Washington prepares for Biden inauguration on Jan. 20 under pall of potential violence (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    On January 20 at 12:00pm EST, Joe Biden will be sworn in as the 46th president of the United States. And security has never been higher - for fear of violence caused by domestic terrorists and insurrectionists.

People can support and agitate and demonstrate for whatever and whomever they want. Where I draw the line at demonstrations is: if you bring a firearm, you will be disarmed; if you try to use a firearm, you will shot or arrested. In other words, tolerate non-violence. If people burn something, or damage something, arrest and prosecute them, don't shoot them. If they try to hurt others, force is required.
    While that sounds reasonable, what should be done if they push down barricades? You can try to arrest the first line, but what if the next line keeps pushing through? If they get through, the risk of violence is great, so I think that justifies retaliating more violently. I would at least fire tear gas and probably rubber bullets, since many of these rioters have gas masks.

While that sounds reasonable, what should be done if they push down barricades? You can try to arrest the first line, but what if the next line keeps pushing through? If they get through, the risk of violence is great, so I think that justifies retaliating more violently. I would at least fire tear gas and probably rubber bullets, since many of these rioters have gas masks.
    Armed breaking barriers to endanger an inauguration? Shoot them. I’m sorry to sound like this but there were armed people in the capital. There are rumored to be armed people in this mass. See exactly how courageous these “patriots” and their wants for civil war really are. Enough of it. They want to overthrow the government and restore Trump? Sorry not how this whole national security thing works. In no other situation would people using deadly force, or potentially using deadly force to attack the government or president should be tolerated. It shouldn’t be now either.

Armed breaking barriers to endanger an inauguration? Shoot them. See exactly how courageous these “patriots” and their wants for civil war really are. Enough of it. They want to overthrow the government and restore Trump? Sorry not how this whole national security thing works.
    What about unarmed protesters knocking down barriers? They can still beat people to death after they get in and then use their weapons if they don’t use them to stop them. They will need to at least use rubber bullets, and switch to real if they don’t stop. This is a favorite of Republicans known as stand your ground.

The DC gun law is the best weapon the Feds have going for them to thwart a repeat of 06JAN.
    Did any of the rioters USE guns ?

I guess all you can do is
    a) Restrict the number of people who can get in front of the capital, by blocking access roads.
    b) Have large numbers of LEO who can 'push back', and prevent the crowd breaking through the barriers ? Or have VERY sturdy barriers ?

In the case of the original riot, there where only very flimsy barriers in place, and hardly any policemen. At the same time, there where relatively few protesters.

Personally, I think this talk of violence, and people infiltrating the National Guard, are wildly exaggerated. Having said that, best be safe than sorry I guess ?

You guess? Better safe than sorry during the Presidential inauguration? I'm not buying what you're selling.

Agreed 100%.

SHOOT TO KILL every last one of these traitors .. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.. It’s not our fault you’ve been indoctrinated, lied to and believed the lies... These folks arent even good enough to rot in prison, they are a cancer that needs to be excised from democracy.. To be clear, I’m not making this sweeping generalization of every clueless dolt who cast a vote for Trump- only those who show up on Inauguration Day with malice, ie ALL OF THEM who are there, try to push through barricades, cause trouble and try to overthrow our free and fair election.. i only wish that their deaths could be slower and more painful than getting shot dead like the vermin they are.

Agreed 100%.

SHOOT TO KILL every last one of these traitors .. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.. It’s not our fault you’ve been indoctrinated, lied to and believed the lies... These folks arent even good enough to rot in prison, they are a cancer that needs to be excised from democracy.. To be clear, I’m not making this sweeping generalization of every clueless dolt who cast a vote for Trump- only those who show up on Inauguration Day with malice, ie ALL OF THEM who are there, try to push through barricades, cause trouble and try to overthrow our free and fair election.. i only wish that their deaths could be slower and more painful than getting shot dead like the vermin they are.

While this is easy to understand from an emotional perspective, I think it is really problematic from a legal one. Law enforcement and justice are best when administered dispassionately. Law enforcement's use of deadly force standard applies just the same when applied to a traffic stop or a riot. The problem with just shooting them all is that not all of them had violent intent - and when government just start shooting indiscriminately at demonstrators, the mantle of the rule of law is lost. Because without a dispassionate standard for use of deadly force, it leaves it to the judgment of the authority as to when it should and should not be used . . . and that judgment is far too easily corrupted.

If deadly force can be used en masse against crowds of demonstrators based on the malicious intent of some of them, it becomes far easier to use it any time the authority feels threatened by the demonstrators, including simply by the content of their position. And at that point, there's no one to stop the slide into full-blown authoritarianism.

While this is easy to understand from an emotional perspective, I think it is really problematic from a legal one. Law enforcement and justice are best when administered dispassionately. Law enforcement's use of deadly force standard applies just the same when applied to a traffic stop or a riot. The problem with just shooting them all is that not all of them had violent intent - and when government just start shooting indiscriminately at demonstrators, the mantle of the rule of law is lost. Because without a dispassionate standard for use of deadly force, it leaves it to the judgment of the authority as to when it should and should not be used . . . and that judgment is far too easily corrupted.

If deadly force can be used en masse against crowds of demonstrators based on the malicious intent of some of them, it becomes far easier to use it any time the authority feels threatened by the demonstrators, including simply by the content of their position. And at that point, there's no one to stop the slide into full-blown authoritarianism.

It is indeed a slippery slope.

Not unlike some rules of combat where you can only fire when fired upon.

The real fear is that mixed in that crowd of relatively peaceful wanting protesters, are the nut-jobs looking for confrontation and some form of "war". That makes it much harder for law enforcement to do their job. Puts them is a really bad spot of having to wait for shots fired before engaging the shooter(s). And if they are mixed in the crowd, someone is going to die that wasnt supposed to.

I think that the massive show of force ( 25k NG and however many state/fed officers ) will probably quell any itchy trigger fingers, but it only takes one idiot to fire off some rounds and hit a LEO and all hell could break loose. I just think that the US is doing the most they can with locking down DC. I would imagine they should issue an edict - do NOT come to DC looking to protest - you could have folks among you looking for a battle and it could put your life in danger. Now simply isnt the time. And if you find one in your midst, armed and looking for trouble, point him out/report it.

I want to believe that regardless of the number of 3%ers, the Proud Boys etc, when push comes to shove, they will think twice. But a small part of me is uneasy with some of these guys who have spent the better part of their adult lives "prepping" and believing civil war is the only way thru this.

crazy.

Just FYI, DC is literally locked down. Unless you actually are a resident, or have official inauguration business, don't expect to be allowed anywhere near the Capitol Complex and National Mall areas. This includes the WH and surrounding area.

My boss who is a high ranking supervisor for a federal agency couldn't even get to his building for work today. They ain't messing around.

Also, the 14th street and Arlington Memorial bridges are both being closed on Inauguration Day. That's pretty much unheard of. As far as I'm aware, that's never happened in previous large events or other inaugurations. Didn't happen on 9-11. This is highly unusual.

Access into the city via metro will be severely limited as well.

So, I wouldn't worry about anything happening tomorrow. They've got this thing well under control and it should be a painless transition.

I'm just ready for this to be over so we can get back to semi-normal.

Just FYI, DC is literally locked down. Unless you actually are a resident, or have official inauguration business, don't expect to be allowed anywhere near the Capitol Complex and National Mall areas. This includes the WH and surrounding area.

So, I wouldn't worry about anything happening tomorrow.

This makes me wonder if youve been paying close attention, Dave... The greatest threat, by far, tomorrow - not an existential threat, but an actual threat- is from perpetrators such as people who are in the National Guard (a “good guy”) who have a bone to pick with Biden/Harris, or have been infected with the MAGA cult/Qanon syndrome.. of which I’d guess there are PLENTY... the worry is that one of these folks will be able to get close and “take one for the team”- take someone out, someone VERY high up...... And unfortunately, they would be hailed as heroes by a certain percentage of our population for the res of their lives... supposedly they are being vetted, but come on- are you kidding me? You cant vet that many people , thrugouhly, in this short a time period... i suppose this “insider” threat is what’s got me so Incredibly charged up and dismayed at where we are, and willing to stop these fools by any means necessary.

1000%.

which is why it’s a good thing I’m not in charge of security for tomorrow. :hihi:
    Hey, at least we can recognize that though and don't double down with, "nah, shoot every last one of them."

'Cause really, that just plays into what the right wing extremists want to see from the rest of us.

Also, and not to put too fine a point on it- But i have been accused by people in my real life, as well as forums i frequent- since way back in 2016 of “overreacting” in re to what Trump and his followers are capable of......... I dont have time to look up comments from the last 5 yrs, or go and remind each friend or family member about how they said “Give him a chance!!!!!”.. or “It wont be that bad, there are people around him that pull the strings!!!!!!”

I sincerely hope we dont have to revisit this thread tomorrow night or Thursday with regret... I actually hope I’m dead wrong, and yall can all say “See, Mr Blue Sky, it all went off without a hitch”.... Actually , i expect one of you to do that, please, and I’ll happily thank you.

Also, the 14th street and Arlington Memorial bridges are both being closed on Inauguration Day. That's pretty much unheard of. As far as I'm aware, that's never happened in previous large events or other inaugurations. Didn't happen on 9-11. This is highly unusual.

That is because after the inauguration, Biden, Obama, Bush and Clinton are going to the tomb of the unknown soldier to do a ceremony.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom