All Things LGBTQ+ (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    Didn't really see a place for this so I thought I would start a thread about all things LGBTQ since this is a pretty hot topic in our culture right now

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/17/sup...y-that-refuses-to-work-with-lgbt-couples.html

• The Supreme Court on Thursday delivered a unanimous defeat to LGBT couples in a high-profile case over whether Philadelphia could refuse to contract with a Roman Catholic adoption agency that says its religious beliefs prevent it from working with same-sex foster parents.
    • Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in an opinion for a majority of the court that Philadelphia violated the First Amendment by refusing to contract with Catholic Social Services once it learned that the organization would not certify same-sex couples for adoption.

I will admit, I was hopeful for this decision by the SCOTUS but I was surprised by the unanimous decision.

While I don't think there is anything wrong, per se, with same sex couples adopting and raising children (I actually think it is a good thing as it not an abortion) but I also did not want to see the state force a religious institution to bend to a societal norm.

What about Reka Gyorgy? She had her 5 years so fork her right?

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/mar/20/virginia-tech-swimmer-reka-gyorgy-bumped-finals-ch/

“I’m a 5th year senior, I have been top 16 and top 8 before and I know how much of a privilege it is to make finals at a meet this big,” Gyorgy said. “This is my last college meet ever and I feel frustrated. It feels like that final spot was taken away from me because of the NCAA’s decision to let someone who is not a biological female compete.”
    Would you feel the same way had Reka Gyorgy finished one place out of being invited to a cisgender female? Or would you not even know her name?

Funny, conservatives decry "participation trophies" yet here you all are griping because someone didn't get a participation trophy of being invited to the *consolation* final because she finished 17th in preliminary times.

If this actually matters, then you don't actually give a shirt about other people.
    Well, it does matter. And it matters to any person on this planet. People respond better when asked and not demanded to do something, especially if what is asked is absurd. That is just human nature.

Would you feel the same way had Reka Gyorgy finished one place out of being invited to a cisgender female? Or would you not even know her name?

Funny, conservatives decry "participation trophies" yet here you all are griping because someone didn't get a participation trophy of being invited to the *consolation* final because she finished 17th in preliminary times.
    16th female, 17th person, big difference.

I wouldn't know her name because I could care less about swimming, unless I am trying to not drown.

Funny how alt-left wonders why conservatives care about things they did not care about before, as they snake into those areas. We care, because you care enough to force your religion into places where it does not belong.

17th female.

:hihi:
    16th female, 17th person, big difference.

I wouldn't know her name because I could care less about swimming, unless I am trying to not drown.

Funny how alt-left wonders why conservatives care about things they did not care about before, as they snake into those areas. We care, because you care enough to force your religion into places where it does not belong.

"Funny how alt-left wonders why conservatives care about things they did not care about before, as they snake into those areas. We care, because you care enough to force your religion into places where it does not belong."
    Funny how conservatives think humans rights is a religion.

Florida has a history of this I wasn't aware of
    ===============================

Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-Fla.) is expected to sign into law a new mandate passed by the state legislature — largely on partisan lines — titled the “Parental Rights in Education” bill.

Its opponents have rebranded it the “Don’t Say Gay” bill, as it bans teachers, staff and others from discussing sexual orientation and gender identity in kindergarten through third grade — grade levels where no discussion of sexual education is mandated — or in any classroom or with any age group where it may be deemed “not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards.”

The bill was among the laws that DeSantis and the Republican-controlled legislature passed in a culture war-dominated legislative session that also included a 15-week abortion ban and the “Stop W.O.K.E. Act.”

The latter seeks to poke fun of calls for Black liberation, dismissed as efforts made by a “woke” crowd, while also purporting to be an acronym for the “Stop the Wrongs to Our Kids and Employees Act.” It limits education and training on race and identity at public schools and private businesses. DeSantis even called 2022 “the year of the parent” in Florida.

These efforts form the latest chapter in Florida’s long history of antigay policy and a political culture that has cloaked forms of homophobia, transphobia, sexism and anti-Blackness as efforts to protect the rights of parents and the well-being of their children...........

Yet, after unsuccessful attempts to uncover such subversion, the committee turned its attention more fully to another scapegoat it believed threatened the safety of Florida’s children: LGBTQ people.

Taxpayer dollars paid for investigations of suspected LGBTQ professors and students throughout the state university system, purging dozens of women and men from the University of Florida, Florida State University and the then-nascent University of South Florida.

In 1964, the committee notoriously published what became known as the “Purple Pamphlet,” officially titled “Homosexuality and Citizenship in Florida,” that aimed to provide information that parents could use “to prepare” children "to meet the temptations of homosexuality lurking today in the vicinity of nearly every institution of learning.”

This anti-LGBTQ policy trickled down to local school boards and lower levels of education in myriad ways. Rumors could be enough to spawn an investigation or ruin a career. In 1962, two English teachers at a junior high school in Jacksonville were accused of being “involved in a homosexual relationship.”

Schoolchildren had reportedly complained about the teachers’ “association” with one another as well as one of the women’s “unladylike posture.” Another investigation began when a committee informant claimed to have overheard a man loudly “accuse” his own sister, who taught at a Fort Lauderdale elementary school, “of being a homosexual.”

Following years of largely embarrassing stunts and failures, the Johns Committee disbanded in 1965 — but it succeeded in entrenching a pervasive narrative about children being susceptible to the “corrupting” influences of LGBTQ people in Florida’s political culture........

Yet, Bryant painted something far more sinister. She spearheaded a campaign to overturn the ordinance arguing that it granted special privileges to a group of immoral people who might then corrupt, recruit or hurt children. This campaign — “Save Our Children, Inc.” — seemed especially concerned with how the law would play out in schools.

Rather than seeing the bill as extending civil rights protections to another marginalized group, Bryant turned the argument on its head and claimed the ordinance infringed on her civil rights as a concerned mother who would get no say in who taught her children if LGBTQ people were protected from employment discrimination........

Interesting thread about this incredibly stupid bill. Notice that the bill doesn’t prohibit discussions about human sexuality and/or sex acts. Just the discussion of the existence of the LGBTQ community.

That makes zero sense. I mean, she normally makes no sense, but this is even more stupid than usual.

And the hits just keep on coming
    ========================

Georgia Republican Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene was one of the warm-up acts for former President Donald Trump during a campaign rally in her state over the weekend.

Which leads me to this line from the Georgia congresswoman:

"We're gonna drill oil right here in the USA. And you know what, Pete Buttigieg can take his electric vehicles and his bicycles, and he and his husband can stay out of our girls' bathrooms."

Which, wow. That's a lot..........

Women's rights or trans rights? One is infringing on the other.
    That’s your side’s narrative, not the truth. Your side is trying to divide Americans at every turn over everything. There are ways to accomplish sports that provide for the inclusion of everyone. You don’t want that. You want division and blame and finger pointing. What I don’t know is why.

That’s your side’s narrative, not the truth. Your side is trying to divide Americans at every turn over everything. There are ways to accomplish sports that provide for the inclusion of everyone. You don’t want that. You want division and blame and finger pointing. What I don’t know is why.
    Why not have trans league? No problem with that. Just not a fan of a man beating the brakes off of women in the name of 'inclusion'.

Interesting thread about this incredibly stupid bill. Notice that the bill doesn’t prohibit discussions about human sexuality and/or sex acts. Just the discussion of the existence of the LGBTQ community.

Still waiting to see where it bans the word 'gay'.

https://dailycaller.com/2022/03/29/texas-teacher-fourth-grade-students-lgbt-pride-week/

“I feel that it is inappropriate to call our parade this morning a ‘Wellness Walk’ at all. While I understand that Wellness Walk is something that was previously in motion to promote health and fitness and is something we want to continue, it really takes away from the experience of celebrating Pride to couple the two,” the teacher said.

“The first Pride was a riot. It was not enough to just ‘welcome,’ ‘love,’ and ‘celebrate’ Queer folx,” she continued. “Your allyship should always lead you to activism – speaking up and fighting for what is right, even when it feels uncomfortable. We can’t choose in and out of our protest spaces.”

The teacher went on to say that of the 32 students that she teaches,
    “20 of them are LGBTQIA+ and have come out to me.”

“I feel that we need to do better – for them,” the teacher said. “To affirm our students, I think it would only be appropriate and right to publicly announce [that] what we had this morning was a PRIDE Parade.”

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom