/* */

Harris VP watch (8 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Here is a link to an interview in which Shapiro addresses campus protests. He calls out antisemitism and Islamophobia, and draws a distinction between peaceful protests and harassing and disrupting other students and campus personnel.

None of his commentary seems unreasonable to me.

Too many people find nuance to be unreasonable. Binary or bust.

I haven’t read anything that is compelling enough to abandon the ticket.

I don't know what is considered compelling, but here are 3 examples in the letter I posted above:
    The Scranton incident is one of several examples this year in which Shapiro has had to publicly contend with Pennsylvanians frustrated by what they see as his embrace of fossil fuel interests.

Last summer, he backed a controversial Republican voucher proposal to the chagrin of longtime party allies and influential unions that supported his candidacy — though he ultimately vetoed the language after facing opposition from fellow Democrats.

Pennsylvania Dem accuses potential Harris VP pick Gov. Josh Shapiro of sexism, covering up sexual harassment
    While McClelland did not offer details on her accusation Shapiro “swept sexual harassment under the rug,” The Philadelphia Inquirer said she “was likely referring to a sexual harassment scandal in Shapiro’s office last year.”

The scandal involved a woman who accused her boss, Shapiro legislative liaison Mike Vereb, of sexual harassment. The governor’s office quietly reached a $295,000 settlement with her.

I don't know what is considered compelling, but here are 3 examples in the letter I posted above:
    The Scranton incident is one of several examples this year in which Shapiro has had to publicly contend with Pennsylvanians frustrated by what they see as his embrace of fossil fuel interests.

Last summer, he backed a controversial Republican voucher proposal to the chagrin of longtime party allies and influential unions that supported his candidacy — though he ultimately vetoed the language after facing opposition from fellow Democrats.

Pennsylvania Dem accuses potential Harris VP pick Gov. Josh Shapiro of sexism, covering up sexual harassment
    While McClelland did not offer details on her accusation Shapiro “swept sexual harassment under the rug,” The Philadelphia Inquirer said she “was likely referring to a sexual harassment scandal in Shapiro’s office last year.”

The scandal involved a woman who accused her boss, Shapiro legislative liaison Mike Vereb, of sexual harassment. The governor’s office quietly reached a $295,000 settlement with her.

Shapiro is not my top choice (I still prefer Walz and Beshear) but no, none of those are reasons I think people should abandon the ticket.

Shapiro is not my top choice (I still prefer Walz and Beshear) but no, none of those are reasons I think people should abandon the ticket.
    I probably should have said more words lol. For example, some of his past/policies makes him less ideal of a pick. I think abandon the ticket is too strong of a stance

I'd be fine with either but really like Kelly....we will see soon enough....

I probably should have said more words lol. For example, some of his past/policies makes him less ideal of a pick. I think abandon the ticket is too strong of a stance

Understood. I was just reiterating that was my point. Every candidate is going to have something related to them that some voters aren’t going to like.

“Marwan Kreidie, from the Philadelphia Arab American Development Corp., applauds Gov. Josh Shapiro for listening to and working with the Muslim and Arab community despite disagreements.”

“Marwan Kreidie, from the Philadelphia Arab American Development Corp., applauds Gov. Josh Shapiro for listening to and working with the Muslim and Arab community despite disagreements.”

Will any of that matter to those who would oppose his selection? I doubt it, they will rebel against any selection that doesn't share 100% of their positions.

Will any of that matter to those who would oppose his selection? I doubt it, they will rebel against any selection that doesn't share 100% of their positions.

Yeah, I think that’s true for some people. It’s still important to try and reach those who are keeping an open mind, and I’m seeing hope of that on social media.

I can understand policy disagreements but the attempts to brand Shapiro as anti-Palestine / anti-protests seems to rely on distorting his comments.

Last edited:
    Understood. I was just reiterating that was my point. Every candidate is going to have something related to them that some voters aren’t going to like.
    I don't know how big of a story this is, but last thing that needs to happen is have women voters soured on someone. They are a key to victory

I don't know how big of a story this is, but last thing that needs to happen is have women voters soured on someone. They are a key to victory

This is something I’d hope can be reconciled one way or the other in the vetting process. The controversies are part of the reason I’d prefer Harris go in a different direction, but her campaign has to decide who strengthens the ticket the most and if they decide it’s Shapiro, whether he can overcome his negatives.

I'd say he is my top choice as well. I also like Walz.

This is where I am, although I will support any decision and think they all come with positives.

I’d still rather she pass on Kelly but mostly because I don’t like making his senate seat vulnerable, though that’s down the road and winning the White House is the immediate priority. I’m just not sure he is head and shoulders above the others enough to roll the dice.

Whoever Harris chooses is likely to have positions that are to the right of her, which is what is needed to attract the majority of independents. Besides being a moderate, the next most important characteristics of any VP candidate should be communication skills and broad appeal, which includes appearance. From the beginning, my favorite was Kelly, and he is still awesome, but I've reconsidered, because Kelly is from a western state and he and Gabby aren't good-looking. Shapiro and Beshear may be more appealing, and although it is very shallow, the appeal of their wives matter, and Andy Beshear's is the most attractive and appealing of the leading candidates. I believe some people like Trump because of Melania, so it would be nice to win-over some of those shallow voters. Although I don't think Beshear's wife is on the same level as Melania from a looks perspective, she is much more appealing overall. Those of us that are steeped in the news don't care, but the less engaged voters will care. I really liked both Andy and his wife Britainy in this interview. She is impressive and very likeable, so I think Beshear might help the ticket the most.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom