/* */

All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

Reprehensible and disgusting if true. That is at least manslaughter if true and confirmed that the man had Covid and that is indeed what she died from. I know that’s extreme but damn that’s f’d up.

True. Plus, if I understand the process correctly, if people have been found to have the antibodies, their plasma can be used to treat some hospitalized COVID patients.
    Convalescent plasma has been used for over 100 years on various diseases, but it doesn't always work, and can make the disease worse. It apparently had mixed results against the Spanish Flu of 1918.

There are several ongoing studies of convalescent plasma, so hopefully it'll work on Covid-19.

Last edited:
    Convalescent plasma has been used for over 100 years on various diseases, but it doesn't always work, and can make the disease worse. It apparently had mixed results against the Spanish Flu of 2018.

There are several ongoing studies of convalescent plasma, so hopefully it'll work on Covid-19.

We had a Spanish flu in 2018 too?

Do we know if these are "new" cases of exposure, or previously unknown cases of exposure?
    The article says it's been less than a week of lifting lockdown restrictions.

if anything like here, the week leading up to the day of lifting restrictions, its as if restrictions have been lifted.

Do we know if these are "new" cases of exposure, or previously unknown cases of exposure?
    The article says it's been less than a week of lifting lockdown restrictions.
    Restrictions in Germany were being eased in mid-to-late April by states. Further easements went into effect first of May by the federal government.

Schools and nursery schools began opening at end of April

Reprehensible and disgusting if true. That is at least manslaughter if true and confirmed that the man had Covid and that is indeed what she died from. I know that’s extreme but damn that’s f’d up.

I agree that is disgusting, and should be considered manslaughter. There was a Detroit bus driver that probably got infected by a passenger that coughed several times on his bus without covering their mouth. That's not quite as bad, but a grown woman should know better. That seemed intentional.

Then there is the guy that spit and coughed on the vegetables at a grocery store. I think he was charged for the produce, but what if people didn't see him do it.

This shirt show is getting extremely stupid

That my friends is a death sentence for a ton of people.

I am always amazed by states. Milwaukee and Madison pay every bill for that state but the rest of the red state is going to force an open?

Peer reviewed scientific paper on masks(respirators) from 2016.

States clearly that prolonged use of masks reduce oxygenation and also have deleterious effects.

Here is another paper showing masks can be harmful to pregnant women.

I post these because with the debate about mandating people wear masks at all times becoming the recent topic of debate.
    It seems much of the media has latched on to an ignorant social media post about hypercapnia, which is a form of carbon dioxide poisoning.
    Some reports have even stated(completely contrary to papers above) that wearing surgical masks have no impact on blood cell oxygenation.

Snopes pretty much tries to say there is nothing to worry about and goes contrary to the papers stated above.

Here is a story about somebody passing out while driving... and yes I see a lot of people wearing their masks while driving.

This is one of those things we have to think about before stating that everyone should wear masks.

What's the current over/under on Trump firing Fauci? I'd put it at 3 weeks to a month. Once the divide starts leading to tweets and public comments by Trump, you know its only a matter of time.

States clearly that prolonged use of masks reduce oxygenation and also have deleterious effects.

I post these because with the debate about mandating people wear masks at all times becoming the recent topic of debate.
    It seems much of the media has latched on to an ignorant social media post about hypercapnia, which is a form of carbon dioxide poisoning.
    Some reports have even stated(completely contrary to papers above) that wearing surgical masks have no impact on blood cell oxygenation.

Snopes pretty much tries to say there is nothing to worry about and goes contrary to the papers stated above.

Here is a story about somebody passing out while driving... and yes I see a lot of people wearing their masks while driving.

This is one of those things we have to think about before stating that everyone should wear masks.

Well I would say common sense is a big factor here. While inside your closed car you are distancing and no need to wear until your window goes down or you exit.

And common sense tells you anything that makes it harder to inhale means less goes to your lungs.

To blame a car crash on that is foolish.

Sounds like common sense issue.

What's the current over/under on Trump firing Fauci? I'd put it at 3 weeks to a month. Once the divide starts leading to tweets and public comments by Trump, you know its only a matter of time.

That would be a death sentence for his coming election.

That would be a death sentence for his coming election.

Nah, his base has already turned on Fauci, with the help of the commentators on Fox News and other conservative media. There will be no effect on his re-election chances.

We don't live in that America anymore.

I am all for sparing use of PPE. I'm not wearing a mask as I type this from my recliner, but I do have masks that I can and will utilize when I go out in public. They don't go on my face until I leave my car, though, because I have no need to wear them in private. Nobody does, for the most part.

Limiting the amount of time one spends in public and utilizing PPE only in those public settings is clearly the best way to approach this.

Nah, his base has already turned on Fauci, with the help of the commentators on Fox News. There will be no effect on his re-election chances.

We don't live in that America any more.

Yep. It's only a death sentence for the regular people that get sick because of his callous disregard for human life.

From the impact on pregnant women link:
    "Background: Outbreaks of emerging infectious diseases have led to guidelines recommending the routine use of N95 respirators for healthcare workers, many of whom are women of childbearing age. The respiratory effects of prolonged respirator use on pregnant women are unclear although there has been no definite evidence of harm from past use. "
    "Conclusion: Breathing through N95 mask materials have been shown to impede gaseous exchange and impose an additional workload on the metabolic system of pregnant healthcare workers, and this needs to be taken into consideration in guidelines for respirator use. The benefits of using N95 mask to prevent serious emerging infectious diseases should be weighed against potential respiratory consequences associated with extended N95 respirator usage."

The key is weighing the benefit of extended use. How is extended defined? The article doesn't define it. It does say it imposes an extra load on the metabolic system. That is obvious. The benefit is also obvious. It prevents the worker from getting sick with a deadly disease, which could be deadly for the fetus, and prevents them from spreading it, if they happen to be asymptomatic. That goes to common sense. Same goes for wearing such a mask when it isn't necessary.

Besides, no one has recommended that everyone wear N95 masks. The masks that medical experts want people to wear are simple masks, like surgical masks, and it is PRIMARILY to reduce the odds of people shedding viruses to other people. I doubt those types of masks cause any measurable deleterious effects to the metabolic system. I wear them whenever I go out to public places, and I don't feel any effects, other than it is a bit of a nuisance. I'm willing to put up with the nuisance just in case I may be shedding.

This is how myths get created. The headline states the driver *may* have passed out because of the mask, and the story even clarifies that it is a theory as to why the driver passed out (or fell asleep?) but it is unknown, and several people commented on the post where the theory was made that the idea is possible but unlikely (given that other people wear the masks for hours on end without passing out) but the summary you posted insinuates it as fact.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom