2024 GOP Presidential Race (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Many of Trump's endorsed candidates did not do well on Nov. 8th.
    Gov. Ron DeSantis DID do well.
    He won convincingly.
    Yet in this OP's opinion, Donald Trump is an egomaniac who is seemingly incapable of putting "Party over Self"
    Trump has ZERO chance of being elected our next president.
    In my opinion, if Trump would just shut up and go away (fat chance of that)...but "if" Trump did that, Gov. Ron DeSantis would have a CHANCE to be a formidable candidate for President in 2024.
    Here is an interesting article on this topic...
    What do any of you think re. Trump vs DeSantis?

I've been quite pleased with how Biden has done but this is kind of like a 40+ year old quarterback

Yes, he's playing great right now but his skill level can drop off a cliff at anytime. Could start next game, or 2 years from now
    Yep, that's the thing. How much risk tolerance do we have at that age. It's definitely going to be a topic during the general election cycle.

I don't disagree too much there. I mean, if it's between Christie and Biden, we'll be a lot better off either way than if Biden vs anyone else in the field.

I think being President is an incredibly difficult job and it will be hard on Biden. I just hope he can stay healthy for 6 more years. That's a long time at that age.
    Christie really isn’t the picture of health, though, while Biden seems pretty healthy for his age. But, yeah I would not be super upset if Christie won. Only a normal upset, lol.

Christie really isn’t the picture of health, though, while Biden seems pretty healthy for his age. But, yeah I would not be super upset if Christie won. Only a normal upset, lol.

Great point…..He is over 60 and seriously overweight….I’ve heard reports that he is close to 300lbs at 5’ 11”…..Joe Biden is 6’ and 215…..despite the age difference I don’t think there is much of a distinction here….to stay 300lbs past 60 does not typically bode well for making it to 65 or 70 without either a serious medical setback or death……

That said, while I disagree with nearly all of Christie’s policy positions, I feel he is at least “sane” and he would be a much better choice than all the other R candidates….

My main concern with Biden is to look forward and select a VP who has a chance to become president one day….Kamala Harris is not the right choice going forward IMO…..

Great point…..He is over 60 and seriously overweight….I’ve heard reports that he is close to 300lbs at 5’ 11”…..Joe Biden is 6’ and 215…..despite the age difference I don’t think there is much of a distinction here….to stay 300lbs past 60 does not typically bode well for making it to 65 or 70 without either a serious medical setback or death……

That said, while I disagree with nearly all of Christie’s policy positions, I feel he is at least “sane” and he would be a much better choice than all the other R candidates….

My main concern with Biden is to look forward and select a VP who has a chance to become president one day….Kamala Harris is not the right choice going forward IMO…..

I think it would be the wrong move to choose another VP (unless it's her choice, or if Garland steps down and she says she'd rather be attorney general)

Otherwise it's a bad look "I'll use this black woman to get what I want, now that I have it, I'll be moving on"

I've read that Harris is doing much more behind the scenes than we know about and apparently she was quite important during the 22 mid terms

I think it would be the wrong move to choose another VP (unless it's her choice, or if Garland steps down and she says she'd rather be attorney general)

Otherwise it's a bad look "I'll use this black woman to get what I want, now that I have it, I'll be moving on"

I've read that Harris is doing much more behind the scenes than we know about and apparently she was quite important during the 22 mid terms

I couldn’t disagree more….she simply isn’t a presidential candidate and I don’t see that changing, if the Dems try to run her after Biden that would be a huge mistake IMO….it has nothing to do with her being a black woman….

The Dems need to look forward especially after Biden….there are plenty of better VP candidates out there….Wes Moore, Hakeem Jeffries, just to name a few….

I never understood why she wasn't picked for AG to begin with. She's really not a great orator and not particularly charismatic. I don't think people would rally behind her the way they have done with previous Democratic Presidents. I mean, I have a hard time thinking of anything she's done that I really have an appreciation for. I'm sure she has, but I'm drawing blanks.

I do think there are others out there that would give people confidence in the event something happens to Biden.

She seems better suited to AG I agree

Likability is a crucial quality for a politician, but it hits different when that term is applied to women

Has a President running for reelection ever changed the VP before?

Maybe I'm wrong and Biden would be able to make a change without much incident or negative effect, but I think it would be a very delicate situation and very hard to pull off and I'm skeptical that it could be done

She seems better suited to AG I agree

Likability is a crucial quality for a politician, but it hits different when that term is applied to women

Has a President running for reelection ever changed the VP before?

Maybe I'm wrong and Biden would be able to make a change without much incident or negative effect, but I think it would be a very delicate situation and very hard to pull off and I'm skeptical that it could be done
    I agree with this. I think women get judged differently than men, they just do. I don’t think there are any huge negatives about her, and I have read that she has quietly been doing a great deal to advance some objectives of the Administration.

The GOP race from the financial aspect...

Florida governor and 2024 Republican presidential candidate Ron DeSantis has reduced campaign staff as his campaign has struggled to meet fundraising goals.

Fewer than 10 staffers were laid off, according to an anonymous staffer, reported Politico. The staffers were involved in event planning and may be picked up by the pro-DeSantis super Pac Never Back Down. Two senior campaign advisers, Dave Abrams and Tucker Obenshain, left the campaign this past week to assist a pro-DeSantis nonprofit group.

Sources within the campaign reported an internal assessment that the campaign hired too many staffers too early.

“They never should have brought so many people on; the burn rate was way too high,” said one Republican source familiar with the campaign’s thought process to NBC News. “People warned the campaign manager but she wanted to hear none of it.”

More shake-ups within the campaign are expected in the coming weeks after two months on the presidential campaign, with DeSantis still lagging substantially in second place behind former president Donald Trump.

Even in DeSantis’s home state of Florida, Trump still has a 20-point lead over the governor, according to a recent Florida Atlantic University poll.…….

Donald Trump branded the US a “third-world hellhole” run by “perverts” and “thugs” in his latest 2024 campaign speech, a rambling, nearly two-hour long set of remarks to close out a right-wing conference in Florida.

The one-term president told the Turning Point Action Conference on 15 July that the American dream was “dead” under Joe Biden as he relentlessly mocked his predecessor and painted a bleak picture of a nation in decline.

“The election will decide whether your generation will inherit a fascist country or a free country, “ Mr Trump told the right-wing activist conference.

“Millions of illegal aliens have stormed across our borders, it is an invasion, like a military invasion. Our rights and liberties are being torn to shreds,” he said. “Your country is being turned into a third-world hellhole, run by censors, perverts criminals and thugs.”………

“The election will decide whether your generation will inherit a fascist country or a free country, “ Mr Trump told the right-wing activist conference.
    Trump told a half truth there. He's right that this election will probably determine if we move farther away from fascism or spiral deeper into it. He's lying about which candidates and party would spiral us deeper into fascism.

Trump told a half truth there. He's right that this election will probably determine if we move farther away from fascism or spiral deeper into it. He's lying about which candidates and party would spiral us deeper into fascism.
    Trump is ALWAYS lying about something. The man is literally incapable of speaking without lying.

I agree with this. I think women get judged differently than men, they just do. I don’t think there are any huge negatives about her, and I have read that she has quietly been doing a great deal to advance some objectives of the Administration.
    And that was really my point, too quietly. Like when Pence was VP, he was a lot of things, but quiet wasn't exactly one of them. We heard from him during Covid and when he led initiatives and projects. He made public appearances pretty regularly. That hasn't really been the case with Harris. She's been pretty invisible since becoming VP.

There's not necessarily anything wrong with it, but VPs aren't usually as invisible as she's been.

Fwiw, I'm not saying she'll necessarily be bad for Biden, but she's not really going to bring a lot of voters either.

That being said, he won with her in 2020, so I don't see why that wouldn't happen again in 2024. I still think she'd be a better AG than VP, but that's based on her prior experience and skill set.

I agree women definitely do get judged differently unfortunately. It's certainly not a level playing field in terms of public perception. I don't know how you fix that though because people are biased. And certainly more than a few are straight up misogynists.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom