What happens to the Republican Party now? (5 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
This election nonsense by Trump may end up splitting up the Republican Party. I just don’t see how the one third (?) who are principled conservatives can stay in the same party with Trump sycophants who are willing to sign onto the TX Supreme Court case.

We also saw the alt right types chanting “destroy the GOP” in Washington today because they didn’t keep Trump in power. I think the Q types will also hold the same ill will toward the traditional Republican Party. In fact its quite possible that all the voters who are really in a Trump personality cult will also blame the GOP for his loss. It’s only a matter of time IMO before Trump himself gets around to blaming the GOP.

There is some discussion of this on Twitter. What do you all think?

Here is a thorough report on the election in Maricopa County from actual election professionals, at least one of which is a long time Republican, who came out of retirement to counter the clown show that the Arizona Senate is sponsoring. I just don’t see how the Republican Party doesn’t end up splitting into two different parties if the Trumpists keep lying about the election. The real Republicans are starting to fight back.

Unrelated observation: I like that the Jan. 6 select committee has added a third Republican, former Congressman Denver Riggleman.

It doesn't matter what evidence is presented to these clowns. It'll just be another conspiracy.

No proof readers? OFFICAL?

1628178932004.png
I would just like to comment that they still haven't fixed the typo/misspelling yet.

^ I think he puts enough FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt) out there that it makes others wary, but in this case being distrustful can harm people. To me it's absurd, some of the things Tucker spews. On the one hand it's absurd to the point of being hilarious on the other he has a big viewing audience and it has hindered progress in stopping the spread of covid

I was reading about some of this today

so there is a census that was allowed to end early (I still have no idea why that was allowed)
also:

Redistricting has the power to shape elections for years. But this cycle, experts and voting rights advocates agreed, the stakes are higher than ever. New maps drawn by state Republicans could gerrymander Democrats out of their slim majority in the House, results of the 2022 midterms aside, experts said. It's also the first time the redistricting process is occurring since the Supreme Court gutted key federal protections against discriminatory maps in 2013 while giving a green light to partisan gerrymandering in 2019, leaving advocates fearful that the boundaries could significantly dilute the political power of people of color even as minorities are driving the country's population growth.

Could it be possible that the Census under-count and number of people that have died due to Covid make gerrymandering accurately harder?

Could it be possible that the Census under-count and number of people that have died due to Covid make gerrymandering accurately harder?

Not really because they carve those districts in such a way they deliver double-digit wins. They aren't even remotely close.

I follow a political guy, Dave Wasserman, and he tweeted today that the census is not as bad as he thought it was going to be for the Democrats. While the Republicans can still gerrymander to a majority, it will be harder for them to do so.

I follow a political guy, Dave Wasserman, and he tweeted today that the census is not as bad as he thought it was going to be for the Democrats. While the Republicans can still gerrymander to a majority, it will be harder for them to do so.
I guess that's "great" news, but gerrymanding is and will continue to be a threat to true democracy.

yeah, I don't care if gerrymandering would favor democrat, I still don't think it has any place. I know there are a few positive points about it, but the negatives far outweigh those in my opinion

What are the positives surrounding gerrymandering? I'm asking earnestly. I've never actually heard anybody try and defend it other than by saying that it's not against the law.

What are the positives surrounding gerrymandering? I'm asking earnestly. I've never actually heard anybody try and defend it other than by saying that it's not against the law.

Gerrymandering has been used to get black representation in politics by carving out "minority" districts. Were it not for this practice we'd likely see even less black representation in state and local legislatures than we currently do.

Gerrymandering has been used to get black representation in politics by carving out "minority" districts. Were it not for this practice we'd likely see even less black representation in state and local legislatures than we currently do.

But is that really a positive? Given that it is also used just as much to prevent majority "minority" districts, does it actually increase black/minority representation? It's also used to pack certain districts with minorities which limits the overall influence of minorities in an elections and limits their power.

The only way districts should be decided is by population/area. Those are the only two factors that should matter and be considered. I would only give minor consideration to racial makeups if there has been concerted efforts to limit minority representation in an area/state. All districts should be set by independent commissions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom