First presidential debate (7 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
Since we usually have a separate thread for these
=================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

If Trump had only told one or two lies whenever it was his turn, I think Biden would have done a lot better. But by telling almost only lies, then Biden had trouble focusing on which to answer first. It is a debating technic that is called Gish gallop and even for a top notch debater, it is really hard to counter

"Strategy. During a Gish gallop, a debater confronts an opponent with a rapid series of specious arguments, half-truths, misrepresentations, and outright lies in a short space of time, which makes it impossible for the opponent to refute all of them within the format of a formal debate."

The moderators are at fault for allowing Trump to do this. This technique is very much frowned upon in debating and will disqualify the participant in some formats

If Trump had only told one or two lies whenever it was his turn, I think Biden would have done a lot better. But by telling almost only lies, then Biden had trouble focusing on which to answer first. It is a debating technic that is called Gish gallop and even for a top notch debater, it is really hard to counter

"Strategy. During a Gish gallop, a debater confronts an opponent with a rapid series of specious arguments, half-truths, misrepresentations, and outright lies in a short space of time, which makes it impossible for the opponent to refute all of them within the format of a formal debate."

The moderators are at fault for allowing Trump to do this. This technique is very much frowned upon in debating and will disqualify the participant in some formats
That's fair. I'm not particularly apt to believe that that fully explain Biden's poor performance.. but that's fair.

Question is how many of those who responded are MAGAs? Trump has been trying to get rid of Biden for a looooooong time
How many MAGAs would visit CNN's website? I can't imagine many do. They're FNC and Orly Taitz type viewers and readers. I mean, my MAGA neighbor and longtime friend wouldn't get caught dead reading/watching CNN.

Last edited:
I can only speak from personal experience. In the stages of Alzheimers my best friend from childhood's mother did not recognize me. It tore my hear in half
There are stages, and early onset dementia is much different than late stages. It's often a gradual diminishing of an individual's mind.

My condolences. That and similar debilitating diseases are horrible.

How many MAGAs would visit CNN's website. I can't image many do. They're FNC and Orly Taitz type viewers and readers. I mean, my MAGA neighbor and longtime friend wouldn't get caught dead reading/watching CNN.

Smerconish describes himself as a lifelong Republican and he has a podcast and newsletter. The poll is up on his own website. Seems likely to me a large part of his audience and respondents aren’t people likely to vote for Biden.

yeah, I would have made that point # 1. Call out the moderators for crissakes
I don't think the moderators were allowed to push back on the lies. That was likely a stipulation for hosting the debate. That said, there was nothing preventing Biden from addressing the lies. That's his job anyway.

I wasn't the one who brought up sundowning, the person i was responding to brought it up.

I didn’t go back to sort through that part of the discussion but Biden made a public stop at a Waffle House after the debate. Obviously that’s a low effort and pressure setting, but that would have been an easy stop to avoid if his people felt like they needed to protect him. Any public appearance is a risk if they are trying to hide something about the state of his health.

It depends on the rules of the debate. It's not a moderators job to address lies if that's part of the agreement to have the debate.

And yes, we deal with plenty of gish gallops here. Biden should have expected it and been ready to address them. His advisors should have made sure he understood that Trump was going to do this. It's been his M.O. for years.

I get that it's hard to deal with, but Biden, who's had decades of experience debating in Congress has to address those lies. Instead, he got into a peeing match with Trump over golf of all things.

Smerconish describes himself as a lifelong Republican and he has a podcast and newsletter. The poll is up on his own website. Seems likely to me a large part of his audience and respondents aren’t people likely to vote for Biden.
He's a full on RINO to MAGAs. They despise him. I'm sure he gets a share of independents and moderate conservatives, but few Trumpers.

Next time, Biden should just yell and spew lies if the media and public aren’t going to care more about substance and accuracy. I’m serious. And wear some bronzer to hide his age, too.
The thing is, that would be completely out of character for Biden. He wouldn't be helping himself by being Trump-like. One Trump is enough.

He's a full on RINO to MAGAs. They despise him. I'm sure he gets a share of independents and moderate conservatives, but few Trumpers.

I know you were responding to a comment about MAGA, I’m just saying I don’t think many of the people likely to go to his site, read his newsletter, listen to his podcast, and take his polls, are likely Biden voters.

I know you were responding to a comment about MAGA, I’m just saying I don’t think many of the people likely to go to his site, read his newsletter, listen to his podcast, and take his polls, are likely Biden voters.
Maybe, but he's been a fixture on CNN for a lot of years. He's got plenty of viewers. Certainly at least half are Democrats. And probably closer to 2/3rds.

The thing is, that would be completely out of character for Biden. He wouldn't be helping himself by being Trump-like. One Trump is enough.

I know. More so it’s a commentary on how vapid our society is. We are essentially rewarding a candidate for being an orange-faced, dishonest, blowhard because that’s just who he is. The expectations are higher for his opponents. Anybody in the media calling for Biden to step down should at least be doing the same of Trump. The only reason Trump is a perceived winner in that debate is because too many people have decided dishonesty and vitriol are okay. Trump couldn’t win a fact-based, rational debate against anybody, so is he really a better candidate?

The debate was a crap-show for both candidates and CNN. Yet all criticism of Trump is an aside to the piling on of Biden.

Maybe, but he's been a fixture on CNN for a lot of years. He's got plenty of viewers. Certainly at least half are Democrats. And probably closer to 2/3rds.

Are they watching or paying attention to Smerconish? I just don’t see the average Democrat investing part of their media time into somebody who is going to be ideologically opposed to a lot of what they support. Most people aren’t spending a lot of time regularly listening to pundits on the other side.

Online polls tend to be one of the least reliable metrics anyway, since little information is known about respondents or their motives. Pretty easy to troll and manipulate results.

yeah, I would have made that point # 1. Call out the moderators for crissakes
I think it was agreed in advance that the moderators were not going to fact check. It wasn’t the moderators’ job to fact check. Biden had to do it.

Trump did what he has done at every debate. He always spews lies many times each time he opens his mouth. Perhaps the rules should be set to allow extra time to respond to every lie told. Perhaps have the moderators count the lies and give time to respond to each. Trump can do the same.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom