Voting Law Proposals and Voting Rights Efforts (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This is, IMO, going to be a big topic in the coming year. Republicans have stated their aim to make voting more restrictive in just about every state where they have the means to do so. Democrats would like to pass the Voting Rights Bill named after John Lewis. I’m going to go look up the map of all the states which have pending legislation to restrict voting. Now that we have the election in the rear view, I thought we could try to make this a general discussion thread, where people who have concerns about voting abuses can post as well and we can discuss it from both sides. Please keep memes out of this thread and put them in the boards where we go to talk about the other side, lol.

In your opinion it was honest. Common sense dictates otherwise.
    No, it’s not an opinion at all. It’s a fact. It was certified by his own people in his administration and Republican election officials across the country.

No, it’s not an opinion at all. It’s a fact. It was certified by his own people in his administration and Republican election officials across the country.
    Yeah, well it was certified begrudgingly. That's not where they were in the beginning. Everyone knows that election was a sham, including at least some of the democrats.

You talk and act like one...so... ;)
    Well, I mean, when you have nothing else but resorting to snark. :shrug:

Questioning the legitimacy of the 2020 election is certainly not common sense, and certainly not a widely held view. Not to mention there's absolutely no evidence to support the claim. Trump admitted begrudgingly that he lost the election. He just didn't know when to quit and embarrassed himself and everyone who supported him.

You talk and act like one...so... ;)
    And fwiw, I was a Republican until Trump was elected. Trump was and always will be a charlatan and a misogynist. I read his Art of the Deal book in the early 90s and it was some of the most nonsensical crap I've read about business.

His propensity to act like a bully and demean people is unparalleled and he was a stain on the Presidency.

That the Republican Party didn't have the self-awareness to recognize Trump for what he was and still is is just telling how far the party has fallen. I've never been a Democrat, but the Republicans are currently in the most horrific period in their history.

All that said, from what I've read from you, I'm not sure it's worth wasting more of my time with someone who can't accept the truth of what happened in the 2020 election and the coup attempt on 1/6. The willful ignorance is quite stunning. But it is what it is I guess.

RACINE, Wis. — The Republican National Committee and its allies say they have staged thousands of training sessions around the country on how to monitor voting and lodge complaints about next month’s midterm elections. In Pennsylvania, party officials have boasted about swelling the ranks of poll watchers to six times the total from 2020.

In Michigan, a right-wing group announced it had launched “Operation Overwatch” to hunt down election-related malfeasance, issuing a press release that repeated the warning “We are watching” 10 times.

Supporters of former president Donald Trump who falsely claim the 2020 election was stolen have summoned a swarm of poll watchers and workers in battleground states to spot potential fraud this year. It is a call to action that could subject voting results around the country to an unprecedented level of suspicion and unfounded doubt.

“We’re going to be there and enforce those rules, and we’ll challenge any vote, any ballot, and you’re going to have to live with it, OK?” one-time Trump adviser Stephen K. Bannon said on a recent episode of his podcast. “We don’t care if you don’t like it. We don’t care if you’re going to run around and light your hair on fire. That’s the way this is going to roll.”

Whether the flood-the-zone approach will materialize remains to be seen. Election officials will not know until Election Day how many poll watchers will turn up, making it impossible to be sure whether there will be a surge in volunteers. In battleground states like Arizona and Wisconsin, many Republicans who have said they would serve as poll workers have not taken any shifts.

But the appeal from GOP figures who deny the results of the last presidential vote has created a dilemma for election officials, who rely on ordinary citizens to do the grunt work of democracy — checking in voters, for instance, or opening absentee ballots — but now fear some of those who show up could become agents of disruption.

Election administrators say they welcome more participation from the public but worry that improperly trained observers could try to enforce rules that they are misinterpreting. Even a handful of bad actors, they note, can inject chaos into the voting system and sow distrust.

“The problems don’t need to be in a thousand polling places,” said David Becker, the executive director of the Center for Election Innovation and Research in Washington, D.C. “If there’s a violent incident in one polling place, that’s enough, because the election deniers have been pouring gasoline all over the country, and it just takes one match.”..........

And fwiw, I was a Republican until Trump was elected. Trump was and always will be a charlatan and a misogynist. I read his Art of the Deal book in the early 90s and it was some of the most nonsensical crap I've read about business.

His propensity to act like a bully and demean people is unparalleled and he was a stain on the Presidency.

That the Republican Party didn't have the self-awareness to recognize Trump for what he was and still is is just telling how far the party has fallen. I've never been a Democrat, but the Republicans are currently in the most horrific period in their history.

All that said, from what I've read from you, I'm not sure it's worth wasting more of my time with someone who can't accept the truth of what happened in the 2020 election and the coup attempt on 1/6. The willful ignorance is quite stunning. But it is what it is I guess.
    Dave,
    I wish there was a party that represented you well. I align pretty closely with Democrats, so I'm a Democrat, although I respect and agree with some moderate Republicans. I know that I'm further right than some on this site, so I think this country needs sane alternatives. There are some Republicans that I would support over some Democrats, and it would be nice to have that choice much more often. As it stands today, the Republican party is not an option for anyone that believes that we need to preserve our constitutional democracy. That's why I find it appalling that this election is even close.

In your opinion it was honest. Common sense dictates otherwise.
    There aren't many things related to politics that can be considered honest. But no one here really want to go down your QAnon rabbit hole of deep state election fraud fantasy. Its funny you want to bring up common sense, but yet exihibit none yourself...

There aren't many things related to politics that can be considered honest. But no one here really want to go down your QAnon rabbit hole of deep state election fraud fantasy. Its funny you want to bring up common sense, but yet exihibit none yourself...
    Point out where I've talked about QAnon.

you don't have to, it's implied. Eveything you talk about is stright from their playbook.
    I heard about QAnon back when my nutty brother-in-law was touting their praises, but I never believed they could (or would) do anything major even if they did exist.

Sorry pal, at least 80% of what I say comes straight from my own observations. ;)

I heard about QAnon back when my nutty brother-in-law was touting their praises, but I never believed they could (or would) do anything major even if they did exist.

Sorry pal, 80% of what I say comes straight from my own observations. ;)
    If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, then its a duck...
    You just accused DaveXA of being a democrat because he talks and acts like one.
    You talk and act like a QAnon idiot, so in your own words, you must be one..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom