2024 GOP Presidential Race (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Many of Trump's endorsed candidates did not do well on Nov. 8th.
    Gov. Ron DeSantis DID do well.
    He won convincingly.
    Yet in this OP's opinion, Donald Trump is an egomaniac who is seemingly incapable of putting "Party over Self"
    Trump has ZERO chance of being elected our next president.
    In my opinion, if Trump would just shut up and go away (fat chance of that)...but "if" Trump did that, Gov. Ron DeSantis would have a CHANCE to be a formidable candidate for President in 2024.
    Here is an interesting article on this topic...
    What do any of you think re. Trump vs DeSantis?

What reason could there be for this? Is this another personal grudge against someone? It seems pretty specific, why lawyers and not any other profession?

Upon reading - the bill does a lot of things as well as that sort of crazy ban. For one - it prohibits the use in FL of a drivers license issued by any state to an undocumented person. How will that be enforced?

As well as requiring ERs to keep track of medical care for undocumented people. So now you want ERs to have to investigate a person‘s immigration status?

One article I read pointed out that right now immigration enforcement in FL is very lop-sided. 4 countries send the most undocumented people to FL - Cuba, Haiti (?), Venezuela and Ukraine. But 80-90% of people detained were from the first 2, with no detentions of Ukrainian people. Huh.

They don’t think about the consequences of these laws:

This is not to be taken as Steve pushing his candidate.
    I've backed off being his supporter.
    I'm just posting this because it relates to this thread...

This is not to be taken as Steve pushing his candidate.
    I've backed off being his supporter.
    I'm just posting this because it relates to this thread...
    I came back to quote myself because I want to share one of the comments someone left on Yahoo's comment section.
    The comment was basically:
    "DeSantis has put all his energy into trying to appeal to and win over the MAGAs....and now he has alienated the moderates and the independents.
    He's Toast."
    That sounds very similar to what @MT15 said about 3 months ago.

I found yet more articles relevant to this thread....

Last edited:
    All scared of the MAGA base
    =====================
    Ron DeSantis expressed concerns about how not to “piss off” supporters of President Donald Trump in a leaked video from when he was a candidate for Florida governor in 2018.

In the footage obtained by ABC News, Republican Representative Matt Gaetz asked Mr DeSantis, then a congressman, in a debate preparation: “Is there any issue upon which you disagree with President Trump?”

In response, Mr DeSantis sighed and said: “I have to figure out how to do this.”

“Obviously there is because, I mean, I voted contrary to him in the Congress,” he said.

“I have to frame it in a way that's not going to piss off all his voters.”……

Senate Republicans are weighing Trump's viability...

I doubt it. Once the campaigning starts, they'll all double down with Trump just like they are told to do..
    Some will, some wont. Drip drip drip.

This news got to one Republican I know whom I didn't think it would. Yet was news totally ignored by other Republicans I know.

:)

I would describe it as erosion. Or rust which slowly eats away at what once was something.

CNN is giving Trump a Town Hall tonight - it's not a campaign event, it's nothing more than CNN gifting the man a prime time slot to talk his bullshirt. The man who literally tried to start a coup, is under indictment in New York, under multiple federal investigations, and who was just found by a jury in New York to have sexually assaulted and defamed a woman in New York City . . . gets a nice little town hall. And it will be with a live audience of 400 Republicans.

CNN is giving Trump a Town Hall tonight - it's not a campaign event, it's nothing more than CNN gifting the man a prime time slot to talk his bullshirt. The man who literally tried to start a coup, is under indictment in New York, under multiple federal investigations, and who was just found by a jury in New York to have sexually assaulted and defamed a woman in New York City . . . gets a nice little town hall. And it will be with a live audience of 400 Republicans.

I'm going to laugh if the ratings for this shirtshow start off in the toilet and go down from there.

……In other words, it will be a weird election in every way. Yet, despite staring at a growing, violent, nativist, fascist-like movement that doggedly supports Trump, the mainstream American news media seems poised to treat both candidates as if they are viable, reasonable representatives of the traditions their political parties have grown to symbolize.

It’s as if they have learned nothing.

CNN, the leading 24-hour news network, will host Trump for a “town hall” forum in New Hampshire on Wednesday, as if he were a regular candidate leading the race for the nomination of a regular party.

The CNN forum comes just one day after Trump was found liable for $5 million in damages for sexually assaulting and defaming journalist E. Jean Carroll.

Of course, CNN will probably do the same for the three or four others who are likely to challenge him for the Republican nomination (so far, the former UN ambassador Nikki Haley and former Arkansas governor Asa Hutchinson are the only viable non-crank candidates).

A few more might jump in, but the more challenges Trump faces, the more likely he will lock up the nomination on the first primary day, rather than a month later.

Putting a microphone and three cameras on Trump as if he were just another candidate and not an instigator of the violent disruption of American democracy and leader of a conspiracy to overthrow the results of a national election is the height of journalistic irresponsibility.

The conservative columnist Alyssa Farah Griffin defended CNN by saying that the host, Kaitlan Collins, is “tough” and won’t let Trump “get away with lying without being called out”.

That’s exactly the problem. CNN is in the business of performing toughness and balance, not primarily producing journalism that serves to enlighten citizens and enhance democracy.

CNN seems to exist to create tweetable moments of anchor “toughness”, through which the celebrities who appear on air make events and interviews all about them.

The CNN faces are tough enough to stand in the wind and rain of a hurricane, and tough enough to call out a politician – even a bully like Trump – for lying. But that’s easy and shallow. Ultimately, it hurts democracy……

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom