Does Trump ever do any jail time? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Everything I've seen and heard says that the split second Donald Trump is no longer president there will be flood of charges waiting for him

And if he resigns and Pence pardons him there are a ton of state charges as an understudy waiting in the wings if the fed charges can't perform

What do you think the likelihood of there being a jail sentence?

In every movie and TV show I've ever seen, in every political thriller I've ever read about a criminal and corrupt president there is ALWAYS some version of;

"We can't do that to the country",

"A trial would tear the country apart",

"For the nation to heal we need to move on" etc.

Would life imitate art?

Even with the charges, even with the proof the charges are true will the powers that be decide, "we can't do that to the country"?

Last edited:
    Right. I saw a few former doj attorneys make the same remark. And obviously that should be a more weighted opinion. I am however a little unsettled because its Thomas.

So the way it works is that Thomas can reject/deny it himself - or he can refer it to the full court for consideration. If he denies it acting alone, Trump can then apply again to another justice and it starts over. If he grants it acting alone, DOJ can appeal to the full court. For these reasons, justices typically refer applications to the court unless they're quite confident there won't be meaningful dissent.

I don't think even Trumps appointees would want to open pandoras box when it comes to this situation. They will open the door for fututre presidents to potentially take documents that could be used to bring harm to this country if not stored properly. It wouldn't be that hard for foreign agents to get their hands on classified documents not stored securely, ie, in a closet...

I don't think even Trumps appointees would want to open pandoras box when it comes to this situation. They will open the door for fututre presidents to potentially take documents that could be used to bring harm to this country if not stored properly. It wouldn't be that hard for foreign agents to get their hands on classified documents not stored securely, ie, in a closet...
    Yeah, sorry. I have zero trust in this SCOTUS.

It’s a really narrow application and poorly supported. Doubt even Clarence will be interested but the chance of being granted is very low.
    Interesting sentence from the application:

As noted above…the government has tried to criminalize President Trump’s possession of and management of his own personal and Presidential records.

That sounds like an admission that Trump was keeping Presidential records. Since the PRA specifically states that the government retains possession of Presidential records, isn’t that at admission of guilt?

Interesting sentence from the application:

That sounds like an admission that Trump was keeping Presidential records. Since the PRA specifically states that the government retains possession of Presidential records, isn’t that at admission of guilt?

Yes, at least as to how DOJ understands (properly) the law - and it isn't the first he's made. But he's arguing that he's entitled to possess them (he's not).

Yes, at least as to how DOJ understands (properly) the law - and it isn't the first he's made. But he's arguing that he's entitled to possess them (he's not).
    I don’t get how ANY lawyer can say that the DOJ is trying to criminalize Trumps possession of Presidential records when the PRA says, in simple English, “The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records.”

I get that they are trying anything they can come up with, but arguing that the DOJ is criminalizing something that the law specifies is illegal is laughable.

I don’t get how ANY lawyer can say that the DOJ is trying to criminalize Trumps possession of Presidential records when the PRA says, in simple English, “The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records.”

I get that they are trying anything they can come up with, but arguing that the DOJ is criminalizing something that the law specifies is illegal is laughable.

Trump just doesn't comprehend the idea that there are things that don't belong to him.

Trump just doesn't comprehend the idea that there are things that don't belong to him.
    He has never had anyone tell him any different. thats the way it is for most Billionaire that are born into money.. Just like Musk being put in his place by the Twitter Lawsuit. He was just so used to having his way because of his bank account, he thought he could just pull out of the deal with no consequenses

Didn't the courts rule that "NARA does not have the authority to designate materials as Presidential records, NARA doesn't have the tapes in question, and NARA lacks any right, duty, or means to seize control of them" back during the case of Judicial Watch vs NARA in reference to President Clinton?

20221005_171910.jpg

20221005_171926.jpg

20221005_171945.png

Does that have any relevance to Trump's dispute with NARA?

Didn't the courts rule that "NARA does not have the authority to designate materials as Presidential records, NARA doesn't have the tapes in question, and NARA lacks any right, duty, or means to seize control of them" back during the case of Judicial Watch vs NARA in reference to President Clinton?

20221005_171910.jpg

20221005_171926.jpg

20221005_171945.png

Nope.

I'm not even going to address the classified materials he illegally possessed. As for other records that he took with him, did he he go through the process of identifying them as his personal documents or did he just "wished" them so after he was caught?

The case that you are referencing is opposite to this current case, the NARA agreed with Clinton that his tapes would be excluded from his presidential library and a media outlet sued to have them included IAW Presidential Records Act. Also, if I read this right, the court dismissed the suit.

Donald Trump is seeking to withhold from the justice department two folders marked as containing correspondence with the National Archives and signing sheets that the FBI seized from his Mar-a-Lago resort, according to court filings in the special master review of the confiscated documents.

The former US president’s privilege assertions over the folders, which appear to have direct relevance to the criminal investigation into whether he retained national defense information and obstructed justice, are significant as they represent an effort to exclude the items from the inquiry and keep them confidential.

Most notably, Trump asserted privilege over the contents of one red folder marked as containing “NARA letters and other copies” and a second, manilla folder marked as containing “NARA letters one top sheet + 3 signing sheets”, a review of the court filings indicated.

The former president also asserted privilege over 35 pages of documents titled “The President’s Calls” that included the presidential seal in the upper left corner and contained handwritten names, numbers, notes about messages and four blank pages of miscellaneous notes, the filings showed…….

Donald Trump is seeking to withhold from the justice department two folders marked as containing correspondence with the National Archives and signing sheets that the FBI seized from his Mar-a-Lago resort, according to court filings in the special master review of the confiscated documents.

The former US president’s privilege assertions over the folders, which appear to have direct relevance to the criminal investigation into whether he retained national defense information and obstructed justice, are significant as they represent an effort to exclude the items from the inquiry and keep them confidential.

Most notably, Trump asserted privilege over the contents of one red folder marked as containing “NARA letters and other copies” and a second, manilla folder marked as containing “NARA letters one top sheet + 3 signing sheets”, a review of the court filings indicated.

The former president also asserted privilege over 35 pages of documents titled “The President’s Calls” that included the presidential seal in the upper left corner and contained handwritten names, numbers, notes about messages and four blank pages of miscellaneous notes, the filings showed…….

It's a rhetorical question, but what part of "Executive privilege no longer exists for you, stop calling" does he not understand?

If Trump believes he is the president, then it could be argued that he thinks he isn't breaking a law. Can his state of mind/delusion be a viable defense?

20221005_171910.jpg

20221005_171926.jpg

20221005_171945.png

Sorry I haven’t responded - I’ll look it over.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom