Harris VP watch (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

It’s not an exciting choice. He’s not telegenic. I understand some of the logic, but it could cause her to lose some momentum. Does anyone know how well he debates?

It’s not an exciting choice. He’s not telegenic. I understand some of the logic, but it could cause her to lose some momentum. Does anyone know how well he debates?

Former high school football coach, teacher, congressman and governor .... I don't think his debate skills will be a problem, especially against Vance.

I LOVE the pick

Walz is fiery guy, clever, and a track record of accomplishments.

I didn’t think he’d be the guy, I admit..but good move to motivate progressive vote IMO. Moderates alike should be excited. This guy gets shirte done.

I kinda disagree. I'm very excited about the selection. I think Shapiro would have been more polarizing figure on the ticket, which I think the party needs to avoid.

I kinda disagree. I'm very excited about the selection. I think Shapiro would have been more polarizing figure on the ticket, which I think the party needs to avoid.
I would love to cheer the choice, but he doesn’t excite me. He seems like a good man, but it takes more than that to get votes. I look forward to hearing more from him. Hopefully he proves to be a better choice than he seems to me at first blush.

I would love to cheer the choice, but he doesn’t excite me. He seems like a good man, but it takes more than that to get votes. I look forward to hearing more from him. Hopefully he proves to be a better choice than he seems to me at first blush.

I think the Biden contingent really likes the Walz pick. I do. I want good, experienced people; don’t care if they are boring. I think he will get things done domestically.

Walz also gives Harris military credibility. That’s huge for a female Commander in Chief.

He can connect with the midwest voters something I’m not sure Harris would do well.

He’s gotten a helluva lot done in Minnesota, and actually has a track record of standing up for services and measures that our country could really use (universal pre-K, investing heavily in public education, expanding gun control measures, reproductive rights, climate ) etc.

He’s gotten a helluva lot done in Minnesota, and actually has a track record of standing up for services and measures that our country could really use (universal pre-K, investing heavily in public education, expanding gun control measures, reproductive rights, climate ) etc.

and with the chatter about the Trump admin wanting to unwind DoE, this is huge imo.

and with the chatter about the Trump admin wanting to unwind DoE, this is huge imo.
My biggest issue with Shapiro was his support of school vouchers. But had she picked him I would be looking for the silver lining right now and supporting the ticket. So, yeah, I’m excited about someone who will champion public education.

I think Lapaz was looking more for a choice that was more moderate and would talk down or put progressive in their place within the Democratic party. I'm not sure Shapiro did that exactly, but he seemed more likely to do it than Walz. That's probably why he was hoping Shapiro. Shapiro is also younger and looks more the part of charismatic politician than Walz.

A nice thread on what he has actually done for MN from a man named Gary Winslett on Twitter:

There will be a lot of commentary framing Tim Walz as a pick meant to please the progressive base. But I’m a self-identified pro-market moderate and I’m a big fan of this pick too. Here’s a brief list of what I like about him.

He signed the country’s most comprehensive Right-to-Repair law. These laws give consumers say over where and how to repair their purchases (i.e. *their property*), reduce barriers to market entry, and promote competition and innovation.

He’s proud of the state attracting business. This is not a “billionaire tears”, anti-business, harangue-on-capital kind of guy, at least not as far as I can tell. And that’s important to me.

He signed a $100 million tax cut that also simplified the tax-filing system in Minnesota. And he brags about tax cutting as part of his accomplishments. That’s cool!

He has signed green energy permitting reform, supported refugee resettlement, banned noncompete agreements that curtail workers’ economic liberty, and has strongly supported workforce development which helps businesses and workers.

Where he most leans toward expanding the state, it’s in areas like universal school lunches, more pre-K provision, and paid family leave that are the exact areas where I’m totally cool with state expansion.

It’s not just the policies though. As least from what I can tell from the videos I’ve seen, Walz doesn’t come across to me as angry. He’s a normal, nice person. I like him. And I think that matters. Angry, not nice politics is exhausting. I want nice people in office.

I think the Biden contingent really likes the Walz pick. I do. I want good, experienced people; don’t care if they are boring. I think he will get things done domestically.

Walz also gives Harris military credibility. That’s huge for a female Commander in Chief.

He can connect with the midwest voters something I’m not sure Harris would do well.
Maybe with Kamala being a major change, she needed someone solid and uncontroversial, but not exciting nor revolutionary. Buttigieg, another minority, or another women would’ve all been exciting, but very risky because it would’ve been too much change at once. Shapiro was exciting, but I guess they think he carried risk as well. Kelly and Walz are similar in some ways, but an astronaut and ex Navy commander on the ticket would’ve added more excitement. I also liked Beshear better, and I think he’ll be president some day. Walz will be solid, and may be a good choice, but he isn’t exciting.

Biden got a lot done, but it didn’t do him any good. Walz seems like a doer, which might make him a good partner, but is he going to attract more voters to help her win?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom