2024 GOP Presidential Race

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Many of Trump's endorsed candidates did not do well on Nov. 8th.
    Gov. Ron DeSantis DID do well.
    He won convincingly.
    Yet in this OP's opinion, Donald Trump is an egomaniac who is seemingly incapable of putting "Party over Self"
    Trump has ZERO chance of being elected our next president.
    In my opinion, if Trump would just shut up and go away (fat chance of that)...but "if" Trump did that, Gov. Ron DeSantis would have a CHANCE to be a formidable candidate for President in 2024.
    Here is an interesting article on this topic...
    What do any of you think re. Trump vs DeSantis?

Read an article saying that even if DeSantis isn't the nominee he'll be back, he's only 44.

Biden ran for president like 3 or 4 times before 2020

Read an article saying that even if DeSantis isn't the nominee he'll be back, he's only 44.

True. But in the meantime, Biden was a long-time US Senator, serving as chair or ranking member of both the Senate Judiciary Committee and the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Then, of course, he became Vice President under what was viewed as a successful two-term presidency. Only then did he win the presidency.

I think Reagan is probably a better example. As a two-term governor of California, he tried to win the GOP primary over Gerald Ford, who was the incumbent but who had not been elected. Reagan lost but came back again and won the primary in 1980 and went on to be a two-term president.

Of course, Reagan was dripping with charisma and aplomb whereas DeSantis seems to bounce between wet noodle and awkward goofball. Successful fascists should much more personality.

It’s a non-issue because there are no real instances of this causing a problem.
    That's simply not true. There are definitely cases of people flipping out because they think there's a trans (or not) in the bathroom. That's happened more than a few times.
    Women’s restrooms already are all stalls, with communal sinks. So even if an actual man walks in, he would have to peer under a stall to see anything. A trans woman who hasn’t had surgery wouldn’t really be noticed because she would be in a stall peeing and nobody would see her.

A trans man who hadn’t had surgery would presumably just use one of the stalls, rather than the urinals, and nobody would be the wiser.
    That's all well and good until someone does flip out. And it happens. Some people are that obsessed about it and do follow trans people around.
    This is what has been happening for decades now, and there aren’t really any issues.
    I disagree.
    It’s like all the “election integrity” issues that Rs keep talking about - they’re made up issues. Rs are just making stuff up to rile everyone up for their own political advantage.
    There are a lot of things wrong with the whole trans debate. I just want a safe place for them be able to participate fully in society. If unisex bathrooms facilitates that, then why not do it? :shrug:

I think DeSantis has done some highly questionable, likely illegal things that will comeback to make him running at any level, very unlikely....

That's simply not true. There are definitely cases of people flipping out because they think there's a trans (or not) in the bathroom. That's happened more than a few times.

That's all well and good until someone does flip out. And it happens. Some people are that obsessed about it and do follow trans people around.

I disagree.

There are a lot of things wrong with the whole trans debate. I just want a safe place for them be able to participate fully in society. If unisex bathrooms facilitates that, then why not do it? :shrug:
    Okay, so I didn’t consider people flipping out because they think there’s an issue. I meant a real issue, not what I consider a fake issue that is made up. I don’t think you coddle those people, but that’s just my opinion.

Sure, that has happened. I saw one on-line where the woman filmed the other woman questioning her aggressively in a bathroom by the sink. They ended up going to store security, she wasn’t trans and the woman making the big deal was embarrassed. It got posted on line and all her friends presumably saw her acting like an idiot. Maybe being exposed for being nosy busybodies will make this self-limiting?

I don’t think it happens near enough to mandate changing every bathroom though. I can see going forward making every bathroom a single, especially in small businesses (and a lot of them already are) but that won’t work in large venues, like stadiums. I cannot imagine how much it would cost to put in dozens and dozens of single bathrooms in a sports stadium, for example.

Maybe the answer is this: provide one single bathroom, and if people are so upset about it they can wait in line for that one bathroom and the rest of us can go about our day in peace. 😁

Okay, so I didn’t consider people flipping out because they think there’s an issue. I meant a real issue, not what I consider a fake issue that is made up. I don’t think you coddle those people, but that’s just my opinion.

Sure, that has happened. I saw one on-line where the woman filmed the other woman questioning her aggressively in a bathroom by the sink. They ended up going to store security, she wasn’t trans and the woman making the big deal was embarrassed. It got posted on line and all her friends presumably saw her acting like an idiot. Maybe being exposed for being nosy busybodies will make this self-limiting?

I don’t think it happens near enough to mandate changing every bathroom though. I can see going forward making every bathroom a single, especially in small businesses (and a lot of them already are) but that won’t work in large venues, like stadiums. I cannot imagine how much it would cost to put in dozens and dozens of single bathrooms in a sports stadium, for example.

Maybe the answer is this: provide one single bathroom, and if people are so upset about it they can wait in line for that one bathroom and the rest of us can go about our day in peace. 😁
    I hear you on the stadium bathrooms. Those would be a bit more tricky conversion. That said, what I'd suggest is a fully enclosed stall similar in size to the porta-potties. Has a full, lockable door and those would be unisex. Then have a communal sink/mirror etc. I think wouldn't need much extra square footage for that.

Anyway, I mean, it doesn't really affect me directly. I just want a solution that best protects trans people and still accommodates everyone to the extent possible.

DeSantis feels the media is happily and deliberately putting out negative stories about him for the purpose of hurting him and thus helping the unelectable Trumpster.
    If you wish, the basis of this post can be found here....

so the media is finding faults and issues with a candidate, reporting/publishing them for folks to make an informed decision and thats a problem?

Republicans are really trying all they can to pare this down to R v D, regardless of who the R candidate is- just vote for him because you are a Republican.

so the media is finding faults and issues with a candidate, reporting/publishing them for folks to make an informed decision and thats a problem?

Republicans are really trying all they can to pare this down to R v D, regardless of who the R candidate is- just vote for him because you are a Republican.
    Well the article wasn't about what Republicans are trying to do.
    The article was about how Ron DeSantis views things.

Well the article wasn't about what Republicans are trying to do.
    The article was about how Ron DeSantis views things.

Ron is part of the GOP that is quickly moving to discount media that don't particularly operate on their behalf.

Trump now going after Iowa governor.

The GOP is a joke. The top 2 candidates are literally destroying whatever they feel like in an attempt to get to the Presidency. Damn the torpedoes.

Good luck with all that.

Also, to see DeSantis' thumbprint, go read what the Florida CFO wrote about Farmers Insurance exiting Florida market today.

Absolutely. I don't understand how this is allowed. As a former minister myself, I would never have allowed a politician to speak at my church, period. The church holding this event should absolutely lose their tax exempt status.
    I could see it being allowed if they would hold a candidate forum, a kind of meet the candidates event. But they shouldn’t officially favor one party or one candidate. That’s the way I remember it being when I was growing up anyway. I don’t see how we can go back there, though, with one party saying the other party is evil incarnate. They really have crossed a line and painted themselves into a corner.

I could see it being allowed if they would hold a candidate forum, a kind of meet the candidates event. But they shouldn’t officially favor one party or one candidate. That’s the way I remember it being when I was growing up anyway. I don’t see how we can go back there, though, with one party saying the other party is evil incarnate. They really have crossed a line and painted themselves into a corner.
    Perhaps they can paint themselves into a coroner.

I get why some might do that type of event, but it's just a bad idea imo. About the only thing political I ever said as a minister was encourage members to be active and go vote.

I get why some might do that type of event, but it's just a bad idea imo. About the only thing political I ever said as a minister was encourage members to be active and go vote.
    Not only SHOULD a pastor/reverend/minister be non political....He should be doubly mindful to avoid promoting someone who had many women accusing him of sinful stuff. I'm holding back here. The list I COULD post of reasons to avoid appearing to back Trump would be a very lengthy list indeed.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom