All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

Open everything back up. Put people back to work. It's simple and if you are scared of that then stay home.

Is there any situation where you’d support shutting back down after we open up?

Is there a number for the infection or death rate that you’d be willing to sacrifice the economy for lives?

Is there a number for the infection or death rate that you’d be willing to sacrifice the economy for lives?

10% mortality? We aren't close to that. Keep nursing homes on lock down. Aren't the majority of deaths from those places? I quit keeping up with it. Most of these lock downs have nothing to do with safety. It's about federal aid.

The stated purpose for the shutdown was to ensure that our medical system was not overwhelmed.

I think that's the proper benchmark. Other than that, we need to open the economy, protect our elderly and vulnerable population, take reasonable precautions and let the damn virus run its course.

The longer we play the hide from the virus game the longer we stretch this thing out and the more lives we end up losing and/or ruining.

We have to be adults here and realize that stretching this out until the threat is gone is not sustainable.

/thread.

10% mortality? We aren't close to that. Keep nursing homes on lock down. Aren't the majority of deaths from those places? I quit keeping up with it. Most of these lock downs have nothing to do with safety. It's about federal aid.

10% of what? Total infections? Total population?

Would a 1% mortality and 80% infected by the end of the year be acceptable?

The states opening up early already receive the most net federal aid.

10% of what? Total infections? Total population?

Would a 1% mortality and 80% infected by the end of the year be acceptable?

The states opening up early already receive the most net federal aid.
    Is acceptable shutting down until we have a vaccine? I think that would be dumb.

Shut down the subway in NYC for a month and watch the numbers plummet.

Is acceptable shutting down until we have a vaccine? I think that would be dumb.

Five of the top 10 counties by mortality rate are in southwest Georgia. It’s not just a NYC problem. Nebraska now has more cases per capita than 38 other states and is poised to pass Pennsylvania and Michigan in the next few days, with Indiana, Iowa, and South Dakota hot on its heels.

Again, the idea that this is just a NYC problem is dangerous fiction.

I noticed that you did not answer the actual question. You said 10%. Are you saying that you are comfortable with a maximum of 10% death rate from those that contract the virus or 10% of the population?

We are going to be shut down longer than we would have been if places had not opened up early.

It isn’t something that is in question. We will be shut down again nationwide in a month and it will be 10x worse than the last time.

It's not, we could open everything back up and go 100% herd immunity.

We didn't shut down until March. No telling when this started so it wasn't until we shut down that this problem started
    You see the lack of testing is the problem. Without testing we still really don't know a thing about where it moving until well after the fact well after it has spread thru the workplace into the community. It is even spreading thru Trump's administration.

The confidence will come from a few things testing and tracking, or a vaccine. Without confidence the economy is really not gonna reopen. People won't go out and do stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
    The confidence will come from a few things testing and tracking, or a vaccine. Without confidence the economy is really not gonna reopen. People won't go out and do stuff.
    Reopen everything and you'll see people going to bars, movie theaters, restraunts etc. If you scared you can always stay home.

It's not, we could open everything back up and go 100% herd immunity.

What do you know? You've solved two problems with one action. We kick start the economy and get rid of a lot of those pesky old Social Security recipients. :hihi: I have little doubt that you might feel a bit differently if this were happening in 25 years.

I am not scared but I also am not stupid enough to kill the elderly so I can drink in a crowd or see a marvel movie.

I see you are. This big Dems hoax has you all scared to prove us all wrong.

Just because somebody wants to open things up is not akin to them wanting to lick doorknobs.

That's like me saying you want to stay shuttered in your home for 6 months and have the government give you $4000 a month.. oh wait.

We can open things up and be responsible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom