/* */

General Election 2024 Biden vs Trump (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
    Not open for further replies.

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    As we head toward the summer and the National Party Conventions, it might be handy to have a thread focused on the upcoming matchup of current President Biden vs Former President Trump.
    As of April 28,2024 , CNN's poll shows Trump leading. Yet polls are not always accurate and they are constantly changing.
    Feel free to use this thread for all things relating to Biden vs Trump.

Both houses of Congress would have to approve per the 25th Amendment. Good luck with that happening with Johnson instantly becoming next in line.
    If it’s a simple majority though, I think there might be 3 normal Rs in the House who wouldn’t be butt crevasses about it. Hopefully.

Thats the standard tactic around here. “Just call him stupid.” Thats why this board is now just a half dozen liberals performing a daily circle jerk. Not exactly what was intended.
    There's some decent debate here. I'm a lifelong Republican, just #NeverTrump. What is your position on Trump? Do you like him as a candidate or just voting party lines? I'm genuinely curious.

Last edited:
    NO!!! Kennedy is probably as much of a sociopath as Trump. Another trust fund person who has gotten away with everything he has ever done, has no discernible morals, and spouts dangerous conspiracy theories. He is a horrible person who should never be in charge of anything.
    I hear you and that's my opinion of him as well, BUT... who would be Kamala's ideal running mate? I'd like to see Mayor Pete, but can that ticket draw enough votes from undecided voters or republicans that don't like Trump? Abrams/Whitmer? Can two women win? I'm not against it, but is America ready to support it? Would Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro be a good choice for swing states?

My only thought about Kennedy is that it's instant name recognition and he would take some Trump votes because of their kindred spirit. He's going to get a cabinet post if Trump wins - is it better to have him controlled by a Democrat president or is it better for him to be in Trump's pocket? It would be an ugly choice for sure, but does it give the best option to beat Trump if Biden steps down and Kamala is nominated?

I hear you and that's my opinion of him as well, BUT... who would be Kamala's ideal running mate? I'd like to see Mayor Pete, but can that ticket draw enough votes from undecided voters or republicans that don't like Trump? Abrams/Whitmer? Can two women win? I'm not against it, but is America ready to support it? Would Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro be a good choice for swing states?

My only thought about Kennedy is that it's instant name recognition and he would take some Trump votes because of their kindred spirit. He's going to get a cabinet post if Trump wins - is it better to have him controlled by a Democrat president or is it better for him to be in Trump's pocket? It would be an ugly choice for sure, but does it give the best option to beat Trump if Biden steps down and Kamala is nominated?
    He’s a lunatic and you want him a heartbeat away from being President while the President is in his 80s? Come on, think this through. Him being VP on the ticket would cause me to seriously consider not voting for Biden, he’s that bad.

I saw yesterday that both Newsom and Whitmer have said they wouldn’t accept the VP position. And Newsom is from the same state as Harris anyway so that wouldn’t work.

Shapiro may be the best bet, but he’s not well known.

Here’s a great thread about an Italian politician who was a lot like Trump, written by an Italian who lived through it. It may offer a little comfort - the parallels are striking. I will link the first few tweets. It’s worth the read, imo.

Laying the groundwork again (just in case things don't go their way)
    ===========================================

Donald Trump is bullish about his chances in November and polling ahead of Joe Biden, but the GOP is preparing an insurance policy that blames election fraud by Democrats and undocumented immigrants if they lose. Speakers at the Republican National Convention made warnings of such a plot a prominent theme, mirroring similar efforts in 2020 to overturn the election results and disenfranchise millions of voters based on unsupported claims of mass fraud.

“We cannot allow the many millions of illegal aliens they allowed to cross our borders, harm our citizens, or disrupt our elections. We will not allow it,” declared House Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., who filed a lawsuit to overturn the 2020 presidential election results that was quickly thrown out by the Supreme Court.

Other Republicans explicitly accused Democrats of purposely allowing undocumented immigrants into the country so that they can illegally vote, even though the Biden administration recently passed measures to curb border crossings.

“Democrats cynically decided they wanted votes from illegals more than they wanted to protect our children,” said Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas.

House Majority Leader Steve Scalise, R-La., also claimed that Democrats "want illegals to vote now that they opened the border." Both Cruz and Scalise participated in efforts to overturn the 2020 election.

It is illegal for non-citizens to vote in federal elections, and instances of them breaking the law are extremely rare, with measures already in place to catch violators. In 2016, an audit in North Carolina found that 41 legal immigrants who had not yet become citizens cast ballots, out of 4.8 million total voters, and did not make a difference in a single election in the state. In 2022, Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, a Republican, conducted an audit of the state's voter rolls that found that all 1,634 non-citizens who attempted to register were denied by election officials.

Johnson acknowledged earlier this year that the voting conspiracy theory has “not been something that is easily provable.”

That has not stopped Trump from goading his supporters about it with a tone that suggests certainty.

“We must use every appropriate tool to beat the Democrats. They are destroying our country,” he said in a video message to RNC delegates. “Keep your eyes open because these people want to cheat and they do cheat, and frankly it’s the only thing they do well.” Trump's VP pick, Sen. JD Vance, R-Ohio, has said that if he was in former Vice President Mike Pence's shoes, he would not have certified the 2020 presidential election, as required by the Constitution.

If there's any organized conspiracy to subvert federal elections, it's the Republicans who have been caught in the act. In 2020, Trump and his allies endorsed a "fake elector plot" to submit fraudulent certificates from seven states to falsely claim that Trump had won those states. Two of the plot's architects, Trump's former trade advisor Peter Navarro and longtime Trump whisperer Roger Stone, received a hero's welcome at this week's RNC..............

Donald Trump is bullish about his chances in November and polling ahead of Joe Biden, but the GOP is preparing an insurance policy that blames election fraud by Democrats and undocumented immigrants if they lose. Speakers at the Republican National Convention made warnings of such a plot a prominent theme, mirroring similar efforts in 2020 to overturn the election results and disenfranchise millions of voters based on unsupported claims of mass fraud.

“We cannot allow the many millions of illegal aliens they allowed to cross our borders, harm our citizens, or disrupt our elections. We will not allow it,” declared House Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., who filed a lawsuit to overturn the 2020 presidential election results that was quickly thrown out by the Supreme Court.

Other Republicans explicitly accused Democrats of purposely allowing undocumented immigrants into the country so that they can illegally vote, even though the Biden administration recently passed measures to curb border crossings.

“Democrats cynically decided they wanted votes from illegals more than they wanted to protect our children,” said Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas.

House Majority Leader Steve Scalise, R-La., also claimed that Democrats "want illegals to vote now that they opened the border." Both Cruz and Scalise participated in efforts to overturn the 2020 election.

It is illegal for non-citizens to vote in federal elections, and instances of them breaking the law are extremely rare, with measures already in place to catch violators. In 2016, an audit in North Carolina found that 41 legal immigrants who had not yet become citizens cast ballots, out of 4.8 million total voters, and did not make a difference in a single election in the state. In 2022, Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, a Republican, conducted an audit of the state's voter rolls that found that all 1,634 non-citizens who attempted to register were denied by election officials.

Johnson acknowledged earlier this year that the voting conspiracy theory has “not been something that is easily provable.”

That has not stopped Trump from goading his supporters about it with a tone that suggests certainty.

“We must use every appropriate tool to beat the Democrats. They are destroying our country,” he said in a video message to RNC delegates. “Keep your eyes open because these people want to cheat and they do cheat, and frankly it’s the only thing they do well.” Trump's VP pick, Sen. JD Vance, R-Ohio, has said that if he was in former Vice President Mike Pence's shoes, he would not have certified the 2020 presidential election, as required by the Constitution.

If there's any organized conspiracy to subvert federal elections, it's the Republicans who have been caught in the act. In 2020, Trump and his allies endorsed a "fake elector plot" to submit fraudulent certificates from seven states to falsely claim that Trump had won those states. Two of the plot's architects, Trump's former trade advisor Peter Navarro and longtime Trump whisperer Roger Stone, received a hero's welcome at this week's RNC..............

never ever ever

I honestly don't know what would be worse. 4 more years of Trump or RFK jr.

Like Corey Booker, I liked Mayor Pete, and I would have no problem voting for him. Why neither man got further than they did is strange to me, but I’m not part of the party so I don’t know what’s best for it.

"...fought hard to keep Trump off the ballot..."

People fought hard to keep Trump off the ballot, because on Jan 6th, 2021 Trump tried to overthrow Congress to try to stay in power after losing an election. Trying to keep Trump off the ballot was an act of trying to protect our democracy from anymore threats from Trump.

Trump and Republicans wouldn't be laying the ground work for an excuse in case he wins if he honestly thought he had the election in the bag. This is the stuff Trump and Republicans do when they think they'll be lucky to win and will most likely lose. Already creating excuses for if they lose speaks a lot louder than any polls about how voters are likely to vote.

never ever ever

I honestly don't know what would be worse. 4 more years of Trump or RFK jr.
    I don't want him for President, that's for sure, nor is it an endorsement on my part for him at VP - it's just a question of what secures a Trump loss. My dream ticket to replace Biden is Newsom getting the nomination with Michelle Obama as VP - but we know Michelle doesn't want to do it and Newsom reportedly isn't interested in VP with Kamala - would he be interested in President this election cycle? Regardless of his interest, it's going to be really difficult to not have Kamala get the nomination. Who best pairs up as her VP to get a victory? Who is going to pull swing state votes, undecided voters, and republicans who don't like Trump? After looking at some choices, Josh Shapiro, governor of Pennsylvania and Roy Cooper, governor of North Carolina stand out as those potentially able to help pull swing state votes, but neither really have name recognition. Nor do we know if they're even willing to run.

If Trump wins and puts RFKjr in a key cabinet position would that be better or worse than him as Kamala's VP?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom