All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

It's not "only" killing old and sick people. we just didn't realize it yet.

Then several of my middle aged friends that have had it and survived are finding out they have life changing permanent damage.

Open back up and go for herd immunity is ignorant AF.

I do agree we need to get the economy moving again but we need slow, tiered, systems (Like Trump's task force recommended to the states.) Wear masks, socially distance and keep the numbers down we can get businesses going again. But this stupidarse "mah freedoms" to not wear masks in public and go to whatever businesses I want to whenever I want to is going to get us a second wave.

The second wave of the spanish flu killed 500% more people than the first wave.

Learn from history, listen to the experts, and quit sharing crazy conspiracy videos on youtubes.

Just because somebody wants to open things up is not akin to them wanting to lick doorknobs.

Of course not....but, apparently saying that we shouldn't be opening everything yet is akin to saying that we should keep everyone locked up until we have a proven vaccine, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Just because somebody wants to open things up is not akin to them wanting to lick doorknobs.

That's like me saying you want to stay shuttered in your home for 6 months and have the government give you $4000 a month.. oh wait.

We can open things up and be responsible.
    I am self employed. I have worked all but the first two weeks of this shut down. Out in New Orleans not hiding. Yes washing like mad and always covering my face and wearing safety glasses.

Did not file for a red cent from your uncle. Figured it should go to others people with more mouths to feed and bills than me.

One thing is clear, the numbers you are getting are inflated and not to be trusted.

The CDC is full of it when it comes to stats so if they are the experts, then they are expert at BS.
    Donald was saying 40k dead now we blow thru 80k well before the August first date. The entire adminstration has been exposed by their relaxed ways. This is the most tested group of people in the nation no less.

I don't even know a person that has received a test. I know plenty of people who wanted one that did not get one.

But by all means if you buy that Bs they are selling go on and intentionally risk fate.

Ok so we have 8 billion on the planet and 14k volunteer.

What is the math on that? Well it certainly is not many. But if it pays better than working in meat packing plants they just might have way more volunteers. Heck those plants have crazy percentage of positive testing and it looks likely that working in one long enough you will get it.

Great read.

About the national curve and how it changes when you take out the cities with major outbreaks. Shows it is not flat at all without the New Orleans, New York, and others.

Even other states like Texas Houston has flat to it's curve but take them out the rest of the state is in sad shape.

This ride is gonna get real tough.

On a previous post on this thread, I linked an article in response to a claim on the number of flu deaths. The article quotes CDC estimates for the 2017-2018 flu season as ~80,000 deaths.

I was then corrected with this post, in which the CDC's revised numbers show 15,000 deaths.

That is quite the variance.

Every year the CDC has quite a variety of different death tolls. That is because some years the flu is not terrible. Like for instance 2011 a weak flu year. Only 11k in deaths.

The thing you can't loose in all this is it takes years to get the data right.

This from the CDC link I am posting.

* Estimates from the 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 seasons are preliminary and may change as data are finalized.

So yes still working on numbers.

So let's take data from the CDC directly from now on not just what someone posts here. I posted the link let's use it.

On a previous post on this thread, I linked an article in response to a claim on the number of flu deaths. The article quotes CDC estimates for the 2017-2018 flu season as ~80,000 deaths.

I was then corrected with this post, in which the CDC's revised numbers show 15,000 deaths.

Assumed vs. Confirmed - not BS

You will find the same is the case with Covid-19. A lot of elderly people who died at home have not been tested for Covid-19 due to the limitations on the number of tests. (saving the tests for the living) Follow up testing of samples taken before burial in Europe, has shown that many of those did actually die from Covid-19 and as mentioned above, there will always be some changes in numbers once the critical phase is over and they have a chance to evaluate all the available information.

With Covid you have 2 sets of unknown data. Those who perished without being tested and those who had a mild case of Covid without seeking medical help. Especially the elderly who live alone will be less likely to seek help. I know - my father-in-law had a heart attack and waited almost 36 hours before calling for help because "it will be better tomorrow"

15,000 isn't the revised number, I never said that. I said that was the confirmed number and that the CDC applies an algorithm to determine the total number. The CDC still says that roughly 80,000 people died that year.

The point is if you are comparing the flu to COVID-19, you need to compare the 79,000 confirmed Covid-19 death to the 15,000 confirmed flu deaths. If you want to use the 80,000 flu death numbers, you need to then apply a multiplier to the 79,000 Covid deaths.

The reason is not everyone is tested for the flu (or Covid before they die), so the CDC makes an estimate of how many people died from the flu before they've been tested. They are NOT doing that with COVID-19 yet. They are only counting people with COVID-19 listed on the death certificate.

It's weird that you are still stating this after I clarified this for you.

According to whom and what evidence do you have of such?

There Is Nothing from the CDC I Can Trust!” – Dr. Birx Tells Off CDC Director, Claims COVID-19 Mortality Rate Inflated By as Much as 25%!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom