First presidential debate (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

I thought he did that rally on Friday. If he did that rally after the debate, then something odd was up.

It completely dispels the dementia BS, because people with dementia progressively fade as the day goes on, known as sundowning, and they don't ever get a second wind late in the evening like that. And no, there aren't any drugs that can help someone with dementia do that.

Pretty sure that it was on Friday, early in the day.

So it doesn't dispel the dementia BS, it actually supports that idea.

He did it after the debate how could he else talk about having a bad night ? So no it does not support your claim of demetia.

I honestly think he got completely thrown of by the constant lying by Trump which was never reputiated by the moderators who imho did a truely lousy job

He did it after the debate how could he else talk about having a bad night ? So no it does not support your claim of demetia.

I honestly think he got completely thrown of by the constant lying by Trump which was never reputiated by the moderators who imho did a truely lousy job

It was the next day, early in the day.

What I meant was I get why we see this differently, because I know we have different views on age and aging.

I was referring to the lengthy and in depth discussion about our views on age and aging we had a while back.
    Maybe you're thinking of someone else because I don't recall that discussion.

I don't put much stock in polls or anything, but interesting to see a poll on Smerconish.com asking whether the Demoratic National Convention nomination be a contested one and 70% said yes. I don't think that's going to happen, but it's interesting to see that many wanting to see it happen.

No, Gavin Newsom would not win handily at this stage. He probably would have if he had been campaigning all this time, but he can't win now. You obviously have no idea how campaigns are run and how campaign financing rules work.

Newsom doesn't have a dime to spend to campaign with. He can't use money from his campaign for governor and he can't touch the money that Biden and Harris have collected. No one can win a presidential race without that money.

The people you get your ideas and opinions from want Biden replaced, because they know that replacing Biden right now would guarantee Trump wins. If they knew that Biden staying in the race guaranteed Trump would win, they would be telling you to believe that Biden should stay in the race and people are being unfair to him.
    Gavin Newsome is one of the more well known Democrats and the DNC can find his campaign, plus if he put Harris on the ticket, I think he could use the money sent to the Biden campaign. Besides, the Biden voters fall into the Democratic voters and the anti-Trump voters.

Ok, the missing part is here.

This will work, Biden did a rope-a-dope to the old fat Criminal. Far from losing this debate he won the election. He's taken away the one issue that he couldn't deal with any other way. It was like he was picking the legs off of an insect. O've enjoyed watching Biden work over the years.

Once the furor dies down, one week I would guess, this """too old""" to be President shirt, when both candidates are about the same age has always been for the lizards. The Criminal's gang are the lizards.

I had been wondering about Biden's facial expression during that debate. Now I know what that was about, he was throwing the old Criminal right where he wanted him, pitching him hard into the ropes. And now he whalloped the Criminal when he bounced back from the ropes.

Now that I've seen another performance by Biden which was a few hours later, and one which he had to travel for, it's apparent that Biden used makeup so that he looked really old and sick. he threw this debate on purpose. That's the part which makes this work.

I'm happy now. Biden's the old pro and now he's shown me he still has it !!! Expect the unexpected from Biden.
    if Biden’s team threw the debate, it is a horrible tactic, because few undecided voters will give him credit for energy afterwards in a friendly setting at a rally with little pressure to think on his feet. This debate was more important to Biden than any debate in history of the US. His mental acuity and ability to last until he’s 86 has been
    cast into huge doubt. There is no way he threw this debate on purpose. That is the craziest spin I’ve heard. Biden will be in damage control for the rest of the campaign. I would much rather be going on the offensive byintroducing a new candidate than trying to make the case that he is fit for office. Biden is playing defense. His policies will sell anyone fit for the office. Anyone else can get on offense except Biden.

I thought he did that rally on Friday. If he did that rally after the debate, then something odd was up.

It completely dispels the dementia BS, because people with dementia progressively fade as the day goes on, known as sundowning, and they don't ever get a second wind late in the evening like that. And no, there aren't any drugs that can help someone with dementia do that.
    I'm not sure if it was Thursday or Friday.

Either way something odd was up. It takes "odd" to counter that Criminal's gaslighting.

You are one of the "real losers" of that debate as that author spelled that out. Both you and that Ann Marie Cox who wrote that opinion.

What would you think if all of a sudden there was a Presiden Harris, not a President Biden, and you had to had to deal with that?

I don't put much stock in polls or anything, but interesting to see a poll on Smerconish.com asking whether the Demoratic National Convention nomination be a contested one and 70% said yes. I don't think that's going to happen, but it's interesting to see that many wanting to see it happen.
    Question is how many of those who responded are MAGAs? Trump has been trying to get rid of Biden for a looooooong time

I’ve heard some say that Trump is showing signs of dementia, but I haven’t heard anyone say Biden has dementia. Most are saying Biden has declined noticeably, and it was very apparent in the debate. The big question isn’t whether he’ll lose his mind before he turns 86, but rather can he do the demanding job and will he even survive it.

Yeah, every time the "champion college debater" or "champion college debate coach" credential is used as some authority of expertise on who won or loss a debate it cracks me up.

I was a champion college debater, it's not a rare or significant credential at all. I quoted that article, because he makes the point which too many people seem oblivious to. Being a smooth talking liar is not a positive or good thing in any way, especially for a president. If Trump sounded and looked fit to be president to someone, then that someone has serious messed up values, priorities, and/or judgment.

You know who else was a smooth talking charmer? Ted Bundy, that's who. Who thinks he would have been a good president? No one, that's who. The only major difference between Trump and Bundy, is that Trump hasn't killed anyone...yet...as far as we know.
    I think 90% of the people on this forum think Trump would be terrible for the country. They know he is a smooth talking liar. That’s irrelevant, because nearly 50% of the country doesn’t care that he is a crook and a liar. He can’t be beaten just by pointing out he’s a liar and a crook. Biden’s policies can beat him if they are articulated better. Biden is not going to get better at articulating his policies. Surrogates are an inadequate substitute. The person at the top of the ticket has to be able to articulate it. That person also needs to keep hammering Trump to win over the few undecideds left, but Biden is not convincing them.

If he didn’t know that Trump was going to spew a stream of lies, then he was very naive and his preparation was malpractice. He had time in many cases to refute Trump. He should’ve been ready on the immigration, economy, crime, abortion, corruption and capability to do the job topics. He should’ve known what lies Trump would tell, because most have been told in his rallies. The rest are small potatoes to the public.

If he didn’t know that Trump was going to spew a stream of lies, then he was very naive and his preparation was malpractice. He had time in many cases to refute Trump. He should’ve been ready on the immigration, economy, crime, abortion, corruption and capability to do the job topics. He should’ve known what lies Trump would tell, because most have been told in his rallies. The rest are small potatoes to the public.
    Yeah if he got so thrown off by the lies from Trump that we all knew were coming... that's telling in and of itself imo.

Yeah if he got so thrown off by the lies from Trump that we all knew were coming... that's telling in and of itself imo.
    yeah, I would have made that point # 1. Call out the moderators for crissakes

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom