First presidential debate (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

The truth of my family and friends are not necessary the same truth of the Biden family. I want to make it clear that I understand that.

In my family and with my friends, there's been several people who have been afflicted with either Alzheimer's frontotemporal, Lewy Body dementia or vascular dementia. Not a single spouse or family member of those afflicted were ever in denial of what the afflicted person could and could not handle at each stage of the disease, in fact it was the opposite. Some family members jumped the gun on being overly protective and restrictive.

If the Biden family is like my family and friends, then I take it as a positive sign that Joe's family thinks he can handle the campaign and being president for four more years.

Other people here have loved ones afflicted with the various diseases of dementia. In your experiences, was anyone in the family exhibit denial about what the afflicted loved one could and could not handle?

If the Biden family is like my family and friends, then I take it as a positive sign that Joe's family thinks he can handle the campaign and being president for four more years.

If you read the piece, they are blaming his advisers. It comes off like they are delusional.

If you read the piece, they are blaming his advisers. It comes off like they are delusional.
    The thing is.. it's not the first time we've seen Biden look similar to that, it's just not.

If it had been then OK, maybe it could be on the advisors.

But that's just hard to buy when, with cause, this was exactly the main concern people had about Biden heading in to it.

You come of to me as being tunnel blinded by your biases. I think you're seeing what your preconceived beliefs have you expecting to see.

I acknowledged that my personals experience could not be assumed to be true for anyone else. I asked for input from others who have experienced the tragedy of loved ones afflicted with dementia. I did that because I don't just rely on my perspectives, my experiences, or my beliefs.

If you have experienced the tragedy of having a loved one with dementia, did people in your have delusions or denials about what your loved could and couldn't handle?

Lol....I know. It's like someone asking you: "Do you want to die by lethal injection or the electric chair". Well...people should have chosen my candidate Haley, but not enough people are as wise as I am....lol.
    Well, if your party had chosen Haley, and even though I have very little respect for her, I'd be fine with her and might have even voted for her given Biden's debate performance. But your party didn't, and here we are.

I said before I'd rather one of my dogs be President than vote for Trump. My dogs are as selfish as him, but not malignantly so and are mostly sweethearts. Sure, they aren't capable of debating because they can't talk, but if they could they could probably do better than "OMG, the immigrants!!"

It comes down to which candidate is less dangerous for the country. I think it's Biden by far, but if you want to talk yourself (because you're not convincing any of us) into Trump, I can respect that as long as you take responsibility for what happens after he gets elected.

The thing is.. it's not the first time we've seen Biden look similar to that, it's just not.

If it had been then OK, maybe it could be on the advisors.

But that's just hard to buy when, with cause, this was exactly the main concern people had about Biden heading in to it.
    Over time, we'll get the answers to the questions we understandably have.

Imagine criticizing someone for not wanting to vote for someone for President who isn't mentally competent.
    That's the narrative you guys run with against Biden, but Trump isn't mentally competent himself. The only reason we're in this place is because too many of you people watched "The Apprentice" and mistook it for reality.

dadsdream used to do that all the damn time too
    Yeah. I sometimes wonder if Steve is dadsdream. Today he said "get a scoop" the journalistic sense of scoop. Dadsdream claimed to be an ex-journalist and frequently reminded us of that. Unless, I'm thinking of someone else.

I know one of the OG's used to claim they were a retired journalist.

That's the narrative you guys run with against Biden, but Trump isn't mentally competent himself. The only reason we're in this place is because too many of you people watched "The Apprentice" and mistook it for reality.
    Spoken like someone who has been on a "reality" TV set during production. Everything that happens on a reality TV show is predetermined and forced to happen. Reality TV shows have writing staffs.

There's no people on the planet more controlling than TV executives.

I get the sentiment of not wanting to end career on that note, but that's a poor reason tbh. That's no different than an athlete staying in a sport too long chasing something he may never achieve again.

Instead of saying they're staying because they don't want to leave on that note, say they're confident Joe will prove he's fit enough to serve a second term as President.

Spoken like someone who has been on a "reality" TV set during production. Everything that happens on a reality TV show is predetermined and forced to happen. Reality TV shows have writing staffs.

There's no people on the planet more controlling than TV executives.
    I've never been on a "reality" TV set, but I have an idea of media influence and believe pretty strongly that but for "The Apprentice," Trump would likelier be on infomercials selling crappy vodka or some other "Trump" branded product instead of trying to destroy the country in service of his own ego.

You come of to me as being tunnel blinded by your biases. I think you're seeing what your preconceived beliefs have you expecting to see.

I acknowledged that my personals experience could not be assumed to be true for anyone else. I asked for input from others who have experienced the tragedy of loved ones afflicted with dementia. I did that because I don't just rely on my perspectives, my experiences, or my beliefs.

If you have experienced the tragedy of having a loved one with dementia, did people in your have delusions or denials about what your loved could and couldn't handle?

I don't really have any biases in this other then Joe looked incoherent, and lost on that stage. I think he is 81, and should have retired after his first term like he originally planned.

Dementia is so different from this. A person with dementia can't even have a debate like that unless it's in the very very early stages. It's a slow degradation, so you aren't really delusional about their capabilities. It's more like you hit bad milestones along the way.

Good ole @SamAndreas was talking about how Biden threw the debate on purpose. It wouldn't shock me to find out he did, because not much is shocking since 2016.

I don't think Biden threw it on purpose, but it might be a boon for him. Grassroots usually means lots of small donations from lots of voters. Maybe all this talk about sending grandpa to the nursing home has got people rallying to his defense to say don't you dare.

What I do know is that people who donate vote. If they're using grassroots in the traditional sense, that's a lot of voting support being shown for Biden after his "too terrible to recover from" debate on Thursday.
    It's an assertion on my part. It might be true,it might be not.

I did get the 2020 election stright. Four or five months before Biden picked Kamala Harris to be VP, I knew he was going to pick her because I figured out they were working together the moment that Kamala attacked Biden in that early debate over his Bussing Problem from far in the past.

Biden needed that to come up and be dealt with if he wanted Black voter support. This now is not unlike that from 2020.

She dealt with that issue real good. It gave him the standing he needed when he most needed it.

That's pretty close. I will tweak it to make it accurate. I want Biden to lose. I have always wanted Biden to lose. I thought I wouldn't have to participate but now if Biden is on the ballot I might have to. Just make sure Biden is not on the ballot...ok? I am done here for today. Tomorrow I am driving 7 plus hours for family tourism. Bye for now.
    Oh, deer caught in the beam of the headlights.

I want Biden to win. I want that forking creepy Criminal to lose.

I don't know what I'm going to do if that Criminal doesn't lose. I never properly considered the ramifications if he doesn't lose.

I guess I will have to regard him as being the NOT commander in chief. The USA will have to do without a commander in chief for a while. I will not answer the call if he is in charge. If our nation needs me I won't be there to serve. I'll see to it that my son doesn't serve for that butt crevasse either.

I guess that might foul up the good old USA. So be it. Don't elect that butt crevasse. I won't abide with it if you and others do.

Fork it!!!

Imagine criticizing someone for not wanting to vote for someone for President who isn't mentally competent.
    I can imagine that. In my opinion You're being the first class A-Hole here.

It's your candidate who isn't mentally competent. Or is honest.

Joe is honest.

I had a relative who won an election after he had been killed in a plane crash. You may have heard of him, his name was Mel Carnahan. His corpse beat John Ashcroft.

I vaguely remember the story of Ashcroft losing. Two years later Paul Wellstone, progressive senator from Minnesota, and his wife and daughters died in a plane crash. Politicians doing good for the common person have a way of dying either by murder or accident. It never seems to happen to the Donald J Trump's of the world. Not that I would want that to happen, it just seems like a statistically anomaly is all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom