Impeachment Round Two (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Yggdrasill

Reaction score
    I am in the camp that Trump must -not should- be impeached. If not this President, for this behavior, then what bar would have to be cleared to merit impeachment?

Impeachment not only sends a signal to the country and the world that fomenting a coup is unacceptable and will be punished, but it also removes much of the threat Trump could pose going forward as, I understand it, he would lose his pension, his access to daily security briefings, free medical care and other amenities and benefits afforded to former Presidents. If impeached, he would not meet the definition of a Former President under the Former Presidents Act. I don't think it is clear whether he would continue to receive Secret Service protection.

Two great tweets from Robert Reich:

"If a president is not impeached and removed from office for seeking to overthrow the government of the United States in order to remain in power, I don't know what the Framers of the Constitution meant by impeachment."

"When Mitch McConnell says 10 days before an inauguration doesn't provide enough time to impeach and remove Trump, remind him he confirmed a Supreme Court justice 8 days before an election."

The article has been officially introduced and will likely be voted on Wednesday.

" Democrats also tried to move a resolution Monday urging Vice President Mike Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment to remove Trump from power, but House Republicans blocked the request "

because of course the (R) did :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Being in a pro forma session (i think), it only takes one objection. You need unanimous consent to introduce legislation during pro forma sessions iirc.

Wow. That's a startlingly admission most aren't willing to make.

I'm livid and so are most of the Conservatives I know. It's not a Q party fest in the Right circles, trust me. We're po'ed too. This isn't who we are or what we represent. We gave Trump every benefit of the doubt, hoped he would be a welcomed change of pace to a stale political America. Instead, he's going out like the Hindenburg. Along with it, goes the Presidency, the Senate, and any idea of having a non-political presidential candidate ever again. The Conservative image is completely trashed, and tied to Trump and his merry band of psychos. Now I know how Muslims feel being bundled with terrorism. What a complete forking disaster!

I'm livid and so are most of the Conservatives I know. It's not a Q party fest in the Right circles, trust me. We're po'ed too. This isn't who we are or what we represent. We gave Trump every benefit of the doubt, hoped he would be a welcomed change of pace to a stale political America. Instead, he's going out like the Hindenburg. Along with it, goes the Presidency, the Senate, and any idea of having a non-political presidential candidate ever again. The Conservative image is completely trashed, and tied to Trump and his merry band of psychos. Now I know how Muslims feel being bundled with terrorism. What a complete forking disaster!

If the remaining Republicans in Congress that aren't under Trump's spell had any balls, they'd be leading the impeachment and end any possibility of Trump running again. That would pretty much put and end to Trump politically.

But they're too scared of his base. Not just losing their votes, but actual violence to them and their family.

Last edited:
    If the remaining Republicans in Congress that aren't under Trump's spell had any balls, they'd be leading the impeachment and end any possibility of Trump running again. That would pretty much put and end to Trump politically.

But they're to scared of his base. Not just losing their votes, but actual violence to them and their family.

To which, of course, the base would reply "Good!" "That's what the Second Amendment is for."

I cannot for the life of me see why the republicans don’t get rid of trump. Yes it will cause mad upset with his supporters, but then 2 years from now will that still be there? Where as you let him leave with no accountability he’s going to keep popping up to be a problem. He seems like the sort that will run in 2024, at least just to be a problem and stir up garbage out of spite.
    Kick him to the curb in disgrace, keep him from running for election and creating another stench. He has no loyalty to the republicans. None what so ever

The inevitable Insurrection Commission that is going to be formed will find a lot of ties between some of them and the planning of the attack on the capital. If they were smart they’d throw Trump under the bus in return for not having that Insurrection Commission.

But they aren’t smart, and they will let it all burn to the ground for Trump.

I'm having a really hard time understanding how we shouldn't impeach the guy who made an endless string of false accusations about election integrity, misleading his supporters and damaging democratic institutions in the United States before inciting an unprecedented attack on on the U.S. Capitol where the top three officials in the presidential order of succession were performing an essential constitutional function in the transfer of power because "we need unity."

...inciting an unprecedented attack on on the U.S. Capitol where the top three officials in the presidential order of succession were performing an essential constitutional function in the transfer of power because "we need unity."
    That makes his actions seem even more nefarious, in particular, the fact that 2 of 3 are Republicans shows that it has nothing to do with unity and everything to do with him consolidating power for himself.

That makes his actions seem even more nefarious, in particular, the fact that 2 of 3 are Republicans shows that it has nothing to do with unity and everything to do with him consolidating power for himself.

Where was "unity" when they filed more than 60 legal actions (all of them dismissed) to void millions of Americans' votes? Where was "unity" when he refused to concede after the vote was certified and every other Republican official of any consequence recognized Biden's win? Where was "unity" when he unleashed a mob on the U.S. Capitol?

It's such a specious and cowardly argument.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom