All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

I don't like the idea of mandates. But shaming the otherwise clueless or those who put politics ahead of science? Absolutely.

I've made this point in conversations. Freedom is great, but you can't pair up freedom and silence. If people are free to not get vaccinated or mask (and I think they should be) then the rest of us should be free to be critical and ostracize them. Public/peer pressure is the only tool of a genuinely free society.

This is terrible. Sign of a failure in leadership during the pandemic.

When I really stop and think about how people politicized this pandemic. How they questioned the severity, how they said it was no worse than the flu, etc. I get really angry. Those people in government and the media have blood on their hands.

I try not to think about it out of self-care. But it didn't have to be this bad. It was going to be a terrible pandemic, but it didn’t have to be this way at all.

Worse yet, nobody has really done anything except double down. In the face of all the death, the destruction of lives and families, nobody is saying they were wrong and we should have taken it more seriously. Nobody. Blood on their hands.

When I really stop and think about how people politicized this pandemic. How they questioned the severity, how they said it was no worse than the flu, etc. I get really angry. Those people in government and the media have blood on their hands.

I try not to think about it out of self-care. But it didn't have to be this bad. It was going to be a terrible pandemic, but it didn’t have to be this way at all.

Worse yet, nobody has really done anything except double down. In the face of all the death, the destruction of lives and families, nobody is saying they were wrong and we should have taken it more seriously. Nobody. Blood on their hands.
    It's almost like they're intentionally trying to give 1917-1918 a run for its money. Although, the cynical part of me doubts that a good majority even know what happened way back then.

Florida's red headed stepchild making a run for Darwin Award of the Week.

Seriously though...poor kids are now parentless. Good thing their parents went out sticking it to the libs and believing their own "research" instead of getting the jab.

Florida's red headed stepchild making a run for Darwin Award of the Week.

Seriously though...poor kids are now parentless. Good thing their parents went out sticking it to the libs and believing their own "research" instead of getting the jab.
    What is that nonsense that he says about the vaccine actually being a immunotherapy?! I've heard this from other anti-vaxers. First of all, of course it is a vaccine, since it causes your body to generate antibodies. Second, even if it wasn't, and still protected you for many months, why would that even be a basis to refuse it? Strange logic.

It's people without a shred of scientific knowledge opining about science because they read it on Facebook... and stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

They do, but like anything anymore, the good of the nation as a whole is so low in priority. In the beginning it started out as an us against them. Masks, no masks. Social distance vs not. A virus isn’t political, it doesn’t care. It’s equal opportunity killer, yet these stupid games have opened the door to a lot of needless death.

I've made this point in conversations. Freedom is great, but you can't pair up freedom and silence. If people are free to not get vaccinated or mask (and I think they should be) then the rest of us should be free to be critical and ostracize them. Public/peer pressure is the only tool of a genuinely free society.
    Some might argue on the same coin that that same public/peer pressure also comes across as mob rule, harassment, verbal threats, intimidation to conform to laws or proposed legislation the majority of Americans support, but some in a minority oppose due to religious or ethical obligations, like conscientious objectors in wars. Public/peer pressure, ie. racist, mob rule kept Deep South deeply segregated society and culture for over a century after the Civil War and most of the Deep South became a nasty, vicious, bloody, violent legal, political battleground from the late 50's-early 70's when successive presidential administrations finally succeeded in desegregation schools, parks,.colleges, public places, academia.

I'd be careful when saying using public/peer pressure is a very effective tool in making or promoting a genuinely free society, there are those who label it something very, VERY different and it's also very un-democratic, when it spirals out of control.

It's almost like they're intentionally trying to give 1917-1918 a run for its money. Although, the cynical part of me doubts that a good majority even know what happened way back then.
    COVID-19 has now killed about as many Americans as the 1918-19 Spanish flu pandemic did — approximately 675,000.

The U.S. population a century ago was just one-third of what it is today, meaning the flu cut a much bigger, more lethal swath through the country. But the COVID-19 crisis is by any measure a colossal tragedy in its own right, especially given the incredible advances in scientific knowledge since then and the failure to take maximum advantage of the vaccines available this time.

“Big pockets of American society — and, worse, their leaders — have thrown this away,” medical historian Dr. Howard Markel of the University of Michigan said of the opportunity to vaccinate everyone eligible by now............

Some might argue on the same coin that that same public/peer pressure also comes across as mob rule, harassment, verbal threats, intimidation to conform to laws or proposed legislation the majority of Americans support, but some in a minority oppose due to religious or ethical obligations, like conscientious objectors in wars. Public/peer pressure, ie. racist, mob rule kept Deep South deeply segregated society and culture for over a century after the Civil War and most of the Deep South became a nasty, vicious, bloody, violent legal, political battleground from the late 50's-early 70's when successive presidential administrations finally succeeded in desegregation schools, parks,.colleges, public places, academia.

I'd be careful when saying using public/peer pressure is a very effective tool in making or promoting a genuinely free society, there are those who label it something very, VERY different and it's also very un-democratic, when it spirals out of control.

Those that label it that are generally the same ones that want freedom without responsibility or consequences. You don't alter your view because a spoiled child doesn't like how you respond to them.

The anti body part is odd. You should have had them 2 months after catching covid. Unless you had the mildest case ever, even then..
    No idea. I was surprised too. He thought maybe, maybe that I had caught it before and this was the response. Something about response antibodies go away quicker than initial antibodies? I have no idea. I just know what the tests say and I double checked my patient portal this weekend.

One thing that has been completely obvious is that no one really knows and most are just guessing at this point.

And it was 3 days of a head/sinus infection feeling so yeah, it was very mild.

At one point I thought America was full of the brightest people in the world. Cared about each other. Always aspired for the best. Believed in science that got rid of numerous horrible diseases.

Now this.

Can I move to New Zealand?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom