What happens to the Republican Party now? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This election nonsense by Trump may end up splitting up the Republican Party. I just don’t see how the one third (?) who are principled conservatives can stay in the same party with Trump sycophants who are willing to sign onto the TX Supreme Court case.

We also saw the alt right types chanting “destroy the GOP” in Washington today because they didn’t keep Trump in power. I think the Q types will also hold the same ill will toward the traditional Republican Party. In fact its quite possible that all the voters who are really in a Trump personality cult will also blame the GOP for his loss. It’s only a matter of time IMO before Trump himself gets around to blaming the GOP.

There is some discussion of this on Twitter. What do you all think?

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — The Missouri Republican Party on Thursday denounced a GOP candidate for governor with ties to the Ku Klux Klan, saying party officials will go to court if necessary to remove him from the ticket.

Southwestern Missouri man Darrell Leon McClanahan, who has described himself as “pro-white,” was among nearly 280 Republican candidates who on Tuesday officially filed to run for office.

He is a longshot candidate for governor and faces a primary against Secretary of State Jay Ashcroft, Lt. Gov. Mike Kehoe, state Sen. Bill Eigel and others to replace Gov. Mike Parson, who is prohibited by term limits from running again.

The Missouri GOP posted on social media Thursday that McClanahan’s affiliation with the Ku Klux Klan “fundamentally contradicts our party’s values and platform.”

“We have begun the process of having Mr. McClanahan removed from the ballot as a Republican candidate,” the party tweeted. “We condemn any association with hate groups and are taking immediate action to rectify this situation.”

In an email to The Associated Press, McClanahan said he has been open about his views with state Republican leaders in the past. He made an unsuccessful run for U.S. Senate in 2022, losing the GOP primary with .2% of the vote.

“The GOP knew exactly who I am,” McClanahan wrote. “What a bunch of Anti-White hypocrites.”…….

Waiting for “some of my best friends are Black”…

its fracturing the GOP as a whole. You cant have subsets within the set that may have 1 view not like the whole. Now, in this instance, im sure many who hold his ideals, will simply calculate its not worth the risk, so they will adjust to the mean. But if this keeps cropping up, come election time, could spell bad news if the "whole" cant get all its "subsets" in order with the common goal.
    The Democratic party has entered the chat...

OCEAN ISLE BEACH, N.C. — Surrounded by fans at a beach town bar, Mark Robinson addressed his absent critics. “Mark Robinson is not running to be governor to be a bully over anybody,” he said.

Left unmentioned: The deluge of offensive comments that made such a declaration necessary. There was the time he called school shooting survivors “media prosti-tots” for advocating for gun-control policies.

The meme mocking a Harvey Weinstein accuser, and the other meme mocking actresses for wearing “whore dresses to protest sexual harassment.” The prediction that rising acceptance of homosexuality would lead to pedophilia and “the END of civilization as we know it”; the talk of arresting transgender people for their bathroom choice; the use of antisemitic tropes; the Facebook posts calling Hillary Clinton a “heifer” and Michelle Obama a man.

Even in a Republican Party that, under former president Donald Trump’s leadership, has often rewarded crude insults, baseless claims and incendiary language, Robinson stands out among candidates this year for the volume of his bigoted attacks and vicious diatribes.

The lieutenant governor of North Carolina and the first Black person to hold the office, Robinson is heavily favored to clinch the GOP nomination for governor in next Tuesday’s primary and, at a Saturday rally with Trump, got the former president’s formal endorsement……

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Former President Donald Trumpendorsed North Carolina Lt. Gov Mark Robinson for governor on Saturday, several months after the former president pledged to do so.

At a rally at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex, the former president also compared Robinson, who is Black, to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the famed civil rights leader. He referred to Robinson as “Martin Luther King on steroids.”

Trump said Robinson wasn’t sure how to respond when Trump compared him to the legendary civil rights leader, telling him: “I think you’re better than Martin Luther King. I think you are Martin Luther King times two.”

“You should like it,” Trump said……

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Former President Donald Trumpendorsed North Carolina Lt. Gov Mark Robinson for governor on Saturday, several months after the former president pledged to do so.

At a rally at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex, the former president also compared Robinson, who is Black, to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the famed civil rights leader. He referred to Robinson as “Martin Luther King on steroids.”

Trump said Robinson wasn’t sure how to respond when Trump compared him to the legendary civil rights leader, telling him: “I think you’re better than Martin Luther King. I think you are Martin Luther King times two.”

“You should like it,” Trump said……

We need a 🤮 emoji added to the reactions.

Very good article about fundraising emails/texts differences between both parties
    ==============

…….So what does all this linguistic fiddling say about the parties behind it? With just a few weeks before voting begins, the Guardian sorted through some of the most memorable messages of the 2022 campaign to shed light on the question.

Republicans​

For the GOP, it’s all about unswerving loyalty to the party – and to the great overlord, the chosen one, he who alone can fix it. He is not running for office this year, but his party seems unaware.

Text messages from the Republican National Committee dangle a wide range of perks: donate and you can be a part of the Trump Gold Club, the Trump Advisory Board (he undoubtedly takes direct calls from members), the Trump Free Speech Committee (I was flattered to receive an “EXECUTIVE INVITE” to this one), the 1 Million Trump Social Club, or the America First 100 Club.

Failing that, you can become a Trump Social Media Founding Supporter or get on the Trump Life Membership List (the messages do not specify what it would mean to be a lifetime member of Trump). Gifs of the ex-president often adorn the bottom of emails.

And if none of these clubs are for you, beware the RNC’s wrath. “Don’t you care?” asked a message on 30 June. “Our records show your Trump Advisory Board membership status is STILL PENDING ACTIVATION!”

This was just one of many similar messages that arrived after a failure to donate. In February, I was threatened with “possible suspension” – from what, I’m not sure – if I didn’t provide my “$45 payment”. Then in April: “Patriot! YOU NEVER ANSWERED!” (Capitals theirs.)

Later, things got passive-aggressive. “Do we need to talk, friend?” the party wondered. A few weeks after that, in May: “We’re not mad, we’re just asking. Why haven’t you pledged to follow Pres. Trump on Truth Social [his social media platform]?”……..

Clearly, the party’s marketing team believes donors are motivated by accusations of insufficient loyalty. In a March email describing the invasion of Ukraine, the party said a poll had found most Democrats would flee the country if the US found itself in a similar position.

“So we must ask: Would you fight for your country if it was under attack? Researchers need your response by midnight tonight. If you do not respond in time, we will assume you side with the Democrats who wouldn’t fight for America.”……

Democrats​

The opposing party is equally inclined to hyperbole, though it often takes a very different tone – one of vulnerability and occasional self-flagellation. “We’re downright BEGGING you,” wailed the subject line from a late September Democratic email. “Election day is 64 days away and we’re getting nervous,” warned a text early last month.

It’s really upsetting to have to send multiple texts and emails every day: “This isn’t easy for me,” wrote Joe Biden in April. A few months later: “I hate to ask.” (If Republicans’ word choice was occasionally odd, Democrats made mistakes of their own – this particular message suggested I “take a moment to read this email, and then chip in $0 to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee”, which I did.)….

When they’re not PLEADING, Democrats, in classic Democratic fashion, struggle to get their message out. While Republicans spit out brief, simple messages, Democrats offer subject lines like this from April: “I hope you’ll read this long email about how the DNC is bringing advanced data infrastructure to thousands of midterm campaigns this year, and then consider chipping in to support that work.” What red-blooded American could resist?……

If Republican messaging aligns with Lakoff’s “strict father” worldview, Democrats’ touchy-feely messaging fits his description of the progressive mindset, which he calls “nurturant parent”. That’s the empathetic figure who “isn’t imposing on the child but rather wants to find out what you need”, Lakoff says. “For the Democratic party, democracy is based on empathy. Why would you have a democracy, you know? In order to help other people, to make sure everybody gets treated equally, that everybody gets what they need from the government.”

The “begging” and “pleading”, then, seem to be based on the assumption recipients wish to do good; describing nervousness and sinking hearts appeals to empathy. And Barbra, John and Martin are all just part of the family.

And what would a nurturing family be without guilt trips? Of course, Democratic guilting is more “have you forgotten the parents who worked so hard to raise you?” than the Republicans’ “if you don’t cough up now, you’re dead to me”…….

I am getting 5-10 of these begging desperate fund raising texts a day

There aren’t any moderates left in the GOP. None.

A federal appeals court on Monday upheld a ruling that blocked Florida from enforcing a law, backed by Gov. Ron DeSantis, that restricts how private companies teach diversity and inclusion in the workplace.

A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit ruled Monday that the “Stop Woke Act” “exceeds the bounds” of the U.S. Constitution’s First Amendment right to freedom of speech and expression in its attempts to regulate workplace trainings on race, color, sex and national origin. The appeals court upheld a federal judge’s August 2022 ruling that said the same.

“By limiting its restrictions to a list of ideas designated as offensive, the Act targets speech based on its content. And by barring only speech that endorses any of those ideas, it penalizes certain viewpoints — the greatest First Amendment sin,” Judge Britt C. Grant wrote in Monday’s opinion…….

A controversial Republican congressional candidate in Ohio ended his campaign days after insisting he was still running, amid a backlash over comments he made that denigrated people with mental disabilities.

J.R. Majewski said in a statement announcing the decision Saturday that he was confident he would win but that it was “inevitable that the Deep State will do whatever it takes to fight against me.” He added that he would devote his time to helping return former president Donald Trump to the White House this year.

Majewski’s name will remain on the ballot for the March 19 primary in Ohio, where early voting is underway. But his exit is welcome news for his critics in the GOP, who worried he would again jeopardize their chances of capturing the competitive seat held by Rep. Marcy Kaptur (D).

Majewski first ran for the seat in northwestern Ohio with Trump’s backing in 2022. His campaign fell apart after the Associated Press reported that he had misrepresented his military service to voters.

Majewski had said Wednesday that he would stay in the race despite bipartisan condemnation for his comments on a recent conservative podcast.

He said Democrats arguing with him on the internet was “like being in the Special Olympics.”
“No matter how good you perform,” he said, “you’re still a f---ing retard.”…….

A controversial Republican congressional candidate in Ohio ended his campaign days after insisting he was still running, amid a backlash over comments he made that denigrated people with mental disabilities.

J.R. Majewski said in a statement announcing the decision Saturday that he was confident he would win but that it was “inevitable that the Deep State will do whatever it takes to fight against me.” He added that he would devote his time to helping return former president Donald Trump to the White House this year.

Majewski’s name will remain on the ballot for the March 19 primary in Ohio, where early voting is underway. But his exit is welcome news for his critics in the GOP, who worried he would again jeopardize their chances of capturing the competitive seat held by Rep. Marcy Kaptur (D).

Majewski first ran for the seat in northwestern Ohio with Trump’s backing in 2022. His campaign fell apart after the Associated Press reported that he had misrepresented his military service to voters.

Majewski had said Wednesday that he would stay in the race despite bipartisan condemnation for his comments on a recent conservative podcast.

He said Democrats arguing with him on the internet was “like being in the Special Olympics.”
“No matter how good you perform,” he said, “you’re still a f---ing retard.”…….

fork this guy sideways.

The Republican Party tore down it's principles......something it's built and campaigned on for decades for the Orange Jesus. It's incredible.

The Party for law and order - has a candidate with 91 indictments.

The Party of family and morals - has a sex offender as it's candidate. "Grab um by the P" candidate. Make fun of the disabled candidate. Vile, disaster of a human being candidate.

To be honest, I don't see a path to get back. The entire Party fell in love with the devil and lit every principle they hold dear on fire. It's a travesty to me, personally. I'm still a registered Republican and I do not support a lot of left wing stuff. But the MAGA Party is not the Republican Party I joined in the early 90's.

The Republican Party tore down it's principles......something it's built and campaigned on for decades for the Orange Jesus. It's incredible.

The Party for law and order - has a candidate with 91 indictments.

The Party of family and morals - has a sex offender as it's candidate. "Grab um by the P" candidate. Make fun of the disabled candidate. Vile, disaster of a human being candidate.

To be honest, I don't see a path to get back. The entire Party fell in love with the devil and lit every principle they hold dear on fire. It's a travesty to me, personally. I'm still a registered Republican and I do not support a lot of left wing stuff. But the MAGA Party is not the Republican Party I joined in the early 90's.
    It’s terrible. I was never a registered R, but I was taught by my parents to always vote for the person who would do the best job. I had voted for both types of candidates, depending on the race and the opposition. My state is considered deep red now, but when I was growing up we had both types of Senators and I respected both.

The GOP won’t get my vote now, and hasn’t since 2016. (I think I did vote for one local R in a race once since then). I cannot believe this is the same party that removed Nixon because they stood on their principles. There are no more principled people left in the GOP. The party needs to cease to exist.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom