Impeachment Round Two (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Yggdrasill

Reaction score
    I am in the camp that Trump must -not should- be impeached. If not this President, for this behavior, then what bar would have to be cleared to merit impeachment?

Impeachment not only sends a signal to the country and the world that fomenting a coup is unacceptable and will be punished, but it also removes much of the threat Trump could pose going forward as, I understand it, he would lose his pension, his access to daily security briefings, free medical care and other amenities and benefits afforded to former Presidents. If impeached, he would not meet the definition of a Former President under the Former Presidents Act. I don't think it is clear whether he would continue to receive Secret Service protection.

That is what I think will happen also, GA. I do think he will be pressured a bit to resign, by appealing to his ego and his pocketbook. By resigning he can avoid the stigma of being the only president to ever have been impeached twice, a feat he would have accomplished in only one term. Also, if what I read about him losing some of his monetary perks if he is impeached, well, that might be enough to convince him to resign on Jan 19 or even early on Jan. 20. Just a guess.
    Would Trump lose any benefits if he resigns? Can he still run for president again? If so, then they should still impeach him.

He can’t pardon in cases of impeachment

I understand that, but that wasn't really what I was trying to ask. He can (attempt) to pardon himself for everything else. Impeachment isn't going to land him in jail, it's just going to put him out of office. No big deal for someone leaving in a few days anyway. So if he knows impeachment is coming or even 25th amendment, I think this is going to push him even harder to try to self pardon. If that makes sense?

The House isn't handing out subpoenas. One, they're not required if the Rules Committee deems it. And what testimony is needed? They all witnessed it themselves. The president isn't guaranteed a defense until the trial begins in the Senate.

I truly expect Trump to be impeached before the end of next week unless he resigns (he won't) or Pence steps in with the 25th Amendment (which doesn't seem to be happening). The trial will begin after the inauguration.

This is the most likely scenario, and I think it should be delayed for that reason. First, confirm Biden's admin picks, and any legislation that can be passed via reconciliation.

The House isn't handing out subpoenas. One, they're not required if the Rules Committee deems it. And what testimony is needed? They all witnessed it themselves. The president isn't guaranteed a defense until the trial begins in the Senate.

I truly expect Trump to be impeached before the end of next week unless he resigns (he won't) or Pence steps in with the 25th Amendment (which doesn't seem to be happening). The trial will begin after the inauguration.
    It seems were focused on different things about this situation. Seems you're focused on the specifics of how this particular situation will or won't play out. I'm more wondering about the machinations of it all in general beyond just Trump and this situation. Any president can avoid being compelled to testify before Congress as a sitting president. I'm just wondering whether an ex-president can as well. That's all.

Delay what? The trial? I would be ok with that long as it isn't delayed too long. Impeachment needs to happen now though.

Yeah, I honestly don't think Nancy could stop the house members. I expect a few Republicans to vote for it this time around as well.

If he's convicted in the Senate, he can't hold any federal office again, including the presidency.
    I know the implications of the conviction from impeachment. My question is about the implications of resignation.

I know the implications of the conviction from impeachment. My question is about the implications of resignation.
    Resignation doesn’t impact his benefits or protections as a former president.

Resignation doesn’t impact his benefits or protections as a former president.
    then that should not be an option.

My question is if he gets impeached by the house will it stop his ability to pardon anymore walking and talking human pieces of shirt!

From Republican Senator Sherrod Brown of Ohio:

If he's saying this about Cruz and Hawley you have to assume he would vote to convict Trump after impeached.

I also saw an interview with Bill Cassidy the tone of which implies he would vote to convict. Consider Cassidy was just reelected to a six-year term and could very well retire when it expires in 2026 when he'd be about 70 years old.

All that's needed is 15-16 GOP votes. Pretty clear they already have around four or five: Murkowski, Toomey, Brown, Romney and most likely Susan Collins.

Edited: I'm dumb.

Last edited:
    How many votes do you need to expel a Senator? Frankly I’m more interested in showing members of Congress that there’s a price to pay for this than even Trump. He would have been nothing without his enablers.
    I think it’s a majority. Probably won’t happen. I believe they can be disciplined. Removed from any committees.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom