Vice-Presidential Debate (Wednesday, 10/7/2020) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    The VP debate between Pence and Democratic vice presidential nominee Sen. Kamala Harris is slated for Wednesday, Oct. 7 at 9 p.m. ET (6 p.m. PT) at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City.

The debate will run for 90 minutes and comprise nine 10-minute segments with no commercial breaks. Susan Page, USA Today's Washington bureau chief, will moderate. Pence and Harris will be seated for the debate and positioned 12 feet apart.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/vice-presidential-debate-2020-how-to-watch-pence-vs-harris-debate-live/

Respectfully disagree on the whole thing - Pence was arrogant and condescending on that exchange. He wasn’t the moderator, and Harris wasn’t bound to answer questions that he made up. He talked over the female moderator, he interrupted Harris, he wouldn’t abide by the time limits. He lied as much as Trump.

She could have been a bit more sharp, as far as making some points, but she would also be judged harsher if she seemed anything less than cordial.
    Respectfully, you might be right and I hope you are. 🙂

People could see Pence as walking over two women. I thought the entire debate Harris should have pointed out his interruptions and overtime as not keeping his word to respect the moderator, his opponent, and American institutions like Trump has done these past 4 years.

I think Harris walked into a 10 round boxing match up 2 points and somehow walked out at best even. She underperformed given Covid, the economy, and Trump. It’s not harsh to say, “you didn’t answer the question.” She never did that.

Respectfully, you might be right and I hope you are. 🙂

People could see Pence as walking over two women. I thought the entire debate Harris should have pointed out his interruptions and overtime as not keeping his word to respect the moderator, his opponent, and American institutions like Trump has done these past 4 years.

I think Harris walked into a 10 round boxing match up 2 points and somehow walked out at best even. She underperformed given Covid, the economy, and Trump. It’s not harsh to say, “you didn’t answer the question.” She never did that.
    In regards to a boxing metaphor, this was just round 2. The first debate was round 1. The final debate will be round 3. The last 7 rounds will be the campaigning and advertising blitz during the weeks leading up to election day.

This is great

5B5E13F4-3669-42A5-8E89-C1A1DE692BDA.png

It’s the terminology Pence used and the terminology NBC used post debate. Words matter and if Pence can get the media talking about an issue using his preferred word, then that’s a win.

For Harris to not bring up Garland as “court packing” was a failure.

Yeah, Harris has more than a few softballs thrown her way and she whiffed on a lot of them. Not throwing the Garland hypocrisy back in his face was almost shocking. I mean, I saw her writing stuff down. She only needed to write down Garland's name.

Saw a different tally of speaking time. Wonder which one is more accurate?

Also, during the primary debates, I recall Harris getting points for having sharp answers one time, but the next debate with similar points she was panned for being to “shrill” and a bit “nasty”. It’s an almost impossible tight rope for a woman.

Honestly, I thought Harris was being too nice. And never really pushed back hard enough on topics that would have been layups. That said, I suspect it was deliberate. It's a safe play. And she avoids the potential high negatives that sometimes come with being too aggressive.

If she were the Presidential candidate, I suspect her approach would have been much different.

I missed this in real time. They just cannot follow the rules.

Also, during the primary debates, I recall Harris getting points for having sharp answers one time, but the next debate with similar points she was panned for being to “shrill” and a bit “nasty”. It’s an almost impossible tight rope for a woman.

This

There is a different standard for men and women. If a woman goes on the attack in a debate she is often seen as less likeable than if a man did precisely the same thing. Gender stereotypes comes into play and I think Harris was very much aware of that. She scored the necessary points without adding fuel to the already "nasty woman" stereotype that the Trump campaign tries to label her as.

She was literally walking a tight robe between getting her pointers in and still come across as likeable even to moderate conservatives

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom