UK's conservative government doing everything it can to crash the UK's and the world's economy (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

coldseat

Reaction score
    Holy hell Batman! Talk about screwing your own country over. Same thing would happen here if Republicans held both the congress and the presidency.

==============
    LondonCNN Business —
    The UK government’s decision to implement the biggest tax cuts in 50 years while borrowing tens of billions of dollars to subsidize soaring energy costs this winter is a massive gamble that’s sent shockwaves through financial markets.

Since Friday, when finance minister Kwasi Kwarteng formally announced the plans, the British pound has plunged 5% against the US dollar, bringing its total losses so far this year to an eye-popping 21%. The euro, for comparison, is down about 15% against the dollar during the same period.

The turmoil doesn’t end there. Investors have raced to dump UK government bonds as they worry about the extra £72 billion ($77 billion) in borrowing due before April. The yield on 5-year debt, which moves opposite prices, has jumped from about 3.6% to more than 4.4% over the past two trading sessions — an astronomical jump in a corner of the financial universe that typically logs movements in tiny fractions of a percent.
    ===============

Let's try this, instead.

I make a comment about economics and you try to refute it. That way you won't feel compelled to ask some smug, idiotic, yes or no question that you know I won't answer directly.

Sound good?

AhahhaHaHaaa! Nice try.

Let me translate.

"I'm gonna get on my filly here and Gish Gallop all over the place. You follow along and try to keep up with all the horseshite I spew. Sound good?"

Seems like something that's on your phone versus an actual link?
    Yeah, I pulled it from my phone messages which are also on my iPad and tried to post it using my iPad.

I am technologically challenged.

Trump is no more a liar than Biden is. They've both told lies, so keeping a rigid finger pointed at Trump and not Biden is stupid.

Trump is not an insurrectionist. He believes he was cheated in the last election and so do many others, including myself.

Que, Dems eating babies, and the cabal, and the tribunals in 3, 2, 1….Alex…..

At least one of his lawyers and his own chief of staff told him what the actual process was. There’s zero evidence that Trump thought he was following any accepted process. And there’s a not of evidence that Trump intended to take material he had no business having, obfuscated and misled authorities about that material, and then personally took steps to hide it.

Any other view is simply wishful thinking - it’s not supported by reality.
    Trump didn't break any major rules, and he sure as hell didn't keep anything that will turn the country over to our enemies, so the antis have done nothing but waste tax payer dollars.

Trump is going to be your next president, and that's really all that matters at this point.

Then you are gullible and have my sympathies. BTW, I'm not a huge fan of Biden, either, but until the GOP nominates someone who respects political/legal norms and doesn't campaign based solely on culture war issues I will never consider their national candidates.
    I'm just waiting for Terrible Trump to swoop down on the country and eat it whole.

You antis will let me know when that happens, yes?

AhahhaHaHaaa! Nice try.

Let me translate.

"I'm gonna get on my filly here and Gish Gallop all over the place. You follow along and try to keep up with all the horseshite I spew. Sound good?"
    A simple answer would suffice, but I'll understand if that is too complex for you.

Look around @Peace , Biden has made America Great Again. Now you can stop sending so much money to Trump and keep some for yourself, so you don't feel so deflated.

===============
    The United States is riven by polarization, its democracy is threatened, inflation is raging, and the Dow is down sharply this year. Yet, despite all these problems, if you zoom out and look at the world overall, the US is still doing quite well compared to its key enemies and closest allies.

Russia and China – the two nations with which the United States strives most regularly for global influence – have suffered recent dramatic declines in their standing.

By invading Ukraine and failing to achieve its war aims, Russia is demonstrating that it is no longer a great power. After Russian President Vladimir Putin announced a “partial mobilization” for the war in Ukraine last month, around 200,000 Russians voted with their feet and fled their country – including two who sailed to Alaska.

In the early days of the war, Russia failed to take Kyiv, and in recent weeks it has lost some 3,000 square miles of territory, according to Ukrainian officials. Even generally reliable cheerleaders for Putin, such as the Chinese, have distanced themselves from Putin’s failures in Ukraine.

Led by the US, NATO is now stronger than ever, supplying Ukraine with significant amounts of weaponry and bulking up its collective defense spending. NATO is also adding the formerly non-aligned countries of Finland and Sweden to the alliance. While former President Donald Trump kept threatening to pull the US out of NATO, today the alliance has new relevance.

Russia also failed to stop European countries from filling their gas stocks to more than 90% for the coming winter, which reduces President Vladimir Putin’s leverage to weaken NATO’s support for the Ukrainians.

European countries are generally faring better than the UK but still face their own problems. The dollar, which is at a two-decade high against the Euro, remains strong as the Fed raises interest rates and the American economy continues to be the most dynamic in the world. Indeed, the US has the lowest unemployment rate in five decades. And the US is now the world’s largest producer of both gas and oil.

American vaccine technology used by Pfizer and Moderna helped to turn the tide against Covid-19 in the United States and other countries that used these vaccines. By contrast, the Chinese and Russian vaccines have been far less effective against Covid-19.

To be sure, the United States has problems aplenty, including deep political polarization, raging inflation, high inequality, a horrific Covid-19 death toll, shrinking life expectancy, frequent mass shootings, unaffordable housing in many places, and intense battles over abortion. The widespread denial of President Joe Biden’s 2020 election victory among Republicans raises serious questions about the health of the nation’s democracy. Still, in many respects, the US looks much better than much of the rest of the world.

Immigration, which is often treated as a problem by Americans, underlines the continuing attraction of the United States. Meanwhile, hundreds of thousands of Russians have fled their homeland since Putin announced a partial mobilization in the war against Ukraine, and tens of thousands have left Hong Kong after the Chinese takeover of the formerly autonomous city.

To paraphrase Warren Buffett, betting against America has never been a smart move.
    =================

Inflation makes America great.

-- The Left

Then you are flat out a liar. No evidence, lost lawsuits, idiot lawyers. All you got is a serial liar saying it.
    Plus millions of his supporters saying it as well. Just because filthy liars were able to hide the fact that they stole the election doesn't mean that it didn't happen. Courts are full of cold cases. We just need to keep digging and make sure it doesn't happen again.
    Talk about hivemind gullible.
    I have been, and the liberals are the only hivemind in this country.

Plus millions of his supporters saying it as well.

Argumentum ad populum. Large numbers of people believing something is not evidence for truth. If 100 million people believe that X is true but 101 million don't believe that X is true, does that make X true or not true?

Just because filthy liars were able to hide the fact that they stole the election doesn't mean that it didn't happen. Courts are full of cold cases. We just need to keep digging and make sure it doesn't happen again.

By this logic, every election in US history was stolen. Is that what you believe?

Argumentum ad populum. Large numbers of people believing something is not evidence for truth. If 100 million people believe that X is true but 101 million don't believe that X is true, does that make X true or not true?
    That still doesn't quell the suspicions, so you're out of luck there.
    By this logic, every election in US history was stolen. Is that what you believe?
    Nope. I never once argued the validity of Clinton's or Obama's wins.

But this one? It's suspicious as hell.

I have no doubt you believe that with ever ounce of your being. You couldn't be more wrong.
    Every ounce? lol

No, what I believe is that leftists hate Donald Trump with every ounce of their being and they would rather see America go down the toilet than see Donald Trump free from prison or the firing squad.

That still doesn't quell the suspicions, so you're out of luck there.

Nope. I never once argued the validity of Clinton's or Obama's wins.

But this one? It's suspicious as hell.

Really?

See, what I can't figure out is this. Trump was whining about election fraud for months before the election. In fact, he never stopped whining about it because he got curbstomped by the popular vote in 2016. So no less a figure than the President of the United States was watching this election like a hawk, yet (according to him) massive fraud occurred. How? He was in charge and looking right at it. Like a rent-a-cop watching burglars walk off with a 70" TV. Hell, hundreds of 70" TVs, one after another.

And then, once he'd lost, he filed no less than fifty lawsuits. Again, this is someone with all the resources of an alleged billionaire AND the President and he lost every one. At no point did the Kraken, Flopsweat Rudy or any of his other lawyers produce a single piece of evidence in court. Not ONCE.

If you buy the Big Lie, Trump let it happen right under his nose and couldn't do a damn thing about it before or after. Which, given the massive advantage in money and power he enjoyed, makes him the most incompetent boob on the planet.

If you don't buy the Big Lie, he's still a feckless twit, but for different reasons. If you're a Trump supporter but you accept that he lost fair and square, you've got to wonder why. Covid was reelection giftwrapped on a silver platter and all Trump did was eat the box. If he'd been able to put aside his cowardice and vanity for just ten minutes, he'd have realized that the one thing that unites all Americans is an outside threat. He knew in January (according to his own words) that Covid was coming and it'd be nasty, but like a frightened child, he curled up in a ball and pretended it wasn't real. He could have come out saying Covid's on the way, but if we work together, follow the science, hunker down and do all we can not to infect each other, we'll get a vaccine as soon as humanly possible. It'll be free and once we have universal immunization, the threat will be all but eliminated. He'd have won going away. But he's too weak, too craven to lead like that. So instead we got "It's a hoax from the Democrats" to "It'll be gone by April, like magic." "Bleach! Yeah, bleach could work, maybe UV light?" to "If we don't report the infections, they didn't happen." Meanwhile, hundreds of thousands died who didn't have to. He's the Mrs O'Leary's cow of Presidents.

Of course, it goes without saying what reasonable people think of him. Eighty million of us made that crystal clear.

Why then does anyone of any political stripe listen to a damn thing he says?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom