/* */

What happens to the Republican Party now? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This election nonsense by Trump may end up splitting up the Republican Party. I just don’t see how the one third (?) who are principled conservatives can stay in the same party with Trump sycophants who are willing to sign onto the TX Supreme Court case.

We also saw the alt right types chanting “destroy the GOP” in Washington today because they didn’t keep Trump in power. I think the Q types will also hold the same ill will toward the traditional Republican Party. In fact its quite possible that all the voters who are really in a Trump personality cult will also blame the GOP for his loss. It’s only a matter of time IMO before Trump himself gets around to blaming the GOP.

There is some discussion of this on Twitter. What do you all think?

This kind of mess is why a whole lot of women won’t vote R again. Barr is talking pure bull crap here and he knows it. Don’t act like we’re stupid.

These are the type of folks that are way, way worse than the braindead Trump cult followers.....because they know better.....Barr is pond scum, which is an insult to pond scum.....

The only US member of Congress who was born in the Ukraine...
    Hmmm. Stupidity is not impacted by ethnicity.

I remember early in the war there was a congressional trip to Ukraine. They didn't invite her. She showed up anyway. They had no plans for her to speak. They couldn't shut her up.

I remember early in the war there was a congressional trip to Ukraine. They didn't invite her. She showed up anyway. They had no plans for her to speak. They couldn't shut her up.
    She’s a pro-Putin Ukrainian. Yes, they exist. She’s an awful person. Just awful.

Why would a Ukrainian not feel bitter about what Putin has done to Ukraine? That may be true...but it is not logical.
    Here is your answer, from the article:
    1714400251800.png

I dont know anything about her, but reading this tells me everything i need to know about why she voted against it. 100% because of re-election votes.
    Do you think that has anything to do with it?
    She was for it, then changed her stance when she thought it would effect her votes..

Could you share a source regarding her Pro Putin stance?
    There's something going on with her.

She went from being supportive of Zelensky to abruptly criticizing him and accusing his chief of staff of being in the pocket or Russia, even though everyone in the US government has told her she's wrong.

She's forcing her way into committee meetings she doesn't belong to.

She's saying other things that aren't true and won't listen to anyone.

She won't reveal the sources of her inaccurate information.

She may not be intentionally pro-Putin and pro-Russia, but everything she's doing helps Putin at Ukraine's expense.

House Republicans gave Ukraine-born Rep. Victoria Spartz a coveted platform to speak out against Russia’s war. They’re coming to regret that.
    Spartz (R-Ind.), who has traveled to Ukraine a half-dozen times since the war began and spoken passionately about the conflict, shocked lawmakers in both parties recently with her intense criticisms of the country’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskyy, and his confidants.
    Inside the House GOP Conference, there’s a widespread fear that her posture is damaging U.S.-Ukraine relations at the worst possible time — and that she’s being played by forces that aim to weaken the Western alliance.
    A third House Republican granted anonymity to speak candidly about Spartz said she has a reputation for elbowing her way into briefings and meetings for committees she doesn’t belong to, like the Foreign Affairs panel, where multiple members have tried to address her comments behind closed doors.
    “Her naiveness is hurting our own people,” said a GOP lawmaker who serves on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, granted anonymity to speak candidly about a colleague. “It is not helpful to what we’re trying to do and I’m not sure her facts are accurate … We have vetted these guys.” The Republican warned that Spartz’s comments could “hurt” the war effort.
    A Foreign Affairs Committee aide, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the U.S. intelligence community is planning to brief Spartz about her claims in a classified setting Friday morning.
    As she goes after Zelenskyy’s top aides, the first-term Republican has previously generated headlines for her poor staff retention rate. Current and former aides described to POLITICO a hostile work environment in which Spartz repeatedly berates her staffers.
    Spartz declined to answer questions on the record for this story, but her office provided a written statement to POLITICO that defends her criticisms of the Zelenskyy government. (She has previously put the onus on Yermak and others to prove her wrong.)
    Spartz has refused to name the sources for her claims of improper behavior by Yermak and Zelenskyy’s government.

Last edited:
    Why would a Ukrainian not feel bitter about what Putin has done to Ukraine? That may be true...but it is not logical.
    Depends upon the back story. A Ukrainian can have Russian “blood” or Russian relatives who live in Ukraine. Of course, the entire election/politics angle is extremely important as well.

It's perfectly logical. There are a lot of multi-generational Ukrainians that are Russian loyalists. They are the only reason Putin was able to seize Crimea and parts of eastern Ukraine in 2014.

Putin and Russian oligarchs controlled and exploited Ukraine until the rebellion that ousted Putin's puppets in the Ukrainian government.

It's very much like how some here in America are more loyal to the Confederate States of America than they are to the United States of America. There are people in the southern states that would welcome a Russian invasion of southern states to liberate it from the tyranny of the United States.

Why would a single person of color support a party whose leader is supportive of White Supremacists? Why would hordes of so-called divine holier than thou Christians support a man who has openly cheated on multiple wives and has likely never opened and read the Bible?......I have many more questions but I think you get the idea.....

There's something going on with her.

She went from being supportive of Zelensky to abruptly criticizing him and accusing his chief of staff of being in the pocket or Russia, even though everyone in the US government has told her she's wrong.

She's forcing her way into committee meetings she doesn't belong to.

She's saying other things that aren't true and won't listen to anyone.

She won't reveal the sources of her inaccurate information.

She may not be intentionally pro-Putin and pro-Russia, but everything she's doing helps Putin at Ukraine's expense.

Very helpful response.
    Thank you for the time you invested in your post I've quoted.

Florida is continuing to “callously” strip healthcare coverage from thousands of children in lower-income households in defiance of a new federal law intended to protect them.

Since 1 January, more than 22,500 children have been disenrolled from Florida KidCare, its version of the Children’s Health Insurance Program (Chip) that is jointly subsidized by states and the US government for families with earnings just above the threshold for Medicaid.

Florida healthcare officials admit at least some were removed for non-payment of premiums, an action prohibited by the “continuous eligibility” clause of the 2023 Consolidated Appropriations Act that took effect at the beginning of this year. The clause secures 12 months of cover if at least one premium payment is made.

Last week, the administration of the Republican governor, Ron DeSantis, challenged the rule in federal court in Tampa, arguing it makes Chip an entitlement program that illegally overrides a state law requiring monthly payment of premiums.

But it has chosen not to wait for a ruling before continuing to separate children from coverage. Figures from the Florida Health Justice Projectshow there were 5,552 removals in the month to 1 April, following 5,097 in March, 5,147 in February, and 6,780 in January.

Florida argues the numbers include children ageing out or moving into other coverage, and that “disenrollment has been consistent at this level for years”. Notably, the monthly average so far this year is more than 1,500 higher than the whole of 2023.

“It’s just enormously cruel and a crisis of callousness by our governor and state of Florida who are willing to sacrifice sick children for their political aims,” said the Democratic US congresswoman Kathy Castor, who said she had been contacted by several families booted from KidCare, or “unwinded” from Medicaid as Covid-19 protections expired.…….

……..“We’re not enforcing our borders, we have open borders,” he continued a bit later. “We have lawlessness in our cities. We have regulations coming fast and furious. So, telling people what kind of stoves they can use, and what kinds of cars they have to drive, and eliminating cars and so forth. Yes, those are the threats to democracy.”

This is patter straight out of the right-wing media bubble. The stove thing, the crime thing, the border thing. Then there’s the McCarthyism charge, “cancel culture” anecdotalism.

Collins challenged Barr by noting the right’s push to ban books; Barr shrugged and countered by asking, “Don’t you think there should be some limits on what people are able to read at very young ages?”

That’s it, right there. Barr likes and agrees with Trump’s efforts to undermine democracy — and, in fact, was standing alongside him for most of those efforts.

He dislikes what Biden is doing in part because he has gobbled up nonsensical claims about what Biden is doing and in part because he just thinks it’s what the left does.

The left “has always” been the threat to democracy, he said; ergo, it is currently the threat to democracy……

Barr broached the issue of morality to Collins, too.

“Biden is not a great moral exemplar, okay?” he said. “And is he following the laws? Here he is, giving away another round of forgiving student loans, after he lost it in the Supreme Court.”

On Barr’s scales of morality, Trump’s actions sit evenly with Biden’s forgiving student loans.

In part because he’s so willing to excuse what Trump did. Collins asked Barr about a claim that Trump had called for the execution of someone who had leaked an unflattering story about him.
“I remember him being very mad about that. I actually don’t remember him saying, executing. But I wouldn’t dispute it, you know?” Barr responded.

“I mean, it doesn’t sound — I mean, the president would lose his temper and say things like that. I doubt he would have actually carried it out.”
Pressed by Collins, he claimed he was confident that Trump could be talked out of such an action. “The thing that I worry about President Trump is not that he’s going to become an autocrat and do those kinds of things,” Barr insisted.

This came a minute or two before his claim about how the Biden administration’s effort to address emissions from internal combustion engines was a mark of democratic collapse.

Barr also doesn’t seem to acknowledge that his break with Trump was rooted specifically in his inability to talk Trump off the ledge. He tried to get Trump to step away from the election-fraud stuff, without luck. But he seemingly wants those watching to assume that Trump won’t have someone killed…….

Not the "gotcha " you think.

She was born in 1978 at a time when Ukraine was a part of the USSR and got a traditional Communist education. Ukraine became independent in 1991 and the first few years were full of chaos as the former Soviet Union broke up. She also still have family in both Ukraine and Russia...

Knowing how Puting works I think that the last part is the reason for her "change in attitude"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom