All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

I mean I’m sure people said it, I just don’t feel like it was some big movement or whatever. I can’t bring myself to care what random Twitter people said.
    And that’s fine, I’m just saying, it is happening. To Donk’s point, I’m glad those folks changed their tunes regarding the vaccine, it’s just interesting how they demand to show their arse by still attacking Trump on this issue when they were feeding their follows disinformation.

Politics are wild y’all.

Last edited:
    I'm one of those people who have given Trump a plus one for each time he has suggested to his base that they ought to get the vaccines that are available.

Those few pluses offset one to one for the minuses that Trump has racked up with me over the last five years such that he's still in the hole holding something like 5,000 minuses.

I'm one of those people who have given Trump a plus one for each time he has suggested to his base that they ought to get the vaccines that are available.

Those few pluses offset one to one for the minuses that Trump has racked up with me over the last five years such that he's still in the hole holding something like 5,000 minuses.

I don’t, I think someone that advises him has alerted him to the fact that most of those unvaxxed folks that are dying off are Trump voters/supporters….he never does anything that isn’t self-serving….

And that’s fine, I’m just saying, it is happening. To Dino’s point, I’m glad those folks changed their tunes regarding the vaccine, it’s just interesting how they demand to show their arse by still attacking Trump on this issue when they were feeding their follows disinformation.

Politics are wild y’all.
    I think there’s a touch of “Twitter weirdos are Twitter weirdos” mixed in there :hihi:

He straight up sabotaged the covid response until it started hitting red states. Why make a statement now? It's conservatives that are overwhelming dying of covid as the only holdouts. It's been primarily older Americans who vote every single election. The current situation is a self-realized nightmare for them.
    This in a nutshell times billiondry. One of his first statements was this is the flu. Warm weather will kill it. I'm just a country boy
    with a brain. I'm saying NO!!!! you idiot. This isn't the GD flu. Covid and Influenza belong to two different families of viruses.
    In the animal kingdom they are related the same as a cat and a dog. The flu has a season. Common colds occur year round. The
    difference is Covid is a common cold that can kill you. I said to myself after his statement, we are heading for trouble.

And I have no doubt these are the same GOP governors who railed against the unemployment benefits for lazy people who decided they wanted something more than a high risk, low pay, zero satisfaction or appreciation job
    ==========================

At least five Republican-led states have extended unemployment benefits to people who’ve lost jobs over vaccine mandates — and a smattering of others may soon follow.

Workers who quit or are fired for cause — including for defying company policy — are generally ineligible for jobless benefits.

But Arkansas, Florida, Iowa, Kansas and Tennessee have carved out exceptions for those who won’t submit to the multi-shot coronavirus vaccine regimens that many companies now require. Similar ideas have been floated in Wyoming, Wisconsin and Missouri.

Critics contend that these states are incentivizing people to skip shots that public health experts say offer the best line of defense against the coronavirus.

Business leaders and industry groups have argued against the rule changes because, they say, companies would shoulder much of the costs.

And the efforts are playing out as the Biden administration is pressing immunization rules for private companies and as coronavirus cases are surging again because of the fast-spreading omicron variant.

Observers say it’s a mark of the politicization of the coronavirus — with fights flaring over business closures, mask mandates and more — and how it has scrambled state politics and altered long-held positions.

It wasn’t long ago, they note, that two dozen Republican-led states moved to restrict unemployment aid to compel residents to return to the workforce and ease labor shortages.

“These governors, who are using the unemployment insurance system in a moment of political theater to make a statement about the vaccine mandate, are the same folks who turned off unemployment benefits early for millions of workers over the summer,” said Rebecca Dixon, the executive director of the left-leaning National Employment Law Project.

Arkansas, Iowa, Tennessee and Florida cut federal unemployment aid in June……..

And I have no doubt these are the same GOP governors who railed against the unemployment benefits for lazy people who decided they wanted something more than a high risk, low pay, zero satisfaction or appreciation job
    ==========================

At least five Republican-led states have extended unemployment benefits to people who’ve lost jobs over vaccine mandates — and a smattering of others may soon follow.

Workers who quit or are fired for cause — including for defying company policy — are generally ineligible for jobless benefits.

But Arkansas, Florida, Iowa, Kansas and Tennessee have carved out exceptions for those who won’t submit to the multi-shot coronavirus vaccine regimens that many companies now require. Similar ideas have been floated in Wyoming, Wisconsin and Missouri.

Critics contend that these states are incentivizing people to skip shots that public health experts say offer the best line of defense against the coronavirus.

Business leaders and industry groups have argued against the rule changes because, they say, companies would shoulder much of the costs.

And the efforts are playing out as the Biden administration is pressing immunization rules for private companies and as coronavirus cases are surging again because of the fast-spreading omicron variant.

Observers say it’s a mark of the politicization of the coronavirus — with fights flaring over business closures, mask mandates and more — and how it has scrambled state politics and altered long-held positions.

It wasn’t long ago, they note, that two dozen Republican-led states moved to restrict unemployment aid to compel residents to return to the workforce and ease labor shortages.

“These governors, who are using the unemployment insurance system in a moment of political theater to make a statement about the vaccine mandate, are the same folks who turned off unemployment benefits early for millions of workers over the summer,” said Rebecca Dixon, the executive director of the left-leaning National Employment Law Project.

Arkansas, Iowa, Tennessee and Florida cut federal unemployment aid in June……..

Is there anything worse than a hypocritical elected official. Welfare Benefits for the poor are bad, welfare benefits for healthy companies is good. Student loan forgiveness is bad, corporate bailouts are good.

This in a nutshell times billiondry. One of his first statements was this is the flu. Warm weather will kill it. I'm just a country boy
    with a brain. I'm saying NO!!!! you idiot. This isn't the GD flu. Covid and Influenza belong to two different families of viruses.
    In the animal kingdom they are related the same as a cat and a dog. The flu has a season. Common colds occur year round. The
    difference is Covid is a common cold that can kill you. I said to myself after his statement, we are heading for trouble.
    This is sad but true. My grandfather was a janitor for about a dozen years when my mother was growing up. He did his tour in WW2, came back became a drill sergeant, was a janitor for a large company in the New Orleans area, then went into business selling seafood, sold out the business and retired for good a few years before passing.

My mother and her sisters were talking about his time as a janitor a year ago. Apparently as a janitor he was able to provide for his family (of 8 kids) very well. They lived off City Park Ave between CPA and Canal, and while they weren’t rich, they didn’t want for anything. Meanwhile when he was a drill sergeant (in order to make ends meet) my grandmother would make pralines, and my uncle and oldest aunts would sell them on corners in the FQ to whoever would buy them.

Things have certainly changed since the 60’s and not necessarily for the best.

Darwin Award or Poetic Justice? Or Both?

Self-Proclaimed ‘Plague Spreader’ Dies of COVID After Boasting About Maskless Grocery Store Stunt​

So, he basically denied the seriousness of Covid, got Covid, had heavy symptoms, went to a grocery store to intentionally infect and possibly be responsible for other peoples deaths. This guy was pure trash and, IMO, got what he deserved...

anti-vaxxer and COVID-denier who sparked outrage after declaring himself a “plague spreader” and boasting about how he walked around sick and maskless in a supermarket is now dead of COVID-19, according to local media reports.
    openly told listeners he was seriously ill, with a high fever, but had made a point to stroll through a crowded grocery store maskless.

Darwin Award or Poetic Justice? Or Both?

Self-Proclaimed ‘Plague Spreader’ Dies of COVID After Boasting About Maskless Grocery Store Stunt​

So, he basically denied the seriousness of Covid, got Covid, had heavy symptoms, went to a grocery store to intentionally infect and possibly be responsible for other peoples deaths. This guy was pure trash and, IMO, got what he deserved...

It seems like there has been another story similar to this one, but from last year.

As I recall that one got his just comeuppance, dying from his stunt too.

Republicans have let their party become overrun by conspiracy theorists:

My family is a good example of how Republicans have infected people's minds. Most of my family members are conservative Republicans, and my mom's half of the family has gone wacko. I spent about 30 minutes at the end of our Christmas celebration trying to convince them that my 85 year old mom needed a booster, since it had been over 10 months since she had her second shot, and 9 months since she had had Covid. One of my sisters, that was on the fence about getting the booster, was the one that got her her initial vaccinations, but my other 2 sisters argued against those shots as well. Despite her, her husband, and my mom getting the initial couple of shots, my other sisters had managed to pursuade her that the booster might not be needed. My unvaccinated relatives on that side of the family have all gotten Covid, one hospitalized child, and a couple had it very bad, yet they were against the booster. One was claiming that she works with patients, and knows 2000 that have had negative reactions to the vaccine. I told her to report it to the FBI, but I should've told her to report it to Fox or another conservative media outlet. She refused to elaborate under the guise of patient privacy, but I should've told her that I didn't want names, just information. Another told me that the vaccines have heavy metals that will cause more serious effects. I found reports that refuted that. Another said that I should get an antibody check, and that mom should be fine because of having had Covid. I told her that while she might, I would only defer getting her the booster if they promised me that they would have her antibody levels checked, and if not high, then to get her the booster, but they wouldn't commit to that. They touted the benefits of natural immunity, to which I said that is a crap shoot, and results in many more deaths than necessary. In addition, I told her that no matter what antibodies she might have, the booster would increase her antibodies, and in all likelihood, an 85 year old's antibodies would be low, and she could easily be a bad natural immunity statistic. They argued that I should allow them to deal with that, but I argued that she is also my mom, and I'm not willing to take unnecessary risks. Of course there was the requisite attack on Fauci. I provided them multiple articles to prove the value of the vaccines. They attacked some as Marcist, which makes no sense, since I don't think Marcists would be pro-pharmaceutical companies. They argued that I needed to wait until after our celebration so that mom wouldn't have to miss it, but I was leaving the next day, so then they argued that I shouldn't get her the booster, because they would have to deal with the aftermath. I argued that she had only mild symptoms last time, and it should be no worse, since the boosters are half the dosage. They said I only thought of myself and was selfish, which was rich, since their concern was only for themselves. I was arguing with about 6 of my relatives, so I didn't think of some good retorts, but I think I gave them enough to think about, not that any of it mattered.

Fortunately, my aunt's family, that is also very conservative, is much more sensible. I got my mom the booster before I left New Orleans, and her symptoms were very mild. I have peace of mind, and one of my sisters, and my aunt's family have all congratulated me for getting her vaccinated. My aunt's family doesn't think it was political, but it was obviously all political.

My family is a good example of how Republicans have infected people's minds. Most of my family members are conservative Republicans, and my mom's half of the family has gone wacko. I spent about 30 minutes at the end of our Christmas celebration trying to convince them that my 85 year old mom needed a booster, since it had been over 10 months since she had her second shot, and 9 months since she had had Covid. One of my sisters, that was on the fence about getting the booster, was the one that got her her initial vaccinations, but my other 2 sisters argued against those shots as well. Despite her, her husband, and my mom getting the initial couple of shots, my other sisters had managed to pursuade her that the booster might not be needed. My unvaccinated relatives on that side of the family have all gotten Covid, one hospitalized child, and a couple had it very bad, yet they were against the booster. One was claiming that she works with patients, and knows 2000 that have had negative reactions to the vaccine. I told her to report it to the FBI, but I should've told her to report it to Fox or another conservative media outlet. She refused to elaborate under the guise of patient privacy, but I should've told her that I didn't want names, just information. Another told me that the vaccines have heavy metals that will cause more serious effects. I found reports that refuted that. Another said that I should get an antibody check, and that mom should be fine because of having had Covid. I told her that while she might, I would only defer getting her the booster if they promised me that they would have her antibody levels checked, and if not high, then to get her the booster, but they wouldn't commit to that. They touted the benefits of natural immunity, to which I said that is a crap shoot, and results in many more deaths than necessary. In addition, I told her that no matter what antibodies she might have, the booster would increase her antibodies, and in all likelihood, an 85 year old's antibodies would be low, and she could easily be a bad natural immunity statistic. They argued that I should allow them to deal with that, but I argued that she is also my mom, and I'm not willing to take unnecessary risks. Of course there was the requisite attack on Fauci. I provided them multiple articles to prove the value of the vaccines. They attacked some as Marcist, which makes no sense, since I don't think Marcists would be pro-pharmaceutical companies. They argued that I needed to wait until after our celebration so that mom wouldn't have to miss it, but I was leaving the next day, so then they argued that I shouldn't get her the booster, because they would have to deal with the aftermath. I argued that she had only mild symptoms last time, and it should be no worse, since the boosters are half the dosage. They said I only thought of myself and was selfish, which was rich, since their concern was only for themselves. I was arguing with about 6 of my relatives, so I didn't think of some good retorts, but I think I gave them enough to think about, not that any of it mattered.

Fortunately, my aunt's family, that is also very conservative, is much more sensible. I got my mom the booster before I left New Orleans, and her symptoms were very mild. I have peace of mind, and one of my sisters, and my aunt's family have all congratulated me for getting her vaccinated. My aunt's family doesn't think it was political, but it was obviously all political.
    That's a good story with a happy ending.

Trump isn't encouraging his followers to get fully vaccinated due to some newly-discovered redeemed appreciation of what CDC epidemiologists and virulogists have been saying for nearly 2 years. He's been told by advisers, politicians, and family and friends that the majority of Covid-related deaths and new Delta/Omicron positive test rates are in mostly red, conservative states and these diehard idealogues/voters can't be easily replaced once their dead if he's seriously planning another POTUS campaign run in 2024. His newfound willingness to urge MAGA voters to get vaccinated to avoid too many of them dying off or being left too permanently disabled is based around solely for political and personal expediency.

Trump, FWIW, has been criticized not necessarily for saying people shouldn't get immunized, or fully vaccinated, its been his insistence that they didnt really need to if they didnt want to. It wasnt totally most necessary thing to do for some Americans when it really kind of wasnt up for debate.

Candace Owens doubling down
    =====================

….."People oftentimes forget that, like, how old Trump is," Owens said on an Instagram Live post Thursday night. "He comes from a generation — I've seen other people that are older have the exact same perspective, like, they came from a time before TV, before internet, before being able to conduct their independent research."

Trump, who famously had his own reality TV show, never lived in "a time before TV," but he also doesn't use a computer.

Trump's vaccine support isn't "evil" or "based in any corruption," Owens told her followers, but "he needs to have a larger conversation to understand what's going on and why so many people are horrified by his remarks."…..

Candace Owens doubling down
    =====================

….."People oftentimes forget that, like, how old Trump is," Owens said on an Instagram Live post Thursday night. "He comes from a generation — I've seen other people that are older have the exact same perspective, like, they came from a time before TV, before internet, before being able to conduct their independent research."

Trump, who famously had his own reality TV show, never lived in "a time before TV," but he also doesn't use a computer.

Trump's vaccine support isn't "evil" or "based in any corruption," Owens told her followers, but "he needs to have a larger conversation to understand what's going on and why so many people are horrified by his remarks."…..

You know, if Trump continues to subtly alienate his main Congressional followers, senators, and his MAGA crowd, thats actually a good thing if you're a member of Team Blue, because its evidence of the slow, perhaps inevitable cracks or disillusionment of Trump from his primary core political base and-without Trump- GOP has no real legitimate POTUS candidate thats serviceable or has a realistic chance of running and winning POTUS in 2024. A few MAGA politicians, albeit quietly, and maybe even some in the MAGA universe are starting to doubt Trump's viability and reliability when he'll be 78 years old once 2024 comes around. Trumpism doesn't exist without a charismatic, meglomaniacal autocratic leader at the center and there aren't any newer, younger " Trumpist "-styled politicians who can take hold of his following, be embraced by it and consolidate it as part of their new movements.

Desantis isn't that guy, he's a low-level wannabe Trump. Tom Cotton won't be presidential material for another 10-15 years and while he's a bit of a proto-authoritarian, he doesn't have Trump's charisma, mesmerizing effect on voters or groups, although he is more intelligent, and politically savvy then other would-be, wannabe Trumpists. But outside Arkansas, he doesn't have much a national following and profile.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom