Harris VP watch (9 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

From an experience/governing standpoint, it has to be Walz. If she's looking to cement PA in the general, I guess you go with Shapiro. But Walz has everything she needs... 2-term governor from a state that Biden was beginning to lose. He's from a rural area with a blue collar background. And he could make her appear more moderate than what the argument from the right has been throwing...

And as much as we hate to admit it, it eliminates the Israel/Gaza turmoil that the far left will surely bring up.

And as much as we hate to admit it, it eliminates the Israel/Gaza turmoil that the far left will surely bring up.
    I’m not an expert, but I don’t think the Israel/Gaza turmoil at this point is anything but people who were never going to vote for a Democrat anyway. I saw this guy’s tweets earlier today and he has support for what he says.

Copy / pasted from Twitter:

SHOCKING Shapiro revelations:

*Voted to condemn UN resolution against Israeli settlements that Obama allowed to pass
    *Participated in AIPAC conference, called Israel "our truest and closest ally in the region, with a commitment to values of personal freedoms and liberties, surrounded by a pretty tough neighborhood"
    *Met with Netanyahu personally, released photo to media
    *Said of campus protests, "I think when Jewish students are telling us they feel unsafe in that, we need to believe them, and I do believe them... Creating a space where political dissent or political rallying can happen is one thing. Intimidation is another."
    *Said in June: "the ability of Jewish people to self-determine themselves is foundational...The failure to recognize the state of Israel is taking away that self-determination. So it is antisemitic."

Oh, sorry that was Tim Walz:
    congress.gov/bill/115th-con…

web.archive.org/web/2010060123…

tpt.org/almanac/video/…

startribune.com/st-paul-counci…”

He makes the point that Walz would probably say his views have evolved in recent years and that’s fair. I doubt you could find much difference between the two at this point in time.

I think he will be a good partner for her. He’s not much older than she it, but has been around in politics long enough. He will add a Midwest down home aspect. Great communicator.

I don't know much about Walz, but everything I've seen since the VP sweeps started has sounded and looked good. It was down between he and Shapiro, and I think either would have been a good choice. It sounds likes Harris just had a little more rapport with Walz. Which if all things are equal, you have to go with your gut.

I think Shapiro still has everything to be a future president for the Democrats.

Very good pick. When I first saw what he looked like I was afraid he might be a Tim Kaine kind of pick, but once I heard him speak I was quickly corrected. Walz will be both a strong advocate for the campaign and is also someone who could credibly step in to the Presidency.

Great choice! It’s the “doesn’t hurt the campaign” experienced choice who can help on the Hill. Shapiro was the risky, “I’m not sure I can win PA” choice. Walz is “I’m going to win and who will help me after”.

Last edited:
    Good points, and I didn’t realize he had won a state championship as a HS football coach. From a tweet.

Tim Walz is a:
    - Veteran
    - Former teacher
    - State championship winning football coach
    - Faculty advisor of the first gay-straight alliance at his school
    - Gun owner
    - Highest-ranking retired enlisted soldier ever to serve in Congress

Not to mention has more charisma in his earlobes than Vance has in his body. I can’t imagine a better choice for VP

they got no new material? YAWN

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis called it the “most left-wing ticket in American history” and accused Walz of not doing enough to protect Minnesota during the 2020 protests over the killing of George Floyd.

Donald Trump sent a fundraising email calling Walz “Dangerously Liberal” and saying he would “unleash HELL ON EARTH.”
    Moments after Harris’ VP pick became public, the former president and Republican nominee said Walz would be the worst vice president in history, claiming the Minnesota governor would “light TRILLIONS of dollars on fire” and open U.S. borders to criminals.
    “HE’S THAT BAD,” the email says.

I think we should also discuss the elephant in the room. I'm not sure how much it played into Harris's final decision, but I think Walz satiates concerns/complaints from the block of Democrats that were staying away from the Biden/Harris ticket due to the Israel/Gaza war in a way that Shapiro doesn't due to being Jewish. I don't think it was the deciding factor for Harris, which to me is a good thing. But I do think we're less likely to see boisterous opposition to the Harris/Waltz ticket the way we were seeing with Biden/Harris. Especially at the convention in Chicago. I think we would have seen more if the ticket was Harris/Shapiro.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom