What happens to the Republican Party now? (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
This election nonsense by Trump may end up splitting up the Republican Party. I just don’t see how the one third (?) who are principled conservatives can stay in the same party with Trump sycophants who are willing to sign onto the TX Supreme Court case.

We also saw the alt right types chanting “destroy the GOP” in Washington today because they didn’t keep Trump in power. I think the Q types will also hold the same ill will toward the traditional Republican Party. In fact its quite possible that all the voters who are really in a Trump personality cult will also blame the GOP for his loss. It’s only a matter of time IMO before Trump himself gets around to blaming the GOP.

There is some discussion of this on Twitter. What do you all think?

Not sure what thread to put this in

=========================
Florida’s rightwing Republican governor, Ron DeSantis, has appointed a judge who was previously ousted over a controversial ruling where he denied a teenager an abortion, citing her school grades.

DeSantis appointed Jared Smith to the newly established sixth district court of appeal, an appointment which will begin on 1 January 2023. Smith previously served as a judge on the Hillsborough county court until he was ousted in August after his decision on the abortion-related case.

In January, Smith had ruledthat a 17-year-old teenager was unfit to obtain an abortion as he questioned her “overall intelligence”. According to Florida law, both parental notification and consent is required in order for a minor to receive an abortion. In the teenager’s case, she had asked the court to waive the requirement.

Under Florida’s law, the requirement can be waived if the court finds “by clear and convincing evidence, that the minor is sufficiently mature to decide whether to terminate her pregnancy”.

However, in Smith’s ruling, he cited the teenager’s grades as a factor in his decision that denied her the abortion.

“Addressing her ‘overall intelligence’ … the court found her intelligence to be less than average because ‘[w]hile she claimed that her grades were ‘Bs’ during her testimony, her GPA is currently 2.0. Clearly, a ‘B’ average would not equate to a 2.0 GPA,’” he said in his ruling.

Smith also went on to question the teenager’s “emotional development and stability, and ability to accept responsibility”………

Not sure what thread to put this in

=========================
Florida’s rightwing Republican governor, Ron DeSantis, has appointed a judge who was previously ousted over a controversial ruling where he denied a teenager an abortion, citing her school grades.

DeSantis appointed Jared Smith to the newly established sixth district court of appeal, an appointment which will begin on 1 January 2023. Smith previously served as a judge on the Hillsborough county court until he was ousted in August after his decision on the abortion-related case.

In January, Smith had ruledthat a 17-year-old teenager was unfit to obtain an abortion as he questioned her “overall intelligence”. According to Florida law, both parental notification and consent is required in order for a minor to receive an abortion. In the teenager’s case, she had asked the court to waive the requirement.

Under Florida’s law, the requirement can be waived if the court finds “by clear and convincing evidence, that the minor is sufficiently mature to decide whether to terminate her pregnancy”.

However, in Smith’s ruling, he cited the teenager’s grades as a factor in his decision that denied her the abortion.

“Addressing her ‘overall intelligence’ … the court found her intelligence to be less than average because ‘[w]hile she claimed that her grades were ‘Bs’ during her testimony, her GPA is currently 2.0. Clearly, a ‘B’ average would not equate to a 2.0 GPA,’” he said in his ruling.

Smith also went on to question the teenager’s “emotional development and stability, and ability to accept responsibility”………

The thing that jumps out to me is that the people voted him out of office for an egregiously bad decision, and then DeSantis elevates him to a higher court. This runs counter to what democracy is supposed to be about.

Taurus, I’m afraid you’re correct. But I just cannot “like” that. Moving on to the latest example of Rs using actual people as political props. On Christmas Eve no less. Abbott is this new example of “lowest form of life”. You know how we know they despise these people and don’t even think of them as human? They don’t notify the authorities where they are sending them with even a few hours notice. Nope, they want to maximize the discomfort of these people, and hope maybe some of them are injured or die. That would make their day….

1C0B47EA-434B-49E3-8418-D1A9ECC272C3.jpeg

Taurus, I’m afraid you’re correct. But I just cannot “like” that. Moving on to the latest example of Rs using actual people as political props. On Christmas Eve no less. Abbott is this new example of “lowest form of life”. You know how we know they despise these people and don’t even think of them as human? They don’t notify the authorities where they are sending them with even a few hours notice. Nope, they want to maximize the discomfort of these people, and hope maybe some of them are injured or die. That would make their day….

1C0B47EA-434B-49E3-8418-D1A9ECC272C3.jpeg

It's almost like watching someone destroy themselves to serve their addiction.
Except MAGATs (in large numbers) hurt all of us on the way down.

Aside from Chuck’s post, I keep coming here expecting to see a 200 page thread about this Santiago ‘Jew-ish’ cat

How does the R party do it? If everyone in the party is a ‘talented’ Mr Ripley- and everybody knows it, how do you turn your back on any of them?

What the bleep? I didn’t say I was Jewish, I said I was Jew-ish? What the bleep does that even mean? That isn’t even word salad. That is “I’d like to buy vowel. Give me a rhinoceros, no, wait, a 7.”

What the bleep? I didn’t say I was Jewish, I said I was Jew-ish? What the bleep does that even mean? That isn’t even word salad. That is “I’d like to buy vowel. Give me a rhinoceros, no, wait, a 7.”

"Those who write of the “Jew-ish” people reveal more about their own intelligence level than those they attempt to besmirch." -- David Nachman

No, it's not a word salad. Before you understand what it is you'll be sorry you ever asked:

"Those who write of the “Jew-ish” people reveal more about their own intelligence level than those they attempt to besmirch." -- David Nachman

No, it's not a word salad. Before you understand what it is you'll be sorry you ever asked:

Thanks for the link. Interesting reading. That being said in Santos’s case both what Nachman wrote and what I said, imo, applies. I get the insult from BHI but in Santos case I don’t believe he has the cognitive ability to deliver that insult. He is an idiot, period. And a plain, garden variety anti-Semite. What is most annoying is that the Democratic Party didn’t expose him before the election.

Thanks for the link. Interesting reading. That being said in Santos’s case both what Nachman wrote and what I said, imo, applies. I get the insult from BHI but in Santos case I don’t believe he has the cognitive ability to deliver that insult. He is an idiot, period. And a plain, garden variety anti-Semite. What is most annoying is that the Democratic Party didn’t expose him before the election.
One of the commentators described this as a symptom of killing off local reporting and I think there’s some truth to this
This, et al, was an intended side benefit of conglomerations gobbling up local news

One of the commentators described this as a symptom of killing off local reporting and I think there’s some truth to this
This, et al, was an intended side benefit of conglomerations gobbling up local news
Yeah. I remember CNN interviewed the head of the NY Democratic Party and asked specifically why flags weren't raised. He responded that the info came up in their oppo and was put out there. However, outside of local coverage, national MSM didn't pick up on it until now.

Yeah. I remember CNN interviewed the head of the NY Democratic Party and asked specifically why flags weren't raised. He responded that the info came up in their oppo and was put out there. However, outside of local coverage, national MSM didn't pick up on it until now.

"We did our due diligence, we howled into the void, but nobody heard us."

Funny, I don’t recall seeing an ad talking about his lies. They aren’t pointing to it now either so I imagine it doesn’t exist.

They had a debate too. Santos even called his Dem opponent “dishonest” during that debate.

Talk about a time to flatten a guy.

If they didn’t prep their candidate to force this out in that forum - make him answer to it on live TV - they are making excuses.

I just looked it up and New York doesn't have a state constitutional amendment allowing for the recall of an elected federal office holder. Even if they did it would be without precedent at the Federal level, and so if they tried it it would more than likely fall when it was challenged in the courts.

Either the Republican house majority decides he stands or not. Other than that I don't see recourse.

We sure as hell are not going to shame the Republicans into doing anything.

But it might be fun to try. :D

I just looked it up and New York doesn't have a state constitutional amendment allowing for the recall of an elected federal office holder. Even if they did it would be without precedent at the Federal level, and so if they tried it it would more than likely fall when it was challenged in the courts.

Either the Republican house majority decides he stands or not. Other than that I don't see recourse.

We sure as hell are not going to shame the Republicans into doing anything.

But it might be fun to try. :D
This would seem to be strongest avenue to pursue

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom