First presidential debate (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

There is a 0% chance that if Biden is on the ticket, the Dems win.

Trump has significantly outperformed the polls in every general election that he has been on the ballot. Trump is currently polling about +10 from where he was polling this time in 2020.

Joe needed to make up ground with the debate. Even if he had just had a draw, we'd be in serious trouble. Instead, he had the worst presidential debate in history. It was miles worse than Nixon against JFK.

The only undecided voters in this election are those who haven't decided whether or not to vote. They aren't going to be motivated by telling them that Trump is an existential threat. If they don't already believe that by now, they aren't going to believe it. We aren't going to get those people off the couch by running a grandpa who is clearly loosing his ability to be fully functional.

There isn't much chance that the dems will be able to pull off switching the ticket without screwing things up, but not much chance is better than no chance.

So yes, people who are trying to argue that Biden isn't going senile, and think that he can beat Trump, are in a cult, and they are going to ensure a MAGA takeover of all three branches of government and a Trump dictatorship.

I respectfully disagree. I know you don't like Biden very much due to the war in Palestine, but Biden has something that none of the other candidates have. Credibility and a record of success when it comes to his actual track record with regards to jobs, inflation etc.. He also have a long lifetime of experience with foreign politics and a lot of goodwill among most foreign leaders. You just don't "plug" some new person into that spot. Biden also have a solid cabinet and has managed to gather a team of very good people.

If you replace Biden with someone else there may be infighting in the democratic party and the losers supporters may stay home rather than vote. Most obvious candidates would also be scrutinized at at whole new level and you never know what will surface. Replacing Biden now is what the MAGAs want and will IMHO ensure a Trump victory

I respectfully disagree. I know you don't like Biden very much due to the war in Palestine, but Biden has something that none of the other candidates have. Credibility and a record of success when it comes to his actual track record with regards to jobs, inflation etc.. He also have a long lifetime of experience with foreign politics and a lot of goodwill among most foreign leaders. You just don't "plug" some new person into that spot. Biden also have a solid cabinet and has managed to gather a team of very good people.

If you replace Biden with someone else there may be infighting in the democratic party and the losers supporters may stay home rather than vote. Most obvious candidates would also be scrutinized at at whole new level and you never know what will surface. Replacing Biden now is what the MAGAs want and will IMHO ensure a Trump victory

There is no chance Biden wins short of something like video of Trump raping a child coming out. In that case it wouldn’t matter who the nominee was.

MAGA is about to have all three branches of government.

I’m not calling all of the democrats cultists.

Whew.

The Republican Party had a pretty intense debate going on in 2016 back when only some of them weren’t in a cult.

People don’t call MAGA a cult simply because they show support for a candidate. They call it a cult because no amount of wrongdoing or evidence dissuades them from supporting that candidate.

I think pretty much everybody was upset by the debate performance and have concerns about the situation this puts the party in. There is disagreement about whether Biden can or should continue. If you think this is cultish behavior, then I’m not sure you know what a cult is.

Biden's mental condition has removed the incumbency advantage. We see it in polling. 75% people don't think he should run, etc.

I think the correct phrasing would be Biden has an extremely slim chance of winning. I think Nate Silver still has Biden at like a 1/4.

The one huge advantage of someone else running is Trumps age, and mental capacity goes back into the frying pan. He sounds as bad as Biden in that Florida speech.

Are you voting for Biden if he’s the nominee?

I’ve already said there is no way I’m voting for Biden. There isn’t a single election that matters where I live that isn’t a R landslide, so my vote isn’t important.

I do want Biden to win if he’s the Trump alternative, it’s just not going to happen.

Whew.

People don’t call MAGA a cult simply because they show support for a candidate. They call it a cult because no amount of wrongdoing or evidence dissuades them from supporting that candidate.

I think pretty much everybody was upset by the debate performance and have concerns about the situation this puts the party in. There is disagreement about whether Biden can or should continue. If you think this is cultish behavior, then I’m not sure you know what a cult is.

People repeating the White House’s excuses as if they believe them are in a cult.

George Clooney has weighed in.

George is extremely well connected. This is pretty damning statement.

This isn’t only my opinion; this is the opinion of every senator and Congress member and governor who I’ve spoken with in private. Every single one, irrespective of what he or she is saying publicly.

This is a great case for Biden running, but he is losing badly, and I don't think he is capable of turning it around. If indeed people will wake up to Trump, it wouldn't matter who the democrat is. If people care more about infirmity, then only a new candidate has a chance, because Trump is not viewed as infirm, no matter how much we say he should be. Also, there are others with credibility and records. Also, I think many are staying home for Biden. I think many more of those people will come out to vote than people that will stay home due to switching. It is all speculation, however there is more evidence that something drastic is needed to win, than that this ticket will be able to make up ground after being behind for months. Changing may still lead to a loss, but it seems crazy to stay on the current course.

The one huge advantage of someone else running is Trumps age, and mental capacity goes back into the frying pan. He sounds as bad as Biden in that Florida speech.
    If Trump sounds just as bad as Biden why isn't Trump being raked over the coals for it and bleeding confidence and support?

I think I'm going to bow out this thread before I say something I regret. I'm going to the Landry-bashing thread.:peace:

Adios, I took a day off as well. I started calling the board blue maga, and realized I needed to touch grass.

That is easy to say looking at in the abstract. Once there is an actual candidate, all of their positives and negatives will come into sharp focus. Age is the concern now, because we have two old candidates. Removing Biden doesn’t guarantee that age continues to be the biggest concern for voters and just shifts to Trump.

Can Harris win swing states? Can Democrats bypass Harris and win the election?

George is extremely well connected. This is pretty damning statement.

Clooney also has first hand experience. Apparently Biden was so bad at that fundraiser that they decided he needed to spend a week at Camp David resting.

If Trump sounds just as bad as Biden why isn't Trump being raked over the coals for it and bleeding confidence and support?

MAGA doesn't care what the NYT says. SFL doesn't actually care about the opinions of: Ryan Grim, Alex Thompson, or Ezra Klein.

MAGA isn't swapping out Trump. They already lost with him once, and are happy to do it again.

Also, the media is rightfully pissed off at the Biden campaign. They feel lied too.

That is easy to say looking at in the abstract. Once there is an actual candidate, all of their positives and negatives will come into sharp focus. Age is the concern now, because we have two old candidates. Removing Biden doesn’t guarantee that age continues to be the biggest concern for voters and just shifts to Trump.

Can Harris win swing states? Can Democrats bypass Harris and win the election?

I think a great analogy would be drawing 4 cards in 5 card draw when all we have Jack high.

Also, you don't seem to take in account something simple. Things can get a lot worse under Biden.

CNN showed polling from this point in the race Trump actual election results were 5 points higher. If that happens today, Democrats are blown out of everything.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom