Harris VP watch (8 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

I wouldn’t think they could. Is that what you found?
Correct, last line of the 12th Amendment: But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

(I didn't look into 1 term presidents b/c I was wondering about Obama lol)

edit: I found this long answer on reddit
"It is actually an unresolved constitutional question due to the 12th and 22nd amendments.

Note the wording of the 22nd Amendment:

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once...

A strict reading of the wording of this (key word elected) would allow that former President-turned-VP to become President but not seek another term. For example, let's say the Biden-Obama ticket won in 2020 and then Biden died in 2022; Obama could become President but not be eligible to run for President in 2024. Or let's say the Trump-Bush ticket won in 2016 and then Trump died in 2018; Bush could become President but not be eligible to run for President in 2020.

On the other hand, the 12th Amendment reads:

...no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

A two-term President is constitutionally ineligible to run for President again. So, the 12th would seem to say they could not be eligible to be Vice President.

However, the 22nd does not make a two-term President ineligible to become President again, just to be elected again.

I tend to read it as a former two-term President could be elected and become VP, but if they became President again, they would simply serve out the remainder of the resigned/dead/removed President's term.

Of course, the evil Putin-like scenario still exists. Termed out President runs for VP, new President resigns quickly allowing termed out President to return to the presidency. Repeat at each election.
"

Last edited:
I agree and it's a little over the top, but when there wasn't an actual Democratic process then I guess this kind of thing would excite Democrats.

Yeah, (yawn), I'm like I don't care who she chooses. I chose her to choose.

Gov Beshear's family name is intriguing. I looked them up because of it, and they are an old name of civil servant type of notables from England and France, moved here and have largely stayed where they landed here. They are many generations of being good Christians, by all appearances. That's the way it is I guess.

What's intriguing is I identify it as being a Jewish (Yiddish) surname. a word meaning "the perfect match." It's a part of the Shidduch tradition.

Here's video about it, that very concept put to song:

Correct, last line of the 12th Amendment: But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

(I didn't look into 1 term presidents b/c I was wondering about Obama lol)
Not 100% correct.

The 22nd doesn't necessarily make Obama ineligible for the Vice President in theory.
The 22nd Amendment only says the President can't be ELECTED more than twice.

There is no carve out excluding a two term president, serving as the VP, as the succession in the event of the President leaving office; it wouldn't be via election.

Now is not the time to test that theory however as the opposing party certainly would challenge to the SCOTUS.

Not that it would be a good idea but what would stop Harris from naming Joe Biden as VP?
Yeah, nothing constitutionally. I was on the same wavelength of thinking of Obama though. But tbh, I wouldn’t even want him. She needs her own pick.

Not that it would be a good idea but what would stop Harris from naming Joe Biden as VP?
Welp, I doubt that there would be any prohibition. That being said that would utterly obliterate her chances.

Not 100% correct.

The 22nd doesn't necessarily make Obama ineligible for the Vice President in theory.
The 22nd Amendment only says the President can't be ELECTED more than twice.

I edited my post above with more info I found ^ But how would this reconcile with the contradiction in 12th? Or it seems like a contradiction to me (if a person served 2 terms, they would be ineligible). The only way I could see would be if it was just a 1 term president.

Yeah, nothing constitutionally. I was on the same wavelength of thinking of Obama though. But tbh, I wouldn’t even want him. She needs her own pick.

If I were him, I would not want the job. I remember how much he aged from his first term to his second.

I edited my post above with more info I found ^ But how would this reconcile with the contradiction in 12th? Or it seems like a contradiction to me (if a person served 2 terms, they would be ineligible). The only way I could see would be if it was just a 1 term president.

If I were him, I would not want the job. I remember how much he aged from his first term to his second.
The 22nd Amendment says you can't be elected President more than twice.

It says nothing about becoming President through succession

The 22nd Amendment says you can't be elected President more than twice.It says nothing about becoming President through succession

I understand that part. I think maybe I wasn't getting my thought out very well, b/c I was trying to be narrow in scope about the VP being elected along with the president. (how each elector casts 1 vote for president and vp).

CNN is reporting that Cooper has removed himself from consideration. He's noting age (67 yo) AND fear of leaving the state in the Lt. Governor's hands by leaving the state to campaign.

I definitely commend him on the decision, especially considering how crazy Robinson is.
I’m going to assume it was polling.

Maybe, but Robinson is a completely corrupt MAGA whack job.
Yeah. I remember the situation in Idaho during the pandemic when the governor had to quickly rush back to the state to undo everything his Lt. Governor did while he was out of state. And they were BOTH REPUBLICANS. Imagine what that loon Robinson could do in one day.

Some of the concerns are valid from a progressive standpoint.
Nobody will get everything to be in perfect alignment for any candidate.

That said, I have really grown to like Walz and he would be my favorite. But Harris practically has to have PA to be realistic about the Electoral College. At least I think she does.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom