What happens to the Republican Party now? (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This election nonsense by Trump may end up splitting up the Republican Party. I just don’t see how the one third (?) who are principled conservatives can stay in the same party with Trump sycophants who are willing to sign onto the TX Supreme Court case.

We also saw the alt right types chanting “destroy the GOP” in Washington today because they didn’t keep Trump in power. I think the Q types will also hold the same ill will toward the traditional Republican Party. In fact its quite possible that all the voters who are really in a Trump personality cult will also blame the GOP for his loss. It’s only a matter of time IMO before Trump himself gets around to blaming the GOP.

There is some discussion of this on Twitter. What do you all think?

There’s a difference between forgiving and forgetting. I don’t think she addresses forgiving at all, one way or the other. What she is addressing is forgetting - as in we know who these people are now and we don’t have to listen to them again.

And she is also making the point that this isn’t a true conversion just like you said in your first paragraph. That’s what she meant when she says - you’re not sorry for what you did, you’re just sorry it stopped working. She is specifically talking to pundits and religious influencers, not ordinary people. People who knew (or absolutely should have known) better, but danced with the devil anyway to get a little extra juice or a few more followers.

so, I guess I’m not really seeing what you are objecting to here. She agrees with your first paragraph completely, and if your and her contention there is true, then your second point is moot. We don’t have any true contrition here.

Republicans aren't even ask you to forget, or forgive. A small but significant portion weren't ok with coup d'etat. That all should take from the Election deniers getting voted out. All the other stuff was A-OK.

Republicans are for sure on the copium that they can make the Dobbs decision fade into the ether by 2024.

To use her analogy, there are no return flights yet from the vacation of decency.

Really good piece in the Atlantic about how the GOP’s coalescence around Trump after January 6 - including the rejection of those who voted to impeach - cost them the mid-terms.

Republicans aren't even ask you to forget, or forgive. A small but significant portion weren't ok with coup d'etat. That all should take from the Election deniers getting voted out. All the other stuff was A-OK.

Republicans are for sure on the copium that they can make the Dobbs decision fade into the ether by 2024.

To use her analogy, there are no return flights yet from the vacation of decency.
    Yes, so I still don’t see what you disagree with her about. 🤷‍♀️

not going to lie. i hope she gets her wish
    ============================

Marjorie Taylor Greene says she is ready unleash a civil war in the Republican Party after its poor showing in the midterms.

The Georgia congresswoman also indicated she would throw her support behind House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy in an interview with Steve Bannon’s War Room podcast.

“In order for us to succeed, we’re going to be forced to work together. That means we’re going to fight it out,” Ms Greene said.

“And I’m telling you, I’ve always said I’m not afraid of the civil war in the GOP. I lean into it.”

The GOP appears to be in open revolt after the Republican “red wave” failed to materialise in last week’s midterm elections.

House member Andy Biggs, a member of the GOP’s far-right Freedom Caucus like Ms Greene, is seeking to challenge Mr McCarthy for the leadership, according to reports in Politico............

The Republican Party has not had a moment’s rest since Donald Trump descended that escalator in Trump Tower in June 2015. And it might be about to enter its most tumultuous period in a long time.

In the wake of their surprisingly poor showing in the midterm elections, and with the former president apparently set to announce his 2024 bid for the White House, Republicans are preparing for a period of brutal intramural conflict. Suddenly, the party that remade itself in Trump’s image isn’t sure it likes what it sees in the mirror.

Or at least, some of them believe voters aren’t buying it. The GOP is chock-full of people who lined up behind Trump in 2016 not out of conviction but because they felt they had no alternative. His support among their constituents was undeniable, and he brought with him an intolerance for disloyalty and a petty vindictiveness. His win validated their decision, whatever moral compromise it entailed.

Yet each successive loss (the 2018 midterms, the 2020 presidential race and now 2022) has made it harder for them to believe that Trumpism is the only way to win — and that they can survive saying so. Which is why even some politicians considered Trumpy are now openly opposing him.

Take Virginia Lt. Gov. Winsome Earle-Sears, who touted her support for Trump and put up posters of herself holding a military-style rifle when she ran in 2021.

Two days after the midterms, she went on Fox Business to say she couldn’t support him in 2024. The Wall Street Journal editorial board, house organ of the conservative overclass, wrote an editorial titled “Trump Is the Republican Party’s Biggest Loser.”..........

The midterm elections might be behind us, but chaos is surely in front of us.

Weirder Republicans have been returned to power. The twice-impeached Donald Trump is in a run for the presidency — again. And uber-MAGA activists are even more delusional in their belief that the 2020 presidential election was stolen.

To the question of what could go wrong: Everything.

Not that we’ve been backstroking in sun-drenched serenity. When angry hordes attacked the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, I sensed that the drama we were witnessing wasn’t the culmination of something but the beginning of a long battle for the country’s future.

Trump isn’t only to blame, of course.

And Republicans aren’t the only miscreants in the devolved state of American politics. But let me be clear: Today’s Republicans are worse than today’s Democrats because of Trump and the cult he has created through lies, mass deception and old-fashioned circus trickery.

The gradual chipping away of democratic norms and widespread loss of faith in traditional institutions began decades ago. But the Trump phenomenon gave form and function to a simmering, ambient anger among lower- and middle-class White voters, whose grievances and resentments were affirmed by a man who had everything.

He told them they were right, and that’s all they needed to submit their loyalty.

In just four years, Trump created an army of locked-and-loaded patriots whose mission was to take back their country. Almost overnight, it seemed, street-corner soap boxes where fevered conspiracists held up signs and shouted slogans gave way to governing seats at the grownups’ table……

Interesting article
    =============
    Former surgeon general Jerome Adams and his wife, Lacey, often find themselves talking about what they have named the “Trump Effect.”

It followed them from Washington to their home in the Indianapolis suburbs. They felt it when he was exploring jobs in academia, where he would receive polite rejections from university officials who worried that someone who served in the administration of the former president would be badly received by their left-leaning student bodies. They felt it when corporations decided he was too tainted to employ.

Now, two years after Adams left office as only the 20th surgeon general in U.S. history, the couple feel it as acutely as ever. As Donald Trump announced this month that he will run for president again, they had hoped it all would have faded away by now.

They would rather talk about public health, in a very personal way. This summer, Lacey Adams was diagnosed with a third recurrence of melanoma. Both Adamses have been sharing her experiences on social media and in public appearances, hoping to spread a message about skin-cancer prevention. But the stigma of his association with Trump, even though neither of them is a supporter of his political campaign, remains.

Trump is “a force that really does take the air out of the room,” Adams, 48, said. “The Trump hangover is still impacting me in significant ways.” He said the 2024 Trump campaign “will make things more difficult for me.”

The former surgeon general’s predicament underscores one of the givens of today’s political environment: Association with Trump becomes a permanent tarnish, a kind of reverse Midas touch. Whether indicted or shunned or marginalized, a cavalcade of former Trump World figures have foundered in the aftermath of one of the more chaotic presidencies in modern American history……..

Interesting article
    =============
    Former surgeon general Jerome Adams and his wife, Lacey, often find themselves talking about what they have named the “Trump Effect.”

It followed them from Washington to their home in the Indianapolis suburbs. They felt it when he was exploring jobs in academia, where he would receive polite rejections from university officials who worried that someone who served in the administration of the former president would be badly received by their left-leaning student bodies. They felt it when corporations decided he was too tainted to employ.

Now, two years after Adams left office as only the 20th surgeon general in U.S. history, the couple feel it as acutely as ever. As Donald Trump announced this month that he will run for president again, they had hoped it all would have faded away by now.

They would rather talk about public health, in a very personal way. This summer, Lacey Adams was diagnosed with a third recurrence of melanoma. Both Adamses have been sharing her experiences on social media and in public appearances, hoping to spread a message about skin-cancer prevention. But the stigma of his association with Trump, even though neither of them is a supporter of his political campaign, remains.

Trump is “a force that really does take the air out of the room,” Adams, 48, said. “The Trump hangover is still impacting me in significant ways.” He said the 2024 Trump campaign “will make things more difficult for me.”

The former surgeon general’s predicament underscores one of the givens of today’s political environment: Association with Trump becomes a permanent tarnish, a kind of reverse Midas touch. Whether indicted or shunned or marginalized, a cavalcade of former Trump World figures have foundered in the aftermath of one of the more chaotic presidencies in modern American history……..

I think accepting jobs with the Trump administration and then leaving when they realized and saw how corrupt it was shouldn't be a disqualifier for future employment. Continuing to work in the Trump administration knowing about the rampant corruption and not speaking out...well those folks are now going through the find out phase. "You lie down with dogs you wake up with fleas" and "you are judged by the company you keep" are two phrases that come to mind with that article.

I mean, everyone knows what elevating these people will cause to happen. We all know what will happen. That nobody in the R party dares to say anything is the biggest indictment of these cowards ever. They don’t say anything because they know the violence won’t come for them or their families. It will come for people who don’t look like them or worship like them. That’s the very definition of cowardice - knowing about evil and refusing to say something, to do something.

I mean, everyone knows what elevating these people will cause to happen. We all know what will happen. That nobody in the R party dares to say anything is the biggest indictment of these cowards ever. They don’t say anything because they know the violence won’t come for them or their families. It will come for people who don’t look like them or worship like them. That’s the very definition of cowardice - knowing about evil and refusing to say something, to do something.

Here's one the people you and other's here post quite often. He got caught manipulating this video to try to link Fuentes to DeSantis. This is the same guy who quit his job in support of the fraud Rebecca Jones and he still has a tweet pinned to his Twitter account about her. Aaron Rupar has been caught doing similar things. Click on the tweet to see the note about how he edited the video.

But...but Glenn Greenwald!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom