2020 Presidential Debate - Round 1 (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Some thoughtful analysis on the debate.

It is really quiet in here, outside of two conservative posters. Is the silence something to read into?

Their podcast was pretty good as well.

1601512910683.png

I understand the point of view that Trump brought the meat hammer. He was far more aggressive, and initially Biden seemed to be taking it without responding. I think Biden got better, and came off as presidential. Trump isn't constrained about whether what he says is true or not, and it takes less thought to flail widely. Biden attempted to address facts, and to maintain his composure, which seems meeker. However, eventually Biden hit Trump pretty well too. The only big hit on Biden was not addressing the packing of the court, but all politicians avoid answering some questions. Democrats have every right to pack the court after the Republicans refused to even hear Merritt Garland. The only other hit was not being able to get some facts out due to Trump's interruptions. By comparison, anyone truly intelligent would realize that Trump was spewing mostly lies. It depends on when your sister's boyfriend made that comment. Trump also avoided answering Covid, race, and peaceful election questions. If your sister's boyfriend made his comment within the first 20 minutes, lies or not from Trump, I get it. If he said it near the end of the debate, then I don't think he's all that smart or he's not well informed.

It was about 30 minutes in. His comments evolved.

Chris Wallace's reaction.

A snippet.

Trump did not take that opportunity, and his comment that one right-wing group, the Proud Boys, should "stand back and stand by" was immediately adapted as a rallying cry on social media. Members of the administration tried to rationalize the president's remarks throughout the day.

"I think people will read into that what they want to," Wallace said. "What was clear to me was he was given a direct opportunity several times by both me and by the vice president to call out the Proud Boys and white supremacists and he refused to do so."

Overall, Wallace said Trump's behavior on stage at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland became an obstacle in questioning both candidates.

"While I do think that there was a lot of worthwhile stuff in the debate, I had really prepared for a serious policy discussion," Wallace said. "The interruptions got in the way of a substantive discussion of serious issues and follow-ups to those issues. I thought it wasted a lot of time."

Wallace found Trump's willingness to keep interrupting "curious" after it became apparent that Biden, prone to making gaffes in his public appearances, was not going to be rattled by the strategy.

"Trump never went to Plan B," Wallace said. "He just stayed on Plan A the entire evening, and I don't think it served him especially well."

After the debate, Biden came up to Wallace and whispered in his ear: "I bet you didn't think you were signing up for a boxing match." Trump nodded to Wallace but said nothing to the moderator before exiting the stage.

Chris Wallace's reaction.

A snippet.

its exactly what i proposed- Trump, unable to rattle Biden, had a plan b- crank it up a few notches.

If you think this one was a circus, wait til the town hall next week.

its only going to get worse because Trumps sole strategy at this point is to suppress the vote. Thats it. Create as much chaos as possible to turn people off from casting their vote.

I suspect that it will have the exact opposite effect.

So his fall back position is fraud.

While Joe isn't as dynamic or progressive as I'd like, I think he's an excellent choice to lead us through the three biggest challenges we face right now.
    Covid, Climate and Cops.

Good job of boiling it down to gravy, and cutting out the noise... I agree, and if most Americans were truthful with themselves, I don’t think there’s a single one of those issues you just listed that they could claim , with a straight face, that Trump is better qualified- in experience or temperament- than Biden to tackle these things... But unfortunately the noise persists, and I’m not confident that most voters will see it the way that you and I see it.. Hope I’m wrong.

Hilarious.. Just unbelievably , unintentionally hilarious.

Seriously though, ive talked to, and chatted online with, people since the debate the other night who think that Biden should have simply walked off stage in the middle of it, since Trump wouldnt let him have a word edgewise and was your basic bull in a china shop.. I disagree, i dont think that would have been a good look... BUT, if Trump refuses to agree to a rules change to make the debates more civil and less hostile- then i think the only option for Biden is to politely decline any more debates, and take his chances in November.. i say ‘take his chances’, but it isnt really a gamble at all- since two more debates, IMO, wont change one single mind in America- besides making even more people sick of our political atmosphere and want to move to another country.

Hilarious.. Just unbelievably , unintentionally hilarious.

Seriously though, ive talked to, and chatted online with, people since the debate the other night who think that Biden should have simply walked off stage in the middle of it, since Trump wouldnt let him have a word edgewise and was your basic bull in a china shop.. I disagree, i dont think that would have been a good look... BUT, if Trump refuses to agree to a rules change to make the debates more civil and less hostile- then i think the only option for Biden is to politely decline any more debates, and take his chances in November.. i say ‘take his chances’, but it isnt really a gamble at all- since two more debates, IMO, wont change one single mind in America- besides making even more people sick of our political atmosphere and want to move to another country.
    Unfortunately, I think it would hurt Biden if he refused to hold the next 2 debates. It would be a very small impact, but with the margins being small in a few places like Florida, I don't think that would be a good idea.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom