2024 GOP Presidential Race (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Many of Trump's endorsed candidates did not do well on Nov. 8th.
    Gov. Ron DeSantis DID do well.
    He won convincingly.
    Yet in this OP's opinion, Donald Trump is an egomaniac who is seemingly incapable of putting "Party over Self"
    Trump has ZERO chance of being elected our next president.
    In my opinion, if Trump would just shut up and go away (fat chance of that)...but "if" Trump did that, Gov. Ron DeSantis would have a CHANCE to be a formidable candidate for President in 2024.
    Here is an interesting article on this topic...
    What do any of you think re. Trump vs DeSantis?

I think the best take is that she’s hoping to emerge as a reasonable candidate when DeSantis shows he’s not ready for prime time and the only other choice would be Trump . . . and if that doesn’t pan out, she’s well placed to be a VP choice for either.

No evidence to present counselor but I'm pretty much convinced Haley running is a ruse to help firmly put Trump in the drivers seat for the nomination....if the Trump campaign is dumb enough not to unleash the typical stupid full blown attack/insult barrage I think that would be a clue....or not....

I've noticed a big uptick in
    It's comical Haley thinks she has a shot in the current Republican party 😂
    She will play up the fact that she is of Indian heritage.
    An American success story.
    It seems she feels that will make a difference.
    This is my attempt to share her point of view based on video clips I've heard from the past year.

Haley will do about as well as Bobby Jindal. Remember him? He spent his 8 years as governor burnishing his conservative bona fides (while running Louisiana further into the ground), all so he could run for President for 6 whole months and poll at 1% before dropping out of the race months before the first primary.

Haley will do about as well as Bobby Jindal. Remember him? He spent his 8 years as governor burnishing his conservative bona fides (while running Louisiana further into the ground), all so he could run for President for 6 whole months and poll at 1% before dropping out of the race months before the first primary.
    Compared to Bobby Jindal, she has slightly more name recognition and additionally she has experience at the United Nations.
    Yet other than that, I agree with you.
    She has no chance to be President but the ultimate GOP nominee MIGHT select her as a running mate.
    Surely that is in the back of her mind.

............Trump's former national security adviser John Bolton suggested on Meet the Press that Haley is "really running for vice president" ahead of her anticipated 2024 campaign announcement.

"I think Nikki is really running for Vice President," Bolton said. "That's my sense. I think she has a problem because she first said she wouldn't run if President Trump ran and her justification for changing was that a lot of things have changed, which I don't think is very convincing. I think people know where I stand on Trump."

Other Trump-aligned figures, like Fox News' Tucker Carlson, have also weighed in on her record on immigration, race and crime.

Carlson earlier this month said on his show: "It wasn't that long ago that Nikki Haley explained immigrants are more patriotic than you are. She also endorsed the BLM riots. She said George Floyd's death needs to be painful for everyone."

He even invited Haley's former aide, Justin Evans, who predicted that Haley would drop out before the first caucus is held.

"She just walks away when times get tough. She's never finished a job," Evans said, referencing Haley's exits as governor and UN ambassador.

Another Republican Stuart Stevens, a former political consultant, wrote an opinion piece for the New York Times, claiming that Haley threw away all the "unlimited potential" she had as the first woman governor of South Carolina, the first Indian American ever elected to statewide office there and the youngest governor in the country.

"I look at Ms. Haley now, as she prepares to launch her own presidential campaign, with sadness tinged with regret for what could have been," Stevens wrote. "But I'm not a bit surprised. Her rise and fall only highlights what many of us already knew: Mr. Trump didn't change the Republican Party; he revealed it. Ms. Haley, for all her talents, embodies the moral failure of the party in its drive to win at any cost, a drive so ruthless and insistent that it has transformed the G.O.P. into an autocratic movement. It's not that she has changed positions to suit the political moment or even that she has abandoned beliefs she once claimed to be deeply held. It's that the 2023 version of Ms. Haley is actively working against the core values that the 2016 Ms. Haley would have held to be the very foundation of her public life."..............

Florida could stop offering courses and SAT tests from the College Board thanks to its feud over a new AP African-American Studies course, Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) suggested Monday —a move that could impact hundreds of thousands of Florida students.

DeSantis said Monday he was talking to the state legislature about “reevaluat[ing]” the state’s relationship with the College Board—which offers advanced placement courses and the SAT—and suggested “there are probably some other vendors able to do their job as good and maybe a lot better.”

The College Board is the sole provider of AP curriculums and tests—college-level courses taken in high school with standardized tests that can be used to obtain college credit—and Florida state funding is used to subsidize exam fees and pay bonuses to teachers whose students pass the tests.

AP classes are extremely prevalent in Florida: 366,150 AP exams were taken there in 2021, according to the College Board, behind only Texas and California, and the state’s Department of Education previously boasted that 34.2% of the graduating class of 2020 in Florida not only took an AP exam in high school, but scored at least a three out of five.

By comparison, just over 80 high schools offer the comparable International Baccalaureate program, out of more than 1,000 high schools in the state, meaning many students may be left without options for higher level courses and the chance to earn college credit if AP classes are taken away—or receive credit, if Florida public colleges were to stop accepting the exams.

The College Board also runs the SAT and PSAT, which 734,411 Florida students took in the 2021-2022 school year, and 87% of all Florida high school graduates in the class of 2022 took the SAT.

Only 46% of 2022 graduates took the ACT, the SAT’s main competitor, though foregoing the SAT could have a smaller impact for students, as more than 80% of four-year colleges—including Ivy League schools—have recently made standardized testing optional for admissions.

Prior to his more recent attacks on the College Board, DeSantis himself touted the state’s record with AP exams during his 2021 state of the union address. “Just last week, the College Board released data showing that Florida ranks number two in the nation in the percentage of graduating seniors who have passed Advanced Placement exams,” the governor said as an example of Florida’s “great strides” in education..........

Compared to Bobby Jindal, she has slightly more name recognition and additionally she has experience at the United Nations.
    Yet other than that, I agree with you.
    She has no chance to be President but the ultimate GOP nominee MIGHT select her as a running mate.
    Surely that is in the back of her mind.
    Haley said today: "I've never lost an election and I'm not gonna start now!"
    :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:
    I wonder if she has convinced herself of that or she is just trying to GOP voters of that? :unsure:

I've noticed a big uptick in

She will play up the fact that she is of Indian heritage.
    An American success story.
    It seems she feels that will make a difference.
    This is my attempt to share her point of view based on video clips I've heard from the past year.

What are your thoughts on what DeSantis is doing in Florida right now? I know you've been taking a wait-and-see approach. What do you think of what you're seeing?

Interesting: I think Joe has a point here:

Come on @MT15 :rolleyes:
    ?Did you digest the meaning of this excerpt you are agreeing with:
    "Every Republican right now who supports DeSantis is a big Trump supporter who...."
    It does not matter to me what comes after the word "who"
    We all know that I am a passionate Trump basher.
    I am Passionate in my distaste for Donald Trump!
    ........yet, I am a DeSantis supporter.
    So the word "every" in that quote is not even valid on this forum let alone across this great country of ours.
    That quote is a good read for liberals and it would go unchallenged on MSNBC or CNBC....but it is a generalization not a reality.

"Every Republican right now who supports DeSantis is a big Trump supporter who...."
    So the word "every" in that quote is not even valid on this forum let alone across this great country of ours.
    That quote is a good read for liberals and it would go unchallenged on MSNBC or CNBC....but it is a generalization not a reality.
    Now this is a chance for the people on this forum to show me that any of you have a sense of fairness.
    I AM correct when I say that I hate Trump and I (so far) like DeSantis, and someone should display some good personal character and say so.
    Let's see....

So, if you are a big DeSantis supporter, and hate Trump, please explain how they differ. What policies does DeSantis hold that Trump eschews? I would maintain this is a difference without a distinction. DeSantis is basically Trump just not quite so obviously crazy, IMO.

BTW, Joe Walsh is no democrat and he’s hardly a liberal in any way.

So, if you are a big DeSantis supporter, and hate Trump, please explain how they differ. What policies does DeSantis hold that Trump eschews? I would maintain this is a difference without a distinction. DeSantis is basically Trump just not quite so obviously crazy, IMO.

BTW, Joe Walsh is no democrat and he’s hardly a liberal in any way.
    You are side stepping my statement.
    True or false I hate Trump?
    True or false (at least for now) I support DeSantis.
    True or False?

Donald Trump has a new issue at the centre of his third bid for the White House: killing drug dealers, according to Rolling Stone.

A new piece on the inner deliberations of Trumpworld from Rolling Stone reveals that Donald Trump is making the death penalty — specifically, expanding its use in America — a centre point of his flagging 2024 campaign.

According to several sources close to the former president who spoke with the magazine, Mr Trump is putting energy behind the idea of widely expanding the death penalty to make drug offences eligible for capital punishment.

There’s little reason to think that such a plan would actually go anywhere. The Constitution prohibits the use of cruel and/or unusual punishments, and it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to make a legal justification to expand use of the most severe punishment in the US justice system to nonviolent offences.

The former president is said by aides to also be discussing the possibility of launching a political effort to reintroduce firing squads to the US justice system, apparently due to their flashy nature.

And that’s not all — Mr Trump has even floated the prospect of group executions with his closest advisers, while he rants about how drug dealers supposedly be “eradicated”.

“In conversations I’d been in the room for, President Trump would explicitly say that he’d love a country that was totally an ‘eye for an eye’ — that’s a direct quote — criminal justice system, and he’d talk about how the ‘right’ way to do it is to line up criminals and drug dealers before a firing squad,” a former White House official told Rolling Stone…….

You are side stepping my statement.
    True or false I hate Trump?
    True or false (at least for now) I support DeSantis.
    True or False?
    I’m not sidestepping anything, I’m trying to show you the actual nuanced meaning in his tweet. There isn’t any difference between Trump and DeSantis. If you like what DeSantis is doing, you liked what Trump did. There’s no difference in any meaningful, ideological way.

Donald Trump has a new issue at the centre of his third bid for the White House: killing drug dealers, according to Rolling Stone.

A new piece on the inner deliberations of Trumpworld from Rolling Stone reveals that Donald Trump is making the death penalty — specifically, expanding its use in America — a centre point of his flagging 2024 campaign.

According to several sources close to the former president who spoke with the magazine, Mr Trump is putting energy behind the idea of widely expanding the death penalty to make drug offences eligible for capital punishment.

There’s little reason to think that such a plan would actually go anywhere. The Constitution prohibits the use of cruel and/or unusual punishments, and it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to make a legal justification to expand use of the most severe punishment in the US justice system to nonviolent offences.

The former president is said by aides to also be discussing the possibility of launching a political effort to reintroduce firing squads to the US justice system, apparently due to their flashy nature.

And that’s not all — Mr Trump has even floated the prospect of group executions with his closest advisers, while he rants about how drug dealers supposedly be “eradicated”.

“In conversations I’d been in the room for, President Trump would explicitly say that he’d love a country that was totally an ‘eye for an eye’ — that’s a direct quote — criminal justice system, and he’d talk about how the ‘right’ way to do it is to line up criminals and drug dealers before a firing squad,” a former White House official told Rolling Stone…….

That is very on brand for Trump. It also increases profits for gun manufacturers and pushes the country further down the road it's already travailing with the easy availability and wide spread use of guns. In other words, Americans are already voting for this outcome, why not campaign on it?

Would doctors, and pharmaceutical company Sales reps, executives and scientists be subject to the death penalty for their Involvement in products that kill people, like opioids? This is a little like crack vs cocaine dealers.

I’m not sidestepping anything, I’m trying to show you the actual nuanced meaning in his tweet. There isn’t any difference between Trump and DeSantis. If you like what DeSantis is doing, you liked what Trump did. There’s no difference in any meaningful, ideological way.
    That's how you feel.
    I disagree.....but...
    Whatever. It's not important. I'm going outside for 5th grade recess. It's a beautiful day here in NJ.
    Have a nice day.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom