All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

There is a view that public health should be considered in all policy decisions. No paid sick days and an outbreak make for a riskier environment.

Also, if we need to quarantine a small community will Republicans fight against some kind of subsidy? Vietnam, HK, Taiwan are providing direct funds to people quarantined. Europeans have sick days.

1. Why haven’t we applied the same travel measures to other known outbreak locales that we did to China?
    2. Why is the test-kit roll out so behind schedule?
    3. Why is the White House downplaying this situation when the rest of the world isn’t?

These are fair criticisms irrespective of politics. The fact that the president and the team are more worried about the stock market and deflecting criticism than they are about the coming epidemic is very troubling. The administration needs to get their eye on the ball and it needs to come from the top down. I’m not surprised we’re getting this from Trump but this is a challenge we all need him to face.

I only got to listen to Trump talk during that conference. I didn't get to hear the other speakers. He was awful. He used a lot of words and didn't actually say anything. "We're working hard on getting the right things done in the right areas"

As usual, Trevor nails it.

We could go into the numerous reasons that this is a big deal. And why this virus is scarier than influenza, even though influenza is a serious problem.

But I’m waiting for Infoman to tell us why this is a big deal, since he knows.
    Can someone page @Infoman to share with us what he knows? He certainly has disappeared since making his bold claim.

@Infoman's secret claim that he wanted people to acknowledge -- which I assume was that the media/Dems were overselling the threat of COVID-19 to hurt Trump -- was premised upon his mistaken belief that COVID-19's mortality rate was much lower than that of the common flu. When @CoolBrees correctly pointed out that @Infoman was misreading the CDC stat he was relying on, the media/Dem conspiracy was dealt a blow from which it has yet to fully recover.

ETA: To be completely fair, it would not shock me if there was some component of political opportunism with respect to the fervor of coverage, at least in certain instances. But I've read enough about the threat of COVID-19 to give the benefit of the doubt to leaders and media members who think it is a significant concern, at least for now, and as long as the evidence indicates it's a legitimate threat I also think it's fair to closely scrutinize the Trump administration's response to it. A virus for which there is no vaccine, that kills upwards of 2% of people it encounters, that spreads relatively easily, and that incubates without producing serious symptoms, is a big deal.

Last edited:
    If things break down enough, Trump can finally just shoot Mexican immigrants, declare martial law and remain in power indefinitely.

Remember the tinfoil hat theories about 9/11 being an inside job? I never bought any of those because such a conspiracy has too many moving parts and I never believed George Bush would go along with it for a second. I did think Cheney was capable of seeing 3,000 dead as acceptable losses in the effort to awaken America to the threat of global terrorism. "Capable of it" and "actually pulling it off" are two very different things, though.

With Trump, however, there's no need for a conspiracy. All he has to do is be his usual incompetent self and blunder around hamstringing the CDC, blaming Democrats for a freaking virus and giving speeches minimizing the risks just like yesterday.

As to whether he's capable of it? Of course he is, his defining trait is the capacity to throw anyone under the bus for his own gain. A two percent fatality range that'll mostly hit urban (Democrat) areas? I'll bet he's positively giddy.

Man oh man this virus might not kill you but it sure is killing the stock market.

Wall Street has lost just huge amounts and today is not looking any better!

I predict the housing market collapses too. Crappy time to sell a house.

China isn't supplying or demanding jack for a while, of course the market is going to tank.

Picture what it would look like if both California and Texas were canceled for a couple months.

Don't listen to the Deep State Never Trumper "Scientists." Science is a lie. We can only believe Mr. Trump, the strongest and most honest person any of us has ever seen.

Control the narrative, ignore facts and science....all the hallmarks of a dictatorship....color me not surprised....

Man oh man this virus might not kill you but it sure is killing the stock market.

I'll gladly sacrifice my 401K if it means getting trump out of the white house

Maybe since chinese production is down due to this virus, perhaps it shows how much we rely on chinese goods and not enough of our own...

Imagine if there ever was a war where China was our enemy and all imports stopped. We'd be screwed big time...

Maybe since chinese production is down due to this virus, perhaps it shows how much we rely on chinese goods and not enough of our own...

Imagine if there ever was a war where China was our enemy and all imports stopped. We'd be screwed big time...
    Is there anyone who doesn’t know this?
    ‘Buy American ‘ has been a jingo since the 80s
    People just don’t put their wallet where their mouth is
    Plus Chinese manufacturing has been moving to even poorer countries- not sure what would reverse that trend

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom