2024 GOP Presidential Race (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Many of Trump's endorsed candidates did not do well on Nov. 8th.
    Gov. Ron DeSantis DID do well.
    He won convincingly.
    Yet in this OP's opinion, Donald Trump is an egomaniac who is seemingly incapable of putting "Party over Self"
    Trump has ZERO chance of being elected our next president.
    In my opinion, if Trump would just shut up and go away (fat chance of that)...but "if" Trump did that, Gov. Ron DeSantis would have a CHANCE to be a formidable candidate for President in 2024.
    Here is an interesting article on this topic...
    What do any of you think re. Trump vs DeSantis?

The failed campaign and expansive political operation aiming to make Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis the Republican nominee for the White House cost $168 million, according to filings reported to the Federal Election Commission late Wednesday.

The pro-DeSantis super PAC Never Back Down reported payments of more than $130.6 million in 2023 while a newer super PAC Fight Right reported $9.6 million between mid November and December. His own campaign spent $28.3 million from May to December.

DeSantis relied on support from outside groups more than any other major candidate since a U.S. Supreme Court 2010 ruling paved the way for super PACs. These political action committees can raise unlimited amounts of money from donors, including corporations, to advocate for and against candidates, but federal law prohibits candidates and their formal campaigns from coordinating directly with super PACs.…….

South Carolina GOP primary today - Trump is expedited to win by a significant margin but analysts continue to point out that he’s running as an effective incumbent and not winning compellingly large percentages.

I voted today for Haley only because I’ll vote against Trump in any chance I can get. I count seven other people I know that voted today all voted for Haley. I’m curious to see the final numbers.

As the OP of this thread I feel it would be appropriate to share this online article:
    The title makes it seem like there will be lots of criticism of Haley.
    I found it to be a balanced article that pointed out the when she was the SC Governor, she ordered the Confederate Flags to be taken down at all state government locations because it was divisive and additionally hurtful to many. That was not politically popular and thus took some courage on her part.

As the OP of this thread I feel it would be appropriate to share this online article:
    The title makes it seem like there will be lots of criticism of Haley.
    I found it to be a balanced article that pointed out the when she was the SC Governor, she ordered the Confederate Flags to be taken down at all state government locations because it was divisive and additionally hurtful to many. That was not politically popular and thus took some courage on her part.

Yes - and there’s some credit there but but she did that only after a white supremacist state resident went into a black church and killed nine African Americans in some hope to score points in some race war he believed America is in. In the aftermath of that horror, national attention was again drawn to racism in the Deep South and how the confederate flag continues to be quasi-official in places like South Carolina.

She didn’t just decide to do it because it was the right thing to do without that deeply shameful context. It wasn’t something that she had ever mentioned before the shooting.

Yes - and there’s some credit there but but she did that only after a white supremacist state resident went into a black church and killed nine African Americans in some hope to score points in some race war he believed America is in. In the aftermath of that horror, national attention was again drawn to racism in the Deep South and how the confederate flag continues to be quasi-official in places like South Carolina.

She didn’t just decide to do it because it was the right thing to do without that deeply shameful context. It wasn’t something that she had ever mentioned before the shooting.

Context is important, and often absent by some.....

55% to 44% as of now (almost 8 PM). That’s not overwhelming for someone like Trump.

Trump wins South Carolina and uh.. yeah, that's that.

It was never in question that he would win it.

But right now with almost 25% of the vote reported, he's at 57%. That's substantial weakness for the candidate that is the clear dominating figure in the party. All of the talk is about him, all of the party's machination is behind him, all of the party's key figures are touting his candidacy.

When actual voters in the GOP primaries get in the voting booth, roughly four out of 10 don't vote for him.

Oh, they’ll just hold their noses. We know how this ends.

Some will for sure, but not all. Of the Republicans I know that I actually know well enough to be told who they will actually vote for, which is four people - but four regular Republican voters who voted for Trump in 2016 simply aren't going to vote for him under any circumstance.

Some will for sure, but not all. Of the Republicans I know that I actually know well enough to be told who they will actually vote for, which is four people - but four regular Republican voters who voted for Trump in 2016 simply aren't going to vote for him under any circumstance.

Most will. But the game is played at the margins in the general election and just a few percentage points could make a difference.

It won’t be for Biden, so it won’t be enough to matter.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom