DOJ reviewing classified documents found at former Biden office and residence, Special Counsel appointed (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SaintForLife

Reaction score
    Attorney General Merrick Garland has assigned the U.S. attorney in Chicago to review documents marked classified that were found at the Penn Biden Center for Diplomacy and Global Engagement in Washington, two sources with knowledge of the inquiry told CBS News. The roughly 10 documents are from President Biden's vice-presidential office at the center, the sources said. CBS News has learned the FBI is also involved in the U.S. attorney's inquiry.

The material was identified by personal attorneys for Mr. Biden on Nov. 2, just before the midterm elections, Richard Sauber, special counsel to the president confirmed. The documents were discovered when Mr. Biden's personal attorneys "were packing files housed in a locked closet to prepare to vacate office space at the Penn Biden Center in Washington, D.C.," Sauber said in a statement to CBS News. The documents were contained in a folder that was in a box with other unclassified papers, the sources said. The sources revealed neither what the documents contain nor their level of classification. A source familiar with the matter told CBS News the documents did not contain nuclear secrets.

...The White House statement said that it “is cooperating” with the department but did not explain why Mr. Biden’s team waited more than two months to announce the discovery of the documents, which came a week before the midterm congressional elections when the news would have been an explosive last-minute development.

It also came shortly before Mr. Garland’s Nov. 18 appointment of Jack Smith as a special counsel to take over the criminal investigation into Mr. Trump’s failure to return a large number of classified documents that were sent to his Florida residence and club, Mar-a-Lago, when he left office — even after being subpoenaed.

A government watchdog is demanding the US attorney probing Hunter Biden in Delaware investigate tens of millions in anonymous donations from China to the University of Pennsylvania, where an academic center is named for his father, President Biden.

The Ivy League college raked in a total of $54.6 million from 2014 through June 2019 in donations from China, including $23.1 million in anonymous gifts starting in 2016, according to public records.

Most of the anonymous donations came after the university announced in February 2017 that it would create the Penn Biden Center for Diplomacy and Global Engagement. Joe Biden, whose term as vice president had just ended, was to lead the center and was also named a professor at the university.

The center, which is located in Washington, DC, opened its doors in February 2018. Antony Blinken, whom Biden named as secretary of state, briefly served as its managing director.

The Ivy League university received $15.8 million in anonymous Chinese gifts that year, including one eye-popping $14.5 million donation in May 2018, records show.

WASHINGTON — Aides to President Joe Biden have discovered at least one additional batch of classified documents in a location separate from the Washington office he used after leaving the Obama administration, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Since November, after the discovery of documents with classified markings in his former office, Biden aides have been searching for any additional classified materials that might be in other locations he used, said the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to provide details about the ongoing inquiry...........

Lol, political disaster.. almost going to be forced to appoint a special counsel imo.

Last edited:
    I'm sorry. It's just hilarious to see you guys make all these different excuses for Biden especially compared to what yall said when Trump did it.
    I'm not making excuses and think it seems proper for there to be an investigation.. .. but Trump did certainly handle things in a different manner.

I'm not making excuses and think it seems proper for there to be an investigation.. .. but Trump did certainly handle things in a different manner.
    We don't even know all the facts about what Trump did in that situation and if he had declassified certain documents. Do you remember them saying he had secret US nuclear documents? Everyone freaked our about that. Then we later found out from yet another unnamed source that it wasn't even about the US.

We don't even know all the facts about what Trump did in that situation and if he had declassified certain documents. Do you remember them saying he had secret US nuclear documents? Everyone freaked our about that. Then we later found out from yet another unnamed source that it wasn't even about the US.
    I was just speaking generally about Trump's handling of it with the resistance along with all the crazy shirt he said.

That's right. You wait until after the midterm elections to announce it.
    No, they didn't announce it until the DOJ appointed an attorney to look into the matter...something that would not have done if it weren't for the Trump/Mar-A-Lago case.

As I stated earlier, people finding classified material where it doesn't belong is not uncommon. And, when it happens, not much is made of it. The only time it becomes an issue is when someone has classified material and intentionally refuses to give it up and hides it.

So, let me ask you something, so I can try and pin down your position on this. Two simple questions, both are yes/no questions:

1) Do you agree that these are the basic facts involving the situations with Biden and Trump and their document issues, as we know them?
    Biden---His people found some classified documents in an office that they were closing. They contacted the archives immediately and returned the items.
    Trump--NARA contacted him and told him that he needed to return some presidential records. For a year and a half, Trump returned some, but refused to return all of the records that he had. His lawyer even signed a false sworn statement that they had no more records. A search warrant was executed, and hundreds of documents (some marked classified) were seized by the FBI agents.

2) If you do agree that those are the basic facts, as we know them, do you believe that the two situations are identical?

We don't even know all the facts about what Trump did in that situation and if he had declassified certain documents.

You DO understand that IF Trump declassified things, that changes nothing with regard to his case, and is potentially orders of magnitude worse than him having classified documents at his home....right?

Lol, political disaster.. almost going to be forced to appoint a special council imo.
    Why? We are light years away from criminal investigations. Remember, Trump's criminal investigation is due to his attempts to obstruct investigators and hiding US documents. We have seen ZERO of either of those from Biden yet.

Let's say that the circumstances surrounding the material are the same for Biden as they are for Trump. With everything else being equal, which is worse? Refusing to return them, including having your lawyer lie in a sworn statement about how the property was searched and nothing else was found, or immediately cooperating with the proper authorities to return them?

Why? We are light years away from criminal investigations. Remember, Trump's criminal investigation is due to his attempts to obstruct investigators and hiding US documents. We have seen ZERO of either of those from Biden yet.

Fair.

It all just seems so complicated suddenly to me with Biden's DOJ potentially prosecuting the preceding President (from a different party) for crimes related to classified documents when he's
    seemingly just been found to have wrongfully been in possession of classified documents himself.

Fair.

It all just seems so complicated suddenly to me with Biden's DOJ potentially prosecuting the preceding President (from a different party) for crimes related to classified documents when he's
    seemingly just been found to have wrongfully been in possession of classified documents himself.

But, that oversimplifies the situation, and gets things wrong. Trump is not being potentially prosecuted for anything related to classified documents. He is being potentially prosecuted for obstructing investigators and not returning presidential records. The classification of the documents is irrelevant.

But, yeah...it is complicated, and it's horrible optics.

But, that oversimplifies the situation, and gets things wrong. Trump is not being potentially prosecuted for anything related to classified documents. He is being potentially prosecuted for obstructing investigators and not returning presidential records. The classification of the documents is irrelevant.

I understand the distinction.. I did purposely oversimplify it there but I think that's also about the way the 'average' person is probably going to view it. I just think threading the needle here in something that was already going to be complicated just became much more so.

And I really said the 'special counsel' thing because of those optics more than anything and with the seemingly obvious pitfalls here related to prosecuting Trump while also downplaying this stuff with Biden.

And I really said the 'special counsel' thing because of those optics more than anything and with the seemingly obvious pitfalls here related to prosecuting Trump while also downplaying this stuff with Biden.
    There’s no evidence that DOJ is downplaying it, though. They’ve appointed a US attorney to investigate. I would be willing to bet that if they find something actionable they will prosecute (given the caveat that they cannot prosecute Biden at this time).

The little bit that I’ve seen about the actual material indicates they are notes for the VP when he had some policy discussions with foreign nations. I’m sure at some point we will find out specifics.
    That's right. You wait until after the midterm elections to announce it.
    If you have found classified material where it shouldn’t be, you report it and turn it over. You don’t make announcements about classified material unless forced to. Trump forced them to do so by his actions. He ignored confidential polite requests, for months. He ignored a confidential subpoena. He had his attorney lie in a statement that all classified materials had been returned. None of this was leaked. It only came out when they were forced to execute a search warrant to get the material back.

I don’t think the Biden announcement came from the DOJ either.

Of course Biden‘s team waited to announce when there would be time to let all the facts come out. Every single politician in the world would do the same, rather than announcing during an election. This especially applies when you know that your political opponents and right wing media will lie shamelessly and loudly about the entire situation.

How do you know Biden inadvertently took the classified documents? You don't. You are just speculating. I understand that's the current Democrat talking point.

I think gross negligence boarders on intent, so there is probably some level of considering that per the legal definition. So, the tweets are both accurate, yet not accurate enough.

Gross negligence is a lack of care that demonstrates reckless disregard for the safety or lives of others, which is so great it appears to be a conscious violation of other people's rights to safety. Gross negligence is a heightened degree of negligence representing an extreme departure from the ordinary standard of care. Falling between intent to do wrongful harm and ordinary negligence, gross negligence is defined as willful, wanton, and reckless conduct affecting the life or property or another.

ASHINGTON (Reuters) -President Joe Biden's legal team has discovered a second set of classified documents from his time as vice president at a storage space in the garage of his home in Wilmington, Delaware, the White House said on Thursday.

The statement by Richard Sauber, a special counsel to Biden, came days after the White House said an earlier batch of documents had been discovered in November in the closet of an office at a University of Pennsylvania think tank that Biden had used after leaving the vice presidency.

The discoveries have presented legal and political headaches for Biden as he prepares for an expected 2024 re-election campaign in the upcoming months.

A single document was found in a room adjacent to the garage in Wilmington and no documents were found in the Bidens' Rehoboth Beach home, Sauber said in a statement. The administration is "fully cooperating" to ensure that the records are handled properly, Sauber said...........

Garland's expected to make a statement this afternoon.

Last edited:
    So, they (presumably Biden’s staff) are conducting a search of all documents and found another batch of classified documents. Don’t know where they found it. The DOJ needs to find out who moved them, when and why and make that public. The good thing is that Biden won’t lie or obstruct the investigation. I agree with this guy:

I'm sorry. It's just hilarious to see you guys make all these different excuses for Biden especially compared to what yall said when Trump did it.

I don’t think that kind of personal attack with no connection to any active discussion is helpful.

I'll be as consistent as I always am in these situations.

If someone committed a crime, they should be prosecuted. I don't care which party they belong to. Full stop.

@SaintForLife and @Farb won't say that.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-aides-discover-second-batch-classified-docs-another-location

"President Biden aides have found at least one more batch of classified documents located at a location other than the Penn Biden Center office in Washington, D.C., that he used in the years after he was vice president during the Obama administration, Fox News has confirmed.

A source told NBC News, which first reported the development, that aides to Biden have been searching for additional documents that contained classified material in other locations that may have been used by the president.

The development comes after a separate batch of classified documents were recovered from Biden's private office located at the Penn Biden Center in November."

Oops! check out the 12:20 part.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom