First presidential debate (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

Biden is owning what happened in his speech today.

this just needs to be on a loop - someone needs to hack every major TV station and play this clip for 30 min

and as an aside, that doesnt look like a man ready to give up his seat. So we gonna roll into Nov w/ him leading the ticket. A lot can happen between now and then, so lets just hope that whatever comes down the pike, he handles with the dignity and respect he as always had.

That's a campaign stop with little being actually said. The debate he has to memorize, and recite talking points. He would have been better sounding more like this, and talking about whatever. That's what Trump did. Trump obviously memorized something about the wall. He kept talking about it like brown people where having a D-day invasion along the Rio Grande.

He's got no choice but to own it, and if he had opened up the debate last night with that kind of energy it would have reshaped everything that followed.

Yeah, that little short clip is like night and day from last night, much more energy. Maybe they need to have his debates in the morning to noon time slot, lol.

In retrospect, I wonder if not having a crowd effected Biden more than Trump. Maybe Biden needs that type of energy to bump up his own energy or maybe it was too much like all his debate prep. IDK, but something was seriously off last night.

The move might be to thrust Kamala Harris forward. That or just a general lowering of expectations at this point in time.

I think that her becoming President has been a part of their agreement going back to the 2020 election.

That would be fine with me in that she was my first pick anyway in 2020.

However I don't think he will quit, will retire, but he might, and if he does it will have been planned in advance. Throwing this debate would be a part of that plan.

The last debate Harris did was thrown so that she could attack Biden, which was something necessary for her to do to help him overcome on old bussing issue from far in his past.

When I saw her do that i knew they were working together. That she would be his VP pick 4 months before she did become his VP pick.

So a general question for everyone to answer. There are actually two choices nested with two more choices here to be considered.

It boils down one of two ways, it being both Biden and Harris together if Biden stays, vs. the Criminal. The other way is if it is time for Harris to move forward then it will be Harris vs. the Criminal.

So the question is how are you all about Kamala Harris?

She's the front of the line behind Biden, and there is no one behind her at this time who has the resources to go forward except for her. It would be about the same thing as if he were to suddenly die. She is the VP after all. That's why she is there.
    Nothing is stopping me from voting for the Democrat, this year. I'd be fine with Harris, but she wouldn't necessarily be my first choice, mainly because I don't think that she would inspire enough people to vote for her. I could see her turning off people. I really think Newsom/Michelle Obama would be unstoppable in this election.

Who do you think would be the running mate for Kamala?

That's a campaign stop with little being actually said. The debate he has to memorize, and recite talking points. He would have been better sounding more like this, and talking about whatever. That's what Trump did. Trump obviously memorized something about the wall. He kept talking about it like brown people where having a D-day invasion along the Rio Grande.

Agreed and I understand the differences in settings. I shared the clip with little commentary because it’s a simple campaign moment that provides a check-in on Biden today, and how he’s projecting himself in the wake of the debate.

I said in another post, I think it’s going to be a tough road to November. There will be ups and downs. The ups are going to include these managed campaign stops and, what I expect will be mounting attacks on Trump from all sectors of society that will shape and hone Democratic messaging post-convention.

it was a small sample size, but I wonder about a few things:

A. what % of total voters are undecided at this point?
    B. if a large % of them stayed home and not vote, would it help or harm trump or biden more?
    C. would a large % of them voting 3rd party help or harm trump or biden more?
    Right now the "enthusiasm gap" is in favor of Trump, whose cult members are frothing at the bit to pull the lever for him, so I think any downturn in turnout or spike in third party voting probably hurts Biden more.

and as an aside, that doesnt look like a man ready to give up his seat. So we gonna roll into Nov w/ him leading the ticket. A lot can happen between now and then, so lets just hope that whatever comes down the pike, he handles with the dignity and respect he as always had.

That is my takeaway from it also.

The messaging is making it clear that, at least for now, the campaign is forging ahead with party backing.

IMG_8767.jpeg
    He's not wrong, but, this is hardly new.

The move might be to thrust Kamala Harris forward. That or just a general lowering of expectations at this point in time.

I think that her becoming President has been a part of their agreement going back to the 2020 election.

That would be fine with me in that she was my first pick anyway in 2020.

However I don't think he will quit, will retire, but he might, and if he does it will have been planned in advance. Throwing this debate would be a part of that plan.

The last debate Harris did was thrown so that she could attack Biden, which was something necessary for her to do to help him overcome on old bussing issue from far in his past.

When I saw her do that i knew they were working together. That she would be his VP pick 4 months before she did become his VP pick.

So a general question for everyone to answer. There are actually two choices nested with two more choices here to be considered.

It boils down one of two ways, it being both Biden and Harris together if Biden stays, vs. the Criminal. The other way is if it is time for Harris to move forward then it will be Harris vs. the Criminal.

So the question is how are you all about Kamala Harris?

She's the front of the line behind Biden, and there is no one behind her at this time who has the resources to go forward except for her. It would be about the same thing as if he were to suddenly die. She is the VP after all. That's why she is there.
    Newsom probably could get there. He's got resources and he'd almost certainly get broad support from the party. I'd be far more inclined to be somewhat hopeful with Newsom. I would be fine with Harris, except I think she'll have a hard time winning.

I don't know who on the DNC thought this was a good idea.
    It doesn't matter what Trump says, or how he looks, or what he did or didn't. Republicans are going to vote for him no matter what.

On the other hand, the Holier Than Thou Democrats, who demand purity (Gaza, immigration, LGBTQ+, etc) will find reasons to be offended and waste their vote on the Green Party or not vote at all, not understanding what this election is about, or the ramifications of a 2nd Trump presidency.

I believe the last hope is women, voting to regain abortion rights.
    I agree that the DNC messed up. The next debate needs to include fact checking. Every time that either candidate says something false, it needs to be corrected and lead the next question.

Regarding abortion rights, the only hope to regain abortion rights is to change the supreme court. Thomas is 76, and he probably wants to retire, since he is now under the microscope for taking gifts, but he is holding out to assure he gets replaced by another right winger. Alito is 74, and he may also want to retire due to the controversy his wife keeps stirring up. We need the presidency to nominate justices that will support abortion rights, irrespective of the senate, although a Republican senate is a wildcard that may never confirm the nominee.

Newsom probably could get there. He's got resources and he'd almost certainly get broad support from the party. I'd be far more inclined to be somewhat hopeful with Newsom. I would be fine with Harris, except I think she'll have a hard time winning.
    I think almost everyone that is voting for Biden would still vote for Harris, and I think Harris would pick up a few people that are reticent to vote for Biden, but attempting to break the glass ceiling is risky. I would love to see a Newsome/Whitmer ticket. Whitmer is only 52, so she would be ideally suited to break the glass ceiling in 8 years. The Guardian posted 6 options.

Ok, the missing part is here.

This will work, Biden did a rope-a-dope to the old fat Criminal. Far from losing this debate he won the election. He's taken away the one issue that he couldn't deal with any other way. It was like he was picking the legs off of an insect. O've enjoyed watching Biden work over the years.

Once the furor dies down, one week I would guess, this """too old""" to be President shirt, when both candidates are about the same age has always been for the lizards. The Criminal's gang are the lizards.

I had been wondering about Biden's facial expression during that debate. Now I know what that was about, he was throwing the old Criminal right where he wanted him, pitching him hard into the ropes. And now he whalloped the Criminal when he bounced back from the ropes.

Now that I've seen another performance by Biden which was a few hours later, and one which he had to travel for, it's apparent that Biden used makeup so that he looked really old and sick. he threw this debate on purpose. That's the part which makes this work.

I'm happy now. Biden's the old pro and now he's shown me he still has it !!! Expect the unexpected from Biden.

Biden rope-a-doped the old bastage in the ring. This is beautiful, politics at it's finest. Wait for it, it will take a few days for it to become apparent just how badly he beat him.

I'm already seeing the sign that after being upset and very worried how many good people are snapping back from the shock.

Snapping back ready to support him and blow off all that """TOO OLD""" shirt.

:ROFLMAO:

Regarding abortion rights, the only hope to regain abortion rights is to change the supreme court. Thomas is 76, and he probably wants to retire, since he is now under the microscope for taking gifts, but he is holding out to assure he gets replaced by another right winger. Alito is 74, and he may also want to retire due to the controversy his wife keeps stirring up. We need the presidency to nominate justices that will support abortion rights, irrespective of the senate, although a Republican senate is a wildcard that may never confirm the nominee.
    Correct, and it starts with voting for Biden.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom