Vice-Presidential Debate (Wednesday, 10/7/2020) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    The VP debate between Pence and Democratic vice presidential nominee Sen. Kamala Harris is slated for Wednesday, Oct. 7 at 9 p.m. ET (6 p.m. PT) at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City.

The debate will run for 90 minutes and comprise nine 10-minute segments with no commercial breaks. Susan Page, USA Today's Washington bureau chief, will moderate. Pence and Harris will be seated for the debate and positioned 12 feet apart.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/vice-presidential-debate-2020-how-to-watch-pence-vs-harris-debate-live/

I feel like I understand you cynicism to a degree. I've been there before myself with our politics and country. But I guess what I really struggle with is that you can't realize or acknowledge that we really are at seminal moment in our nations history. We have seen what Trump has done with 4 years in power. What will happen in the next 4 years if he wins will damage America so severely that we wouldn't be able to recover. The reason the polls are where they are is because people are realizing this.

Joe Biden, for all his faults, offers a fundamentally different path. Yes, there are two sides, but they are not the same. You may not agree with or like either, but one of those sides isn't going to destroy our country in service to his ego.

It's more than cynicism at this point.... It's more like purposeful-self-invoked-laugh-so-I-don't-lose-it, and disbelief in people on both sides of the divide.

Most of us can surmise that Trump is an egomaniacal turd biscuit... we can choose to subscribe (whether or not) if we are on board with his political agenda despite that valid characterization, or that we are 180 the other way on it....

We can convince ourselves that the last 4 years have been the worst ever, and that every second of that is all his fault...

We can also ignore the fact the the American people voted for this self absorbed douche bag to be POTUS - after being completely feed up with decades of people just like Biden (establishment, do-nothing, funded by the uber rich, career politicians) running and killing the country - and rejecting them... character traits/defects not-withstanding.

Or we can ignore that... but if we do... that will only lead to another Trump (or something worse) in the future. We have to think beyond this.

I simply wish people would stop ignoring the big picture and start realizing there is no lesser of 2 evils... Getting bent over by the Left is no better then getting bent over by the Right or vice versa...

And watching / listening to people try to justify this logic... and their reasoning behind it.... is well... sadly comical to me. I guess that's cynical... but it's more than that IMO.

Last edited:
    simply wish people would stop ignoring the big picture and start realizing there is no lesser of 2 evils... Getting bent over by the Left is no better then getting bent over by the Right or vice versa...And watching / listening to people try to justify this logic... and their reasoning behind it.... is well... sadly comical to me.

It's fascinating to me that people can have this take. Almost as fascinating as people with blind support for Trump. Even if you don't agree with the platforms of the left- to remotely compare the two after this Trump/GOP regime indicates a serious flaw in "logic", and the most very basic human reasoning skills.

I simply wish people would stop ignoring the big picture and start realizing there is no lesser of 2 evils... Getting bent over by the Left is no better then getting bent over by the Right or vice versa...
    Blind "both siding" is just as harmful and foolish as blind partisanship.

Oh and by the way, nearly 3 million more Americans didn't vote for Trump than those who did. So the majority of voters and the American people weren't fooled by Trump.

It's fascinating to me that people can have this take. Almost as fascinating as people with blind support for Trump. Even if you don't agree with the platforms of the left- to remotely compare the two after this Trump/GOP regime indicates a serious flaw in "logic", and the most very basic human reasoning skills.

Really?

What's the difference between the same type of career self absorbed lair /cheater / power hungry / special interest / big business money covered "puppet" candidate - one that's loud, abrasive, and obnoxious on the right, and one that's quiet, contradictory, and fake-stately on the left...?

The answer is reality is NONE... The answer in today's political environment is... "he's on my team" - "he tells the lies I like"

Really?

What's the difference between the same type of career self absorbed lair /cheater / power hungry / special interest / big business money covered "puppet" candidate - that's loud, abrasive, and obnoxious on the right, and one that's quiet, contradictory, and stately on the left...?

The answer is reality is NONE... The answer in today's political environment is... "he's on my team".

The difference is that they are not the same. You keep saying they are the same, but they aren't. That's the fundamental flaw in your argument. If I have a twin brother and I cheat on my math tests while he kills people, it's silly to compare the two. It's no different than Trump's, "both sides" argument.

Really?

What's the difference between the same type of career self absorbed lair /cheater / power hungry / special interest / big business money covered "puppet" candidate - one that's loud, abrasive, and obnoxious on the right, and one that's quiet, contradictory, and fake-stately on the left...?

The answer is reality is NONE... The answer in today's political environment is... "he's on my team" - "he tells the lies I like"
    This is laughable.

Blind "both siding" is just as harmful and foolish as blind partisanship.

Oh and by the way, nearly 3 million more Americans didn't vote for Trump than those who did. So the majority of voters and the American people weren't fooled by Trump.

Neither side... Taking a side just to be a part of one is insane.

No need to give me the popular vote spiel... I know how our elections work, and my point stands. There is no need to rehash the EC here.

I have said on many occasions that I am for campaign funding reform - and some type of ranked choice voting and - keeping the EC...

Heck, I'd like to do all the Presidential Primaries like an episode of "The Mask Singer" just to see how things would shake out without all the insanity of picking a side just to belong to a side / team sports politics.

The difference is that they are not the same. You keep saying they are the same, but they aren't. That's the fundamental flaw in your argument. If I have a twin brother and I cheat on my math tests while he kills people, it's silly to compare the two. It's no different than Trump's, "both sides" argument.

So a Biden (in his illustrious 40+ year career as a political shill that has flip flopped on more topics than a landed-trout)... Is not responsible for any decisions/policies that have lead to "killing people".... and is completely innocent (just doing "math")... but the other side holds all the responsibility for every death since 2016... sound about right? Forgive me as a laugh at the ridiculousness of that notion.

So a Biden (in his illustrious 40+ year career as a political shill that has flip flopped on more topics than a landed-trout)... Is not responsible for any decisions/policies that have lead to "killing people".... and is completely innocent (just doing "math")... but the other side holds all the responsibility for every death since 2016... sound about right? Forgive me as a laugh at the ridiculousness of that notion.
    Well yes, that particular straw-man is ridiculous.

No one here is arguing that.

Dude you don’t believe in Covid and you compare a career of 47 years with no actual examples to the guy that stood by and let thousands of Americans die for his political existence and locked kids in cages at the border.

You are the Uber IT guy

The answer in today's political environment is... "he's on my team" - "he tells the lies I like"
    This mistakenly and blindly assumes that everyone is on "a team."

You claim to believe what you believe because you are not on a team, so why assume that just because someone disagrees with you it's because they are on "a team?"

If you think everyone who disagrees with you is doing so just because they are on "a team," then you are being just as blind as you are accusing them of being.

Physician, heal thyself.

It's more than cynicism at this point.... It's more like purposeful-self-invoked-laugh-so-I-don't-lose-it, and disbelief in people on both sides of the divide.

Most of us can surmise that Trump is an egomaniacal turd biscuit... we can choose to subscribe (whether or not) if we are on board with his political agenda despite that valid characterization, or that we are 180 the other way on it....

We can convince ourselves that the last 4 years have been the worst ever, and that every second of that is all his fault...

We can also ignore the fact the the American people voted for this self absorbed douche bag to be POTUS - after being completely feed up with decades of people just like Biden (establishment, do-nothing, funded by the uber rich, career politicians) running and killing the country - and rejecting them... character traits/defects not-withstanding.

Or we can ignore that... but if we do... that will only lead to another Trump (or something worse) in the future. We have to think beyond this.

And watching / listening to people try to justify this logic... and their reasoning behind it.... is well... sadly comical to me. I guess that's cynical... but it's more than that IMO.
    I completely agree with this sentiment but removing Trump is the imperative. The violence he perpetrates on democratic norms compounds on a daily basis. I doubt most people think Biden represents meaningful change, but at least the bleeding will have stopped.

Neither side... Taking a side just to be a part of one is insane.
    You're saying "both sides" are the same and you always do it pointed at those supporting just "one side," so you aren't "neither siding" no matter how much you think you are. There is a definite onesidedness to your "neither side" posts.

No need to give me the popular vote ... I know how our elections work, and my point stands. There is no need to rehash the EC here.
    What I said had nothing to do with a rehashing of anything about the electoral college.

The point you insinuated was that the American people were dumb, blind or naive enough to vote for Trump.

I pointed out that in terms of the actual people who voted for Trump, nearly 3 million more didn't vote for him.

My point was speaking directly toward your false insinuation that the majority of Americans were dumb, blind or naive to enough to vote for Trump. That didn't happen. It's not true and it's never going to be true. It was not most Americans. Your point fails, because it's not true and the electoral college has nothing do to with it.

Most people, including the posters here, are not as dumb, blind or naive as you keep insisting they are.

I don’t believe this. How is time measured? Do they count the time Pence kept speaking after the moderator started trying to stop him? I remember at least one instance that he was given 15 seconds and he says d he needed more time, and went on to speak for at least an extra minute. There were also multiple times that Pence kept speaking for a long time while the moderator was talking. I may go back to watch and measure for myself.

The IT guy has it all figured out. Just like every office I ever ran. Always the IT guy who claims to know what’s wrong but when asked what to do.....crickets.

Everyone else would be so much happier if they would just live like he does. Panning ideas without having any solutions of your own. It’s the IT guy way.

I tell you the IT guy is the smartest and most capable guy in any organization. If only they would listen to him.
    IT guy sounds like a modern day Ignatius J Reilly.

@B4YOU

Not going to lie. I had to look up the reference.

First, thanks for teaching me a new fact - and giving me something to read.

Second, forking hilarious!

Ok, maybe we can start with the fact that Biden != 'the left'. I know that's getting what looks like nitpicky for some, but Biden is essentially an Obama candidate. Centrist in most every regard. Wanting to protect Roe, embracing science etc is just (or should be) a basic concept both parties should agree on and by no means a measuring stick along the 'left vs right' spectrum.

The IT guy has it all figured out. Just like every office I ever ran. Always the IT guy who claims to know what’s wrong but when asked what to do.....crickets.

Everyone else would be so much happier if they would just live like he does. Panning ideas without having any solutions of your own. It’s the IT guy way.

I tell you the IT guy is the smartest and most capable guy in any organization. If only they would listen to him.

Hey i was an IT guy for over 30 years before retiring. I never really saw myself as sanctimonious as some of the other IT guys....maybe because I always kind of liked the team I was on?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom