/* */

Harris VP watch (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Nobody will get everything to be in perfect alignment for any candidate.

That said, I have really grown to like Walz and he would be my favorite. But Harris practically has to have PA to be realistic about the Electoral College. At least I think she does.

Shapiro can probably make more headway for Harris in the state of PA if he's not on the ticket. He can focus all of his time and energy on campaigning for Harris and boosting voter turnout efforts exclusively in his state of PA.

More on Walz
    =========
    ……First, there’s his personality. The 60-year-old governor would bring energy, humor and some much-needed bite to the Democratic presidential ticket. There’s a reason why his videos have been going viral in recent days. Tim Kaine he ain’t. Pick the charismatic and eloquent Walz and you have America’s Fun Uncle ready to go.

Then, there’s his résumé. A popular midwest governor from a rural town. A 24-year veteran of the army national guard. A high school teacherwho coached the football team to its first state championship. It’s almost too perfect!

Finally, there’s his governing record. You will struggle to find a Democratic governor who has achieved more than Walz in the space of a single legislative session. Not Shapiro. Not JB Pritzker of Illinois. Not even Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan.

In May 2023, Barack Obama, of all people, shared a piece from the MinnPost on X, which laid out Walz’s very successful – and very social-democratic – legislative record in the North Star state:

“Democrats codified abortion rights, paid family and medical leave, sick leave, transgender rights protections, drivers licenses for undocumented residents, restoration of voting rights for people when they are released from prison or jail, wider voting access, one-time rebates, a tax credit aimed at low-income parents with kids, and a $1bn investment in affordable housing including for rental assistance.”

Got that? Walz basically did Biden’s “Build Back Better” on steroids, despite only a single-seat majority in the state senate.

But wait, there’s more!

“Also adopted were background checks for private gun transfers and a red-flag warning system to take guns from people deemed by a judge to be a threat to themselves or others. DFL lawmakers banned conversion therapy for LGBTQ people, legalized recreational marijuana, expanded education funding, required a carbon-free electric grid by 2040, adopted a new reading curricula based on phonics, passed a massive $2.58bn capital construction package and, at the insistence of Republicans, a $300m emergency infusion of money to nursing homes.”

Democrats at the national level can only dream of such progressive legislative victories.

Policy wins aside, Walz also comes with less political baggage than his two main rivals and is, therefore, much less likely to divide the party.…..

Last edited:
    Shapiro can probably make more headway for Harris in the state of PA if he's not on the ticket. He can focus all of his time and energy on campaigning for Harris and boosting voter turnout efforts exclusively in his state of PA.
    Likewise, some people in Pennsylvania may hold it against him for running for higher office when he’s still early in his first term.

More on Walz
    =========
    ……First, there’s his personality. The 60-year-old governor would bring energy, humor and some much-needed bite to the Democratic presidential ticket. There’s a reason why his videos have been going viral in recent days. Tim Kaine he ain’t. Pick the charismatic and eloquent Walz and you have America’s Fun Uncle ready to go.

Then, there’s his résumé. A popular midwest governor from a rural town. A 24-year veteran of the army national guard. A high school teacherwho coached the football team to its first state championship. It’s almost too perfect!

Finally, there’s his governing record. You will struggle to find a Democratic governor who has achieved more than Walz in the space of a single legislative session. Not Shapiro. Not JB Pritzker of Illinois. Not even Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan.

In May 2023, Barack Obama, of all people, shared a piece from the MinnPost on X, which laid out Walz’s very successful – and very social-democratic – legislative record in the North Star state:

“Democrats codified abortion rights, paid family and medical leave, sick leave, transgender rights protections, drivers licenses for undocumented residents, restoration of voting rights for people when they are released from prison or jail, wider voting access, one-time rebates, a tax credit aimed at low-income parents with kids, and a $1bn investment in affordable housing including for rental assistance.”

Got that? Walz basically did Biden’s “Build Back Better” on steroids, despite only a single-seat majority in the state senate.

But wait, there’s more!

“Also adopted were background checks for private gun transfers and a red-flag warning system to take guns from people deemed by a judge to be a threat to themselves or others. DFL lawmakers banned conversion therapy for LGBTQ people, legalized recreational marijuana, expanded education funding, required a carbon-free electric grid by 2040, adopted a new reading curricula based on phonics, passed a massive $2.58bn capital construction package and, at the insistence of Republicans, a $300m emergency infusion of money to nursing homes.”

Democrats at the national level can only dream of such progressive legislative victories.

Policy wins aside, Walz also comes with less political baggage than his two main rivals and is, therefore, much less likely to divide the party.…..

But why don't you see the utility of making Joe Manchin the VP?

He would be ideal.

There's a good reason I'm bringing this up. it will come out in time. Healing old wounds is the answer.

Having seen a few clips and gotten more familiar, I’m warming to him. Seems whip smart.
    He'd be fine. But why don't you consider Joe Manchin???

Joe Manchin would bring you the voters you need to win. It's easy, choose him and Kamala wins.

I don't trust Manchin. Period. The timing of some of his actions scream "compromised." But that's just me. :)
    Pretty sure Sam is goofing with his support of Manchin. I could be wrong, but that’s what I think.

I don't trust Manchin. Period. The timing of some of his actions scream "compromised." But that's just me. :)

I also think if he was on the ticket, it would erode a lot of the enthusiasm that is building around the Harris campaign. Manchin isn’t viewed favorably by a lot of people.

Organized labor is leading a quiet push for Vice President Kamala Harris to consider Sen. Gary Peters (D-Mich.) as her running mate., Axios has learned.

Why it matters: Michigan is viewed as a must-win battleground state for Democrats, and strong support from unions could make Peters an attractive strategic option for Harris.

• Labor leaders have had discussions with the Harris campaign about including Peters in the vice presidential selection process, one senior Democratic source told Axios.
    • A Michigan Democratic Party official told Axios Peters is interestein the nomination and has been working to drum up support.
    • And one senior House Democrat from Michigan signaled to Axios that Peters' name is in the mix.
    The big picture: Peters has raised his national profile by leading the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, Senate Democrats' campaign arm, after winning a competitive Senate seat in 2014.

• He was the only non-incumbent Democrat to win a Senate election that year.
    • Peters has won praise from fellow Democrats for helping the party retain its Senate majority in 2022 despite historical headwinds that favored Republicans.
    The intrigue: There could be a Michigan-sized hole in Democrats' roster of potential vice presidential contenders now that Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has effectively taken herself out of the running.

• Securing the Midwest state's 15 electoral votes will be an important part of any path to victory for Harris in November.........

This was Walz the other day -- this might even be what started the "weird" labeling. He strikes me as a good communicator, someone who can connect with a wide audience (his teaching background surely helps in this regard).

Yeah, I believe he started it and it just took off. Because it’s so true.

This was Walz the other day -- this might even be what started the "weird" labeling. He strikes me as a good communicator, someone who can connect with a wide audience (his teaching background surely helps in this regard).

prior to politics, he was a school teacher, and also in the national guard for 24 years until 2005

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom