Everything George Santos (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    I think we need a new thread just about this guy. It seems like every day brings new awfulness.

(CNN) — A 23-count superseding indictment has been filed against Republican Rep. George Santos of New York.

The indictment out of the Eastern District of New York includes one count of conspiracy to commit fraud against the United States, two counts of aggravated identify theft and several other charges……

This is so stupid - this is about the easiest crime to prove. Credit card receipts showing charges from Santos. Bank records showing transfers from the receipts to Santos's personal account. Testimony from the card-holder that it wasn't authorized. Fraud. Larceny. Wire crimes. Etc.

In one case, Santos allegedly repeatedly charged a donor’s credit card with at least $44,800 in charges.

He then transferred the vast majority of one of those charges — an amount of nearly $12,000 — to his own bank account, according to the indictment.

A lawyer for Santos declined to comment on Tuesday. Santos, who is running for reelection, has said he doesn’t plan to resign from the House and intends to continue his campaign. “I’m going to fight the witch hunt,” he told reporters following his arraignment. “I’m going to take care of clearing my name.”

He still holds his Congressional benefits even if he's in jail right?

He's a freshman congressman so he doesn't have any sort of long-term benefits (I think you have to be elected to three House terms before you get the pension). His term expires on January 3, 2025 and he certainly won't be re-elected.

He will face enormous pressure to resign, particularly as the press to sign a plea bargain increases. But as far as I know, there is nothing that automatically expels him from Congress for being charged or convicted or even incarcerated. So I guess he would still get his pay and his health insurance. I think USSS can stand-down in favor of BOP with respect to a first-term congressman.

He's a freshman congressman so he doesn't have any sort of long-term benefits (I think you have to be elected to three House terms before you get the pension). His term expires on January 3, 2025 and he certainly won't be re-elected.

He will face enormous pressure to resign, particularly as the press to sign a plea bargain increases. But as far as I know, there is nothing that automatically expels him from Congress for being charged or convicted or even incarcerated. So I guess he would still get his pay and his health insurance. I think USSS can stand-down in favor of BOP with respect to a first-term congressman.
    Awesome. Mark this as another santos lies.

But as far as I know, there is nothing that automatically expels him from Congress for being charged or convicted or even incarcerated.
    Yeah, I embarrassingly learned this from that “history of federal prosecutions against a sitting speaker of the house” joke post.

It was no fun reading this.

(CNN) — A 23-count superseding indictment has been filed against Republican Rep. George Santos of New York.

The indictment out of the Eastern District of New York includes one count of conspiracy to commit fraud against the United States, two counts of aggravated identify theft and several other charges……

Why doesn't this just say a 23 count indictment was filed?

What is a 'superseding' indictment?

How did no one post the most delicious video of George finding out from the press he was charged?

This is so stupid - this is about the easiest crime to prove. Credit card receipts showing charges from Santos. Bank records showing transfers from the receipts to Santos's personal account. Testimony from the card-holder that it wasn't authorized. Fraud. Larceny. Wire crimes. Etc.

witch hunt is the new republican term for I broke the law and they are after me.

New York Republicans in the US House on Wednesday moved to expel one of their own: George Santos, the serial fabulist and accused fraudster who faces new charges under a superseding federal indictment.

“Today, I’ll be introducing an expulsion resolution to rid the People’s House of fraudster George Santos,” the GOP congressman Anthony D’Esposito said in a post on social media.

In response, Santos said he was going nowhere, asking his “fellow Americans” to “stay strong … and trust that the process will unfold as it should”.

D’Esposito said the resolution was co-sponsored by Nick LaLota, Mike Lawler, Marc Molinaro, Nick Langworthy and Brandon Williams – all House Republicans from New York.

Santos won his own New York seat last year, in midterm elections that saw the House swing to Republican control in no small part due to success in the Empire state.……

I really hope this guy is a wakeup call to Dems, on a national level not just NY. The most infuriating part of this to me is this guy should have never gotten elected. If politics was a meritocracy. The head of the NY dems, and whoever was responsible for oppo research would have be on a perma blacklist.

I really hope this guy is a wakeup call to Dems, on a national level not just NY. The most infuriating part of this to me is this guy should have never gotten elected. If politics was a meritocracy. The head of the NY dems, and whoever was responsible for oppo research would have be on a perma blacklist.

Your post prompted me to a google - and this is an interesting piece on the depth of the Dems opposition research n Santos:

Embattled Rep George Santos (R-NY) raised a negative amount of money in the most recent fundraising quarter, due to having to refund multiple campaign contributors as he faces legal battles.

Mr Santos’s campaign filed his most recent quarterly campaign finance disclosure to the Federal Election Commission on Sunday, the deadline for doing so.

The filing showed that his campaign had a negative cash flow of $16,526.09. The loss of money is mostly due to making campaign refunds. Some of the refunds were for as much as $3,300, while others were for as low as $15.

At the same time, Mr Santos spent about four times as much money as he lost between July and the end of September. His campaign reported $42,086.42 in fundraising. His campaign spent $20,000 on legal fees to the firm Dickinson Wright PLC.…….

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom