2024 GOP Presidential Race (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Many of Trump's endorsed candidates did not do well on Nov. 8th.
    Gov. Ron DeSantis DID do well.
    He won convincingly.
    Yet in this OP's opinion, Donald Trump is an egomaniac who is seemingly incapable of putting "Party over Self"
    Trump has ZERO chance of being elected our next president.
    In my opinion, if Trump would just shut up and go away (fat chance of that)...but "if" Trump did that, Gov. Ron DeSantis would have a CHANCE to be a formidable candidate for President in 2024.
    Here is an interesting article on this topic...
    What do any of you think re. Trump vs DeSantis?

Good luck with that
    ===============
    A Pennsylvania city mayor has demanded that Donald Trump reimburse a $35,000 bill from 2018 ahead of his planned return for a campaign rally on Saturday.

Joe Schember, the mayor of the western Pennsylvania city of Erie, told Erie Times-Newsthat their pleas to seek a bill for Mr Trump’s campaign for the rally in October 2018, which attracted a crowd of 12,000 people, have gone unheard nearly for five years…….

The former president arrived at the same indoor stadium in downtown Erie on 10 October 2018 to hold a Make America Great Again rally for his campaign for Republicans around the country ahead of the 6 November midterm elections.

The city mayor made several unsuccessful attempts to recover the cost incurred by the administration in security arrangement, overtime pay for city workers assigned to cover the event, and other employee-related costs.

Despite the unpaid bill, city officials and the police have begun logistical and staffing preparations for the 2023 event, Mr Schember said.

According to the Federal Election Commission filings, the Trump campaign had more than $35.4m on hand at that time. Mr Schember said they were aware of it and made the formal request for reimbursement but did not hear back.……

Now everyone needs to go back and watch the fascist anti-gay and trans video they posted.

DeSantis is flaming out. He doesn’t know how to be a proper conservative- he thinks it’s all about culture war and he doesn’t know how to to do that without alienating everyone but the hardcore, which also means losing the donor class and having no shot at the independents. Plus he’s just totally unlikeable.

He’s done. I bet he drops out before the end of the year.

So where do the No-Trumpers go? Tim Scott?

Now everyone needs to go back and watch the fascist anti-gay and trans video they posted.

DeSantis is flaming out. He doesn’t know how to be a proper conservative- he thinks it’s all about culture war and he doesn’t know how to to do that without alienating everyone but the hardcore, which also means losing the donor class and having no shot at the independents. Plus he’s just totally unlikeable.

He’s done. I bet he drops out before the end of the year.

So where do the No-Trumpers go? Tim Scott?
    Of them all, I think only Chris Christie can sincerely position himself as the anti-Trump. Asking if a Jersey politician can get dirty enough feels weird, but Chris will have to get *filthy* to get the clicks against Cheato Jesus.

Of them all, I think only Chris Christie can sincerely position himself as the anti-Trump. Asking if a Jersey politician can get dirty enough feels weird, but Chris will have to get *filthy* to get the clicks against Cheato Jesus.

True - but by No-Trump I don’t mean anti-Trump. That’s a bridge too far. I just mean the person who can get the support of those GOP voters who either refuse to support trump or recognize he’s a loser in the general - that doesn’t mean they’re anti-Trump.

Scott has actually done better with the fundraising compared to the other “also ran” candidates. Better than Christie, Haley, and Pence.

i never understood the OMG moment from this..

If anyone is going to come out from anywhere other than the GOP or the Democratic Party, they'll have to be very charismatic, have a strong message that appeals to a majority of the people, and look the part of a leader who knows his shirt. That interview showed very bad on Johnson, the way he replied to the question. And even after it was explained to Johnson what Aleppo was, still couldn't come up with any sort of coherent response.

3rd party candidates don't have the luxury of being clowns, and have the masses vote for the clown they know. "We are not the Republicans or the Democrats" can only take you so far.

Last edited:
    CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa — Republican presidential hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy had just finished a speech to the National Rifle Association’s annual meeting when he found himself chatting backstage with Donald Trump.

The 37-year-old political novice had just received a mid-address standing ovation in Indianapolis for proposing to arm and train every household in Taiwan to protect against an attack from China — one of many provocative ideas he has promoted in his long-shot bid. Trump “basically congratulated” him that day in late-April, Ramaswamy recalled in an interview, and expressed surprise at the warm reception his 2024 rival had gotten.

“I told him not to be surprised and to expect more of it,” said Ramaswamy, who predicted a nontraditional candidate would prevail in primary. “One way or another, it’s going to be an outsider,” he remembered telling Trump. “And he said, ‘One way or another, it’s an outsider.’”

While some Republicans are running as more electable or effective than Trump and others embrace a pre-Trump GOP posture or are outright anti-Trump, Ramaswamy is pitching himself as something different — the next iteration of Trump, who is at times chummy with his rival. An entrepreneur who made a fortune in biotechnology and pharmaceuticals, Ramaswamy is a first-time candidate looking to break through a field of more conventional rivals by touting a suite of proposals some experts have said are extreme and dangerous and would push the bounds of presidential authority...........

Billed as “America First 2.0,” an argument that Trump did not go far enough in passing his policy agenda as president, Ramaswamy’s platform — which leans heavily on executive actions — includes raising the voting age to 25 unless certain requirements are met, ending affirmative action “in every sphere of American life,” shutting down the FBI, and trimming 75 percent of executive branch employees to reduce the size of the “administrative state.”.........

Others see his ideas as unrealistic or damaging. His embrace of Trump and the former president’s agenda puts him out of step with other millennials of color, who have generally embraced more liberal policies. Some of his own young staff pushed back on a pitch to raise the voting age to 25 unless certain requirement such as passing a civics test or serving in the military are completed. The proposal was panned by young people in both parties and voting rights advocates, some who saw it as a throw back to Jim Crow laws. Ramaswamy argues that more young people would vote as a result of his plan, because it would have greater value...........

About Ramaswamy: Did he address how he would get around the US Constitution to implement his voting plan? I’m pretty sure one of the Amendments holds that you cannot abridge the right to vote by age. I think requiring a civic literacy test would be considered abridgment. Or for that matter, his idea of ending birthright citizenship? (14th amendment) It seems like he should have a passing knowledge of the US Constitution shouldn’t he? I mean I know the GOP doesn’t really believe in the US Constitution at this point, but come on.

Vivek Ramaswamy is getting a hard look by Republicans willing to entertain alternatives to Donald Trump, especially as Ron DeSantis continues to flounder. The 37-year-old biotech entrepreneur has surged into third place in several national polls, ahead of prominent Republicans like Mike Pence, Nikki Haley, and Tim Scott.

Ramaswamy is also a practicing Hindu, and though he has been campaigning as an anti-abortion religious conservative, his non-Christian faith is a major stumbling block for many in the GOP’s evangelical base. He’s been on a charm offensive with these evangelical audiences, but the outreach appears to be backfiring, at least among the Christian nationalist set.

Hank Kunneman is a pro-Trump pastor, self-styled “prophet,” and election denier who recently challenged anyone who believes that Biden won in 2020 should “reexamine your theology.”

Kunneman devoted much of his sermon at the Lord of Hosts Church in Omaha, Nebraska, last Sunday to blasting the GOP’s flirtation with Ramaswamy as an insult to heaven. “We are in danger as a country,” Kunneman said, hectoring to the members of Generation Z and millennials who “like this ‘new young guy.’”

“If he does not serve the Lord Jesus Christ,” Kunneman warned, “you will have a fight with God.”

As he preached, Kunneman grew exasperated and unguarded in his slights of the Hindu faith. “What are we doing?!” he asked. “You’re gonna have some dude put his hand on something other than the Bible? You’re going to let him put all of his strange gods up in the White House?”

Kunneman railed against the polished Ramaswamy, who is campaigning as a MAGA stalwart. “I don’t care how good someone’s policies are or how good they sound if they don’t profess the name of Yeshua,” Kunneman insisted, using the Hebrew name for Jesus. Invoking biblical passages about a “jealous God” bringing punishment, Kunneman muttered: “You’re not bringing your idols into our country.”

The pastor’s remarks, first highlighted by Right Wing Watch, underscore the challenges faced by non-Christian candidates seeking the nomination of a party whose base is rife with evangelical conservatives. Within much of the modern GOP, simply championing a “freedom of faith” is insufficient. The reactionary goal of large numbers of Republican Christians is the imposition of a Christian faith — and fundamentalist biblical strictures — on a country they see as seduced by secularism. According to one recent poll, more than half of Republicans either actively embrace Christian nationalism or support its aims...............

So you have Ron DeSantis telling black Republicans in Congress (Byron Donalds and Tim Scott) that they're siding with the Democrats/Kamala Harris for having a problem with that particular section of the Florida African-American studies curriculum. Insane.

He has the same flaw as Trump where he cannot admit he's wrong but he's not Trump and he's not good at this stuff.

I can almost see Trump - especially given that Byron Donalds is a big supporter of his - seizing the moment here and labeling DeSantis "Racist Ron" which I think would box DeSantis in and then he would either have to choose to double down and lean into it or he'd have to back down and show weakness to Trump.

I can almost see Trump - especially given that Byron Donalds is a big supporter of his - seizing the moment here and labeling DeSantis "Racist Ron" which I think would box DeSantis in and then he would either have to choose to double down and lean into it or he'd have to back down and show weakness to Trump.
    Good point. Let's see what happens.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom