Truth Cops: Leaked Documents Outline DHS Plan To Police Disinformation (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SaintForLife

Reaction score

THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY is quietly broadening its efforts to curb speech it considers dangerous, an investigation by The Intercept has found. Years of internal DHS memos, emails, and documents — obtained via leaks and an ongoing lawsuit, as well as public documents — illustrate an expansive effort by the agency to influence tech platforms.

The work, much of which remains unknown to the American public, came into clearer view earlier this year when DHS announced a new “Disinformation Governance Board”: a panel designed to police misinformation (false information spread unintentionally), disinformation (false information spread intentionally), and malinformation (factual information shared, typically out of context, with harmful intent) that allegedly threatens U.S. interests. While the board was widely ridiculed, immediately scaled back, and then shut down within a few months, other initiatives are underway as DHS pivots to monitoring social media now that its original mandate — the war on terror — has been wound down.

Behind closed doors, and through pressure on private platforms, the U.S. government has used its power to try to shape online discourse. According to meeting minutes and other records appended to a lawsuit filed by Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt, a Republican who is also running for Senate, discussions have ranged from the scale and scope of government intervention in online discourse to the mechanics of streamlining takedown requests for false or intentionally misleading information.

“Platforms have got to get comfortable with gov’t. It’s really interesting how hesitant they remain,” Microsoft executive Matt Masterson, a former DHS official, texted Jen Easterly, a DHS director, in February.

In a March meeting, Laura Dehmlow, an FBI official, warned that the threat of subversive information on social media could undermine support for the U.S. government. Dehmlow, according to notes of the discussion attended by senior executives from Twitter and JPMorgan Chase, stressed that “we need a media infrastructure that is held accountable.”

Key Takeaways
    • Though DHS shuttered its controversial Disinformation Governance Board, a strategic document reveals the underlying work is ongoing.
    • DHS plans to target inaccurate information on “the origins of the COVID-19 pandemic and the efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines, racial justice, U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, and the nature of U.S. support to Ukraine.”
    • Facebook created a special portal for DHS and government partners to report disinformation directly.

-The work is primarily done by CISA, a DHS sub-agency tasked with protecting critical national infrastructure.

-DHS, the FBI, and several media entities are having biweekly meetings as recently as August.
    DHS considered countering disinformation relating to content that undermines trust in financial systems and courts.

-The FBI agent who primed social media platforms to take down the Hunter Biden laptop story continued to have a role in DHS policy discussions.

...In retrospect, the New York Post reporting on the contents of Hunter Biden’s laptop ahead of the 2020 election provides an elucidating case study of how this works in an increasingly partisan environment.

Much of the public ignored the reporting or assumed it was false, as over 50 former intelligence officials charged that the laptop story was a creation of a “Russian disinformation” campaign. The mainstream media was primed by allegations of election interference in 2016 — and, to be sure, Trump did attempt to use the laptop to disrupt the Biden campaign. Twitter ended up banning links to the New York Post’s report on the contents of the laptop during the crucial weeks leading up to the election. Facebook also throttled users’ ability to view the story.

In recent months, a clearer picture of the government’s influence has emerged.

In an appearance on Joe Rogan’s podcast in August, Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg revealed that Facebook had limited sharing of the New York Post’s reporting after a conversation with the FBI. “The background here is that the FBI came to us — some folks on our team — and was like, ‘Hey, just so you know, you should be on high alert that there was a lot of Russian propaganda in the 2016 election,’” Zuckerberg told Rogan. The FBI told them, Zuckerberg said, that “‘We have it on notice that basically there’s about to be some kind of dump.’” When the Post’s story came out in October 2020, Facebook thought it “fit that pattern” the FBI had told them to look out for.

Zuckerberg said he regretted the decision, as did Jack Dorsey, the CEO of Twitter at the time. Despite claims that the laptop’s contents were forged, the Washington Post confirmed that at least some of the emails on the laptop were authentic. The New York Times authenticated emails from the laptop — many of which were cited in the original New York Post reporting from October 2020 — that prosecutors have examined as part of the Justice Department’s probe into whether the president’s son violated the law on a range of issues, including money laundering, tax-related offenses, and foreign lobbying registration.

Documents filed in federal court as part of a lawsuit by the attorneys general of Missouri and Louisiana add a layer of new detail to Zuckerberg’s anecdote, revealing that officials leading the push to expand the government’s reach into disinformation also played a quiet role in shaping the decisions of social media giants around the New York Post story.

I mean…it would be different if Twitter actually favored conservatives, right?

All social media favors right wing accounts algorithmically. It’s pretty well documented. Just look at FB or YouTube’s top traffic lists sometime. 80-90% right wing extremists.

So, either 80-90% of the people using social media are right wing extremists or their algorithms are boosting right wing content.

We objectively know that 80-90% of FB or YouTube users aren’t RW extremists, so it’s not too hard to draw the dotted line here.

I'm so surprised that you guys have been ignoring the Twitter files/sarcasm off.

I saw this interesting nugget today:

Habitual liar Adam Schiff wanted and probably got a journalist suspended from Twitter.

I'm so surprised that you guys have been ignoring the Twitter files/sarcasm off.

I saw this interesting nugget today:

Habitual liar Adam Schiff wanted and probably got a journalist suspended from Twitter.

You only care because your preferred liars are saying it. You supremely don’t care about general corruption at all if it’s right wingers doing it. Habitual liar Matt is not worth paying any attention to, this whole story is being completely manipulated by Musk and his minions, which includes several of these folks who are kissing his arse.

The ”files” being released are totally cherry-picked and even then don’t show what your favored liars say they do. You are clowning yourself over this “story”.

You only care because your preferred liars are saying it. You supremely don’t care about general corruption at all if it’s right wingers doing it. Habitual liar Matt is not worth paying any attention to, this whole story is being completely manipulated by Musk and his minions, which includes several of these folks who are kissing his arse.

The ”files” being released are totally cherry-picked and even then don’t show what your favored liars say they do. You are clowning yourself over this “story”.
    I see you have your Democrat talking points handy. Twitter has been exposed as doing just about anything that the FBI and the security state wanted like banning accounts. You will have a hard time defending this, but I know you will do your best.

Last edited:
    I see you have your Democrat talking points handy. Twitter has been exposed as doing just about anything that the FBI and the security state wanted like banning accounts. You will have a hard time defending this, but I know you will do your best.
    No, it really hasn’t. What we are missing is the whole story. Nobody is seeing anything that Musk doesn’t release and Matty has admitted he had to make certain concessions to Musk, which he refused to specify to see these cherry-picked files. Which no reputable journalist would ever do.

For example, what did Trump ask of Twitter and what was Twitter‘s response? We know there were asks, but we have total radio silence on exact facts. You can tell Matty isn’t really interested in telling the whole story here, all he wants is to present a narrative.

You can call the truth talking points all you want. It just emphasizes you are hopelessly lost in your own partisan bubble.

Twitter has the absolute right to do what it wants. Musk can certainly lie by omission if he wants. But people should be smart enough to realize what he is doing and not buy into the BS that Matty and his ilk are trying to sell. He’s shameless.

I can't stand Bongino or Kirk, but Twitter was doing exactly what they claimed they weren't doing.

Here’s a question that Matty doesn’t address. He says that the account of Sperry was suspended later as if merely stating that proves it was in response to Schiff’s office. Well, that isn’t good enough.

When was that account suspended? How long after the email? What was the account suspended for?

Matty does this all the damn time. He implies something happened for nefarious reasons, and when people actually follow up, like a real journalist would naturally do, they find out other reasons and the event didn’t happen as Matty says.

I can't stand Bongino or Kirk, but Twitter was doing exactly what they claimed they weren't doing.

And guess what? Musk is continuing to do these things. On his own whims now, as opposed to what Twitter used to do, which was follow their own guidelines.

As I keep saying - Twitter has every right to conduct their business as they damn well please.

No, it really hasn’t. What we are missing is the whole story. Nobody is seeing anything that Musk doesn’t release and Matty has admitted he had to make certain concessions to Musk, which he refused to specify to see these cherry-picked files. Which no reputable journalist would ever do.

For example, what did Trump ask of Twitter and what was Twitter‘s response? We know there were asks, but we have total radio silence on exact facts. You can tell Matty isn’t really interested in telling the whole story here, all he wants is to present a narrative.

You can call the truth talking points all you want. It just emphasizes you are hopelessly lost in your own partisan bubble.

Twitter has the absolute right to do what it wants. Musk can certainly lie by omission if he wants. But people should be smart enough to realize what he is doing and not buy into the BS that Matty and his ilk are trying to sell. He’s shameless.
    Later today, an annotated version of last night’s “Twitter Files” thread on the removal of Donald Trump, along with new commentary on what’s been published so far, will appear here on TK. After a crazy week, during which I’ve been in the unnatural position of feeling a need to keep quiet, I can get back to writing as usual on this site. More importantly, I can now explain some things to TK subscribers, not only about the events of the last week, but about where the Twitter project stands and where it may be going. But first, a few words about what’s happened to date:

The “Twitter Files” story came together quickly. In fact, things happened so fast that the note I wrote to you all last week just before publishing the first thread represented the first real pause across four frantic days of traveling, writing, and reporting. The timeline will show I participated in the Munk debates in Canada two Wednesdays ago: after, I slept for a few hours, had a hotel wake-up call at 2:45 a.m., and flew to San Francisco. There, I spent a day at Twitter digging through the first data set, got on a redeye back to New Jersey, stepped off the plane and immediately started writing. In the rush to get all this done, I chose words poorly. A lot has been made about the line about how I “had to agree to certain conditions” to work on the story. I wrote that assuming the meaning of that line would be obvious. It was obvious. Still, the language was just loose enough to give critics room to make mischief, and the stakes being what they are, they of course did. That’s on me, and a lesson going forward. For the record, the deal was access to the Twitter documents, but I had to publish on Twitter. I also agreed to an attribution (“Sources at Twitter”). That’s it.

In regards to Trump, Taibbi said he was told their were requests from the Trump administration to Twitter, but they haven't found them yet. If he was trying to only tell one side, why would say there were requests by the Trump administration?

Last edited:
    And guess what? Musk is continuing to do these things. On his own whims now, as opposed to what Twitter used to do, which was follow their own guidelines.

As I keep saying - Twitter has every right to conduct their business as they damn well please.
    What do you think about Schiff calling for a conservative journalist to be banned from Twitter and other posts and accounts to be removed because they were criticizing one of his staffers?

Later today, an annotated version of last night’s “Twitter Files” thread on the removal of Donald Trump, along with new commentary on what’s been published so far, will appear here on TK. After a crazy week, during which I’ve been in the unnatural position of feeling a need to keep quiet, I can get back to writing as usual on this site. More importantly, I can now explain some things to TK subscribers, not only about the events of the last week, but about where the Twitter project stands and where it may be going. But first, a few words about what’s happened to date:

The “Twitter Files” story came together quickly. In fact, things happened so fast that the note I wrote to you all last week just before publishing the first thread represented the first real pause across four frantic days of traveling, writing, and reporting. The timeline will show I participated in the Munk debates in Canada two Wednesdays ago: after, I slept for a few hours, had a hotel wake-up call at 2:45 a.m., and flew to San Francisco. There, I spent a day at Twitter digging through the first data set, got on a redeye back to New Jersey, stepped off the plane and immediately started writing. In the rush to get all this done, I chose words poorly. A lot has been made about the line about how I “had to agree to certain conditions” to work on the story. I wrote that assuming the meaning of that line would be obvious. It was obvious. Still, the language was just loose enough to give critics room to make mischief, and the stakes being what they are, they of course did. That’s on me, and a lesson going forward. For the record, the deal was access to the Twitter documents, but I had to publish on Twitter. I also agreed to an attribution (“Sources at Twitter”). That’s it.

In regards to Trump, Taibbi said he was told their were requests from the Trump administration to Twitter, but they haven't found them yet. If he was trying to only tell one side, why would say there were requests by the Trump administration?
    Because he couldn’t deny it, they were referenced in the material he was given.

What do you think about Schiff calling for a conservative journalist to be banned from Twitter and other posts and accounts to be removed because they were criticizing one of his staffers?
    What did the journalist do? Schiff can ask Twitter to ban somebody. Hell, I can report people too. Did Schiff use anything in his official capacity to threaten Twitter if they didn’t act on his request?

We don’t even know what the account did to finally be suspended, nor how much time elapsed after Schiff complained about the account before the account was suspended. Why are you so willing to assume all these things are connected with zero proof? (Hint: it’s called confirmation bias)

The study was conducted by Twitter. Would you believe a study from an oil company about global warming?
    Yeah, I misread initially. However, from what we have seen Twitter used to follow its own protocols, or at least made an honest attempt to follow them. They conducted the study in response to criticism, and if they were really trying to whitewash things they would have found that they didn’t favor either side.

It’s hardly a secret that the algorithms in use by most social media companies favor right wing content. It’s been studied and proven many times. It’s been discussed for years.

Here’s a question that Matty doesn’t address. He says that the account of Sperry was suspended later as if merely stating that proves it was in response to Schiff’s office. Well, that isn’t good enough.

When was that account suspended? How long after the email? What was the account suspended for?

Matty does this all the damn time. He implies something happened for nefarious reasons, and when people actually follow up, like a real journalist would naturally do, they find out other reasons and the event didn’t happen as Matty says.
    Like a real journalist? Really? I understand you are trying to discredit him in any way you can like calling him Matty somehow diminishes him as a journalist. That's all that can be done because what's been revealed has been pretty damning unless you are okay with the US security state and US politicians pressuring social media companies to restrict, ban, censor online views of american citizens they don't like.

From what I've read there are Supreme Court cases that have said the government can't pressure private entities to restrict US citizens 1st ammendment rights.

What you read is wrong.

If what you read was right, Trump would be in prison for his “perfect phone” call with Zelenskyy”

The amendment says the “government shall make no law…”

Here even if that Schiff comment is 100% accurate, unless he did it in his Senatorial capacity and threatened them with reprisal, it is just another citizen making a request. No matter how much Techno Fog or Undercover Huber say otherwise.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom