be the same for sexual assault, for example, regardless of the victim's age? Should sexually assaulting a 35-year-old have the same sentencing guidelines as sexually assaulting a 5-year-old?
    Victims age, yes. While all rapists should be executed, I think especially those that hurt children should be at the front of the line and should die with people mocking him.
    I think this boils down the 'motive' of the crime.

You didn’t answer the question, you just projected what you thought I was asking.

I will try again - for example - should a person who steals food because they are hungry or their children are hungry have the same punishment as someone who steals just for the thrill of it?
    I don't understand how that deals with a crime a person?
    The motive would be up the jury or judge to decide in a case of theft.

I like how you use white nationalism as synonymous with racism as if only whites are racist.
    I can see why they told us it was a good thing. It makes everyone feel all warm and fuzzy but what does it really matter. The crime was committed regardless if the criminal disliked Asian people. It is appearing to me that 'hate crimes' are being used on anything that involved people of different colors and to me, that is just the state not doing its job and distracting us by a virtue signal.

I like how you use white nationalism as synonymous with racism as if only whites are racist.

This is probably information you haven't been told before, but white nationalism is the predominant form of racism here in the USA. Also something you may not know, white nationalism is synonymous with racism.

I can see why they told us it was a good thing. It makes everyone feel all warm and fuzzy but what does it really matter. The crime was committed regardless if the criminal disliked Asian people.

It has nothing to do with feelings.

It is appearing to me that 'hate crimes' are being used on anything that involved people of different colors and to me, that is just the state not doing its job and distracting us by a virtue signal.

A lot of things "appear" to you that aren't.

Victims age, yes. While all rapists should be executed, I think especially those that hurt children should be at the front of the line and should die with people mocking him.
    I think this boils down the 'motive' of the crime.

So you admit that punishments should differ based on immutable characteristics in the case of age.

This is probably information you haven't been told before, but white nationalism is the predominant form of racism here in the USA. Also something you may not know, white nationalism is synonymous with racism.

It has nothing to do with feelings.

A lot of things "appear" to you that aren't.
    Yeah, I have never heard that before! LOL. Yeah, I hear it all the time, mainly from the DNC. I don't know if anyone has told you before but racism is not exclusive to white nationalism. I would be willing to bet that white supremacy is not nearly a threat as much as the bigotry of low expectations is to minority in this country. But votes are needed and propaganda arm of the DNC (media) will make sure everyone only sees the white nationalist boogeyman.
    I consider racism to be a feeling. What would you consider racism, on it basic human level?

So you admit that punishments should differ based on immutable characteristics in the case of age.
    Yes. Age has always been a part of our justice system, way back to English common law.

Yes. Age has always been a part of our justice system, way back to English common law.

Age and race are both immutable characteristics. What's the difference between laws that call for harsher punishments for crimes against one group based on the immutable characteristic of age and laws that call for harsher punishments based on the immutable characteristic of race?

Yeah, I have never heard that before! LOL. Yeah, I hear it all the time, mainly from the DNC. I don't know if anyone has told you before but racism is not exclusive to white nationalism. I would be willing to bet that white supremacy is not nearly a threat as much as the bigotry of low expectations is to minority in this country. But votes are needed and propaganda arm of the DNC (media) will make sure everyone only sees the white nationalist boogeyman.

That's a ridiculous belief. As a minority, I can report to you that there was no bigotry of low expectations in my home or society growing up.

I consider racism to be a feeling. What would you consider racism, on it basic human level?

Racism is belief that races are unequal and separate based on innate/biological differences, that leads to discrimination. Which is an action that benefits one race over the other. Racism is not the only belief that leads to discrimination, but it is the main one here in the USA.

Age and race are both immutable characteristics. What's the difference between laws that call for harsher punishments for crimes against one group based on the immutable characteristic of age and laws that call for harsher punishments based on the immutable characteristic of race?
    Because in the US, we are all the same under the law. Sex, religion, color and creed should have no bearing.

That's a ridiculous belief. As a minority, I can report to you that there was no bigotry of low expectations in my home or society growing up.

Racism is belief that races are unequal and separate based on innate/biological differences, that leads to discrimination. Which is an action that benefits one race over the other. Racism is not the only belief that leads to discrimination, but it is the main one here in the USA.
    I would have guessed. We are the same age and we grew up in the 90s.

https://apnews.com/article/e60b78b76fe1825305d14901ef18478f

Nearly nine out of 10 black teen-agers said racism has little impact on their day-to-day lives, according to a Time-CNN poll released Sunday.

But the survey also found more than half of all teen-agers - 62 percent of blacks and 58 whites - believe racism is ``a big problem.″

Specifically asked about racism in their own lives, 89 percent of black teen-agers said racism was ``a small problem″ or ``not a problem at all.″

I find it odd that now, everything is about racism. It is everything in our society and it does not even really exist in this country, outside of actual racist Peice of work off all colors. It is almost as if this was a parallels the rise with the power of the Democratic party.....probably just a coincidence though, right? We all know the DNC is based completely on identity politics, do you think that plays a part in them getting votes?

Because in the US, we are all the same under the law. Sex, religion, color and creed should have no bearing.
    Why is age different?

Age has always been a part of our justice system, way back to English common law.
    Slavery was a part of our justice system, as well. Is it your argument that because the founders were racist, we cannot judge racist crimes more harshly?

How come you think that age- something we can't control but can play a factor when it comes to the commission of crimes- deserves a harsher punishment- while other immutable characteristics don't get the same consideration? If we are all the same under the law, why do you support disparate punishments in one situation but not in a comparable situation?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom