Washington prepares for Biden inauguration on Jan. 20 under pall of potential violence (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    On January 20 at 12:00pm EST, Joe Biden will be sworn in as the 46th president of the United States. And security has never been higher - for fear of violence caused by domestic terrorists and insurrectionists.

Just FYI, DC is literally locked down. Unless you actually are a resident, or have official inauguration business, don't expect to be allowed anywhere near the Capitol Complex and National Mall areas. This includes the WH and surrounding area.

My boss who is a high ranking supervisor for a federal agency couldn't even get to his building for work today. They ain't messing around.

Also, the 14th street and Arlington Memorial bridges are both being closed on Inauguration Day. That's pretty much unheard of. As far as I'm aware, that's never happened in previous large events or other inaugurations. Didn't happen on 9-11. This is highly unusual.

Access into the city via metro will be severely limited as well.

So, I wouldn't worry about anything happening tomorrow. They've got this thing well under control and it should be a painless transition.

I'm just ready for this to be over so we can get back to semi-normal.

I keep seeing MAGAs (and their political agitators) post pictures of it with captions like "This is Joe Biden's America" and I want to kick them in the balls. They are truly shameless.

While this is easy to understand from an emotional perspective, I think it is really problematic from a legal one. Law enforcement and justice are best when administered dispassionately. Law enforcement's use of deadly force standard applies just the same when applied to a traffic stop or a riot. The problem with just shooting them all is that not all of them had violent intent - and when government just start shooting indiscriminately at demonstrators, the mantle of the rule of law is lost. Because without a dispassionate standard for use of deadly force, it leaves it to the judgment of the authority as to when it should and should not be used . . . and that judgment is far too easily corrupted.

If deadly force can be used en masse against crowds of demonstrators based on the malicious intent of some of them, it becomes far easier to use it any time the authority feels threatened by the demonstrators, including simply by the content of their position. And at that point, there's no one to stop the slide into full-blown authoritarianism.

I agree with you. The counterpart to this, though, is the dangerous precedent being set that state and federal capitols aren't secured against being overrun by angry mobs. If officials increasingly feel unsafe, this introduces a chilling effect on decision-making, including whether to run for office. Insider claims have been reported that some members of Congress are physically afraid to go against Trumpism. Sound governance is very much under attack right now.

Getting through the inauguration, without incident, is the immediate challenge, but the threats and concerns that have created the lockdown in DC will remain with us. A lot of lawmakers at the state and federal levels have to be feeling especially vulnerable. The increasing risks to their safety aren't going away anytime soon.

I agree with you. The counterpart to this, though, is the dangerous precedent being set that state and federal capitols aren't secured against being overrun by angry mobs. If officials increasingly feel unsafe, this introduces a chilling effect on decision-making, including whether to run for office. Insider claims have been reported that some members of Congress are physically afraid to go against Trumpism. Sound governance is very much under attack right now.

Getting through the inauguration, without incident, is the immediate challenge, but the threats and concerns that have created the lockdown in DC will remain with us. A lot of lawmakers at the state and federal levels have to be feeling especially vulnerable. The increasing risks to their safety aren't going away anytime soon.

Fair indeed, but the lapse we should be addressing is one of security and preparation in the face of an obvious and realistic threat. I'm confident that after the inauguration is done and Congress gets back in session, we're going to see some accountability on that front. Everything that happened (from the moment Trump announced the January 6 rally to the insurrection at the Capitol) was public - it happened on Twitter, Facebook, and on websites that largely function in the open.

If officials feel unsafe, that's why.

This makes me wonder if youve been paying close attention, Dave... The greatest threat, by far, tomorrow - not an existential threat, but an actual threat- is from perpetrators such as people who are in the National Guard (a “good guy”) who have a bone to pick with Biden/Harris, or have been infected with the MAGA cult/Qanon syndrome.. of which I’d guess there are PLENTY... the worry is that one of these folks will be able to get close and “take one for the team”- take someone out, someone VERY high up...... And unfortunately, they would be hailed as heroes by a certain percentage of our population for the res of their lives... supposedly they are being vetted, but come on- are you kidding me? You cant vet that many people , thrugouhly, in this short a time period... i suppose this “insider” threat is what’s got me so Incredibly charged up and dismayed at where we are, and willing to stop these fools by any means necessary.

Lol, I'm aware of all of that. The vetting of NG troops is no doubt a tall order. And it's a huge security challenge having 25k troops deployed in DC. These guys are armed and there to protect areas of the city. The commanders are well aware of the security concerns you've addressed. I can assure you they've got this handled. I know you're worried, but I think it's highly unlikely anything bad will happen tomorrow.

Last edited:
    Also, and not to put too fine a point on it- But i have been accused by people in my real life, as well as forums i frequent- since way back in 2016 of “overreacting” in re to what Trump and his followers are capable of......... I dont have time to look up comments from the last 5 yrs, or go and remind each friend or family member about how they said “Give him a chance!!!!!”.. or “It wont be that bad, there are people around him that pull the strings!!!!!!”

I sincerely hope we dont have to revisit this thread tomorrow night or Thursday with regret... I actually hope I’m dead wrong, and yall can all say “See, Mr Blue Sky, it all went off without a hitch”.... Actually , i expect one of you to do that, please, and I’ll happily thank you.

Fair enough, see you then. :hihi:

Fair indeed, but the lapse we should be addressing is one of security and preparation in the face of an obvious and realistic threat. I'm confident that after the inauguration is done and Congress gets back in session, we're going to see some accountability on that front. Everything that happened (from the moment Trump announced the January 6 rally to the insurrection at the Capitol) was public - it happened on Twitter, Facebook, and on websites that largely function in the open.

If officials feel unsafe, that's why.

I'm less worried about the U.S. Capitol, at least in terms of a similar mob style attack, than I am state capitols. I also worry about the ongoing threat to lawmakers and other officials, at all levels of government, in their daily lives. There is no practical way to protect all of them all of the time.

We are in a very precarious position. There are the dangers you describe with the excessive use of force, and those that come from not doing enough.

We will need fortified security of government buildings for the foreseeable future and, I think, clear messaging that any attempt to breach those buildings will be met with up to deadly force.

Last edited:
    A friend in the National Gaurd told me they always do the vetting in this kind of situation, the issue is they rarely have this many troops deployed in a situation like this. So there are just too many to vet in the amount of time.

A friend in the National Gaurd told me they always do the vetting in this kind of situation, the issue is they rarely have this many troops deployed in a situation like this. So there are just too many to vet in the amount of time.

Yep, 25k is a lot different than the usual 5k or so they normally do. I would vet them based on proximity to the Capitol. Start with the ones closest and work your way outward. That way you at least get the ones closest to the ceremony.

This one.. :rolleyes:

I saw that. Smh. If they try that, I don't see them getting very far. There have already been arrests of people possessing fake credentials to try and access restricted areas as well as some attempting to bring weapons in the area.

And Maria B has completely lost her way. Disappointed because she used to be a decent journalist.

Did any of the rioters USE guns ?
    Didn't say they did.

I was vague, so I'll explain. The DC gun laws will aid in preventive measures regarding guns being brought in. It will allow law enforcement to arrest for possessing in the area. To hopefully thwart things at the checkpoints. Unlike the former Michigan Capitol law that allowed guns on the grounds, protesters can't lawfully strut around with their assault weapons.

And, you seem to trying real hard to play down the riots from 06JAN. There's plenty of video to show the seriousness of the attack.

Last edited:
    The gist is that God has a plan for this nation and wants a particular outcome. And God's plan for our nation is Trump. :oops: Dangerous stuff when it comes from behind a church pulpit to a congregation.

"I was tempted to wear my black robe today and cover up my AR-15 beneath it," Knappen said from his Cornerstone Church sanctuary in Alexandria, Minn., "but I thought that would be way too graphic for all of you and for Facebook to allow. But I would be part of that movement back then, and I may be part of that movement today."

Conservative evangelical Christians have been among Donald Trump's most fervent and loyal supporters. While few have gone as far as Knappen and endorsed armed struggle on his behalf, the rhetoric of some evangelical leaders has been notably militant.

Last edited:
    Did any of the rioters USE guns ?

I’m not sure this has been determined, though there is evidence that somebody other than police may have fired a weapon.

I recall seeing daylight coverage of the damage shown in this tweet. It appeared that a gun was fired at the window from outside of the Capitol.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom