Washington prepares for Biden inauguration on Jan. 20 under pall of potential violence (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    On January 20 at 12:00pm EST, Joe Biden will be sworn in as the 46th president of the United States. And security has never been higher - for fear of violence caused by domestic terrorists and insurrectionists.

You make it sound like a bad thing.

Actually, that would be a really bad thing. According to experts in counter-insurgency, we have a narrow window to try to bring people around. Killing a bunch of them, if it could be avoided, would further radicalization.

Listen to the On Point podcast from today.

Actually, that would be a really bad thing. According to experts in counter-insurgency, we have a narrow window to try to bring people around. Killing a bunch of them, if it could be avoided, would further radicalization.

Listen to the On Point podcast from today.
    Sure. How far would you go to avoid killing them? How much damage do you allow before you stop them? Do you prefer heroes or martyrs?

As for the experts, I wonder ... nah.

You make it sound like a bad thing.

Actually as much as I would like to see those Nazi, white supremicists and other asshats die for their hatred and violence....there would almost certainly be law enforcement, military etc that would spill blood as well if it turned into some kind of real engagement....and I don't want that....

On a lighter note.. new view for the White house.

1610650427722.png

Sure. How far would you go to avoid killing them? How much damage do you allow before you stop them? Do you prefer heroes or martyrs?

As for the experts, I wonder ... nah.

People can support and agitate and demonstrate for whatever and whomever they want. Where I draw the line at demonstrations is: if you bring a firearm, you will be disarmed; if you try to use a firearm, you will shot or arrested. In other words, tolerate non-violence. If people burn something, or damage something, arrest and prosecute them, don't shoot them. If they try to hurt others, force is required.

People can support and agitate and demonstrate for whatever and whomever they want. Where I draw the line at demonstrations is: if you bring a firearm, you will be disarmed; if you try to use a firearm, you will shot or arrested. In other words, tolerate non-violence. If people burn something, or damage something, arrest and prosecute them, don't shoot them. If they try to hurt others, force is required.
    Exactly what I think. Don’t make a scene politically unless needed. The bulk of the US government is already at work going after them. Let them poke their heads up, do stupid things, win stupid prizes. But if it comes towards violence against the government, well, save the taxpayers money.

Exactly what I think. Don’t make a scene politically unless needed. The bulk of the US government is already at work going after them. Let them poke their heads up, do stupid things, win stupid prizes. But if it comes towards violence against the government, well, save the taxpayers money.
    Also, the good news is that most of the biggest knuckleheads already showed their hand (and faces) Jan 6th, so honestly, I think it makes things easier for the 20th. Only so many 'radicalized' people.

A lot of people think this stuff, not as many will act on it.

.... at least that's what I'm telling myself.

Tuberville is dumb.

He is a massive embarrassment to the state. I wrote him telling him as much and asking him to resign. I also wrote Senator Shelby imploring him to do what's necessary to remove Tuberville.

Also, the good news is that most of the biggest knuckleheads already showed their hand (and faces) Jan 6th, so honestly, I think it makes things easier for the 20th. Only so many 'radicalized' people.

I don't have that reassurance at all.

Estimates of the number of active militia members seem to vary widely, but it's in the thousands / tens of thousands, where members are not only radicalized and have long been preparing for "something", many have military and law enforcement backgrounds.

Proud Boys, Boogaloo, Identity Europa, and other militant and white nationalist groups are rapidly spreading their hate and recruiting members, something that is facilitated with a visible online presence.

In ways similar to terror organizations in other parts of the world, these groups are able to prey on people, many of them angry and disillusioned men with access to guns, and recruit them into what is setting up to be an American war against "others" and democratic rule.

Add in Q, fringe and mainstream conservative provocateurs, and the speed with which conspiracies and disinformation are spread, and the ingredients exist for a protracted period of increasing political and racial violence in the U.S.

If nothing happens at the inauguration, it will be because of the strong security presence and extraordinary precautions being put in place. Looking ahead, I think the risk level for sporadic, even loosely coordinated attacks on targets comprising institutions, groups, and individuals around the country is extremely high.

Last edited:
    My sense is that the time for underestimating or downplaying the threat of rightwing extremism, from the political to the street level violence, has come to an end.

He is a massive embarrassment to the state. I wrote him telling him as much and asking him to resign. I also wrote Senator Shelby imploring him to do what's necessary to remove Tuberville.

Is he though? He is exactly who everyone thought he would be. We all knew he couldn't pass an 8th grade civics class, and Alabama elected him over Doug Jones...a man who SHOULD be some sort of local legend, but apparently he has the wrong letter behind his name.

It's possible that a lot of people will show up at state capitols. I read about folks who wanted to travel to DC but couldn't afford it. State capitols are much more accessible.

I'm thinking about going to my own to observe.

My sense is that the time for underestimating or downplaying the threat of rightwing extremism, from the political to the street level violence, has come to an end.

I'll add this...these people have been stockpiling guns/ammo for a while, go to any sporting goods store in the morning and you see, no offense, fighting age white men lined up outside waiting for the store to open to snatch up this week's ammo shipment.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom