Truth Cops: Leaked Documents Outline DHS Plan To Police Disinformation (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SaintForLife

Reaction score

THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY is quietly broadening its efforts to curb speech it considers dangerous, an investigation by The Intercept has found. Years of internal DHS memos, emails, and documents — obtained via leaks and an ongoing lawsuit, as well as public documents — illustrate an expansive effort by the agency to influence tech platforms.

The work, much of which remains unknown to the American public, came into clearer view earlier this year when DHS announced a new “Disinformation Governance Board”: a panel designed to police misinformation (false information spread unintentionally), disinformation (false information spread intentionally), and malinformation (factual information shared, typically out of context, with harmful intent) that allegedly threatens U.S. interests. While the board was widely ridiculed, immediately scaled back, and then shut down within a few months, other initiatives are underway as DHS pivots to monitoring social media now that its original mandate — the war on terror — has been wound down.

Behind closed doors, and through pressure on private platforms, the U.S. government has used its power to try to shape online discourse. According to meeting minutes and other records appended to a lawsuit filed by Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt, a Republican who is also running for Senate, discussions have ranged from the scale and scope of government intervention in online discourse to the mechanics of streamlining takedown requests for false or intentionally misleading information.

“Platforms have got to get comfortable with gov’t. It’s really interesting how hesitant they remain,” Microsoft executive Matt Masterson, a former DHS official, texted Jen Easterly, a DHS director, in February.

In a March meeting, Laura Dehmlow, an FBI official, warned that the threat of subversive information on social media could undermine support for the U.S. government. Dehmlow, according to notes of the discussion attended by senior executives from Twitter and JPMorgan Chase, stressed that “we need a media infrastructure that is held accountable.”

Key Takeaways
    • Though DHS shuttered its controversial Disinformation Governance Board, a strategic document reveals the underlying work is ongoing.
    • DHS plans to target inaccurate information on “the origins of the COVID-19 pandemic and the efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines, racial justice, U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, and the nature of U.S. support to Ukraine.”
    • Facebook created a special portal for DHS and government partners to report disinformation directly.

-The work is primarily done by CISA, a DHS sub-agency tasked with protecting critical national infrastructure.

-DHS, the FBI, and several media entities are having biweekly meetings as recently as August.
    DHS considered countering disinformation relating to content that undermines trust in financial systems and courts.

-The FBI agent who primed social media platforms to take down the Hunter Biden laptop story continued to have a role in DHS policy discussions.

...In retrospect, the New York Post reporting on the contents of Hunter Biden’s laptop ahead of the 2020 election provides an elucidating case study of how this works in an increasingly partisan environment.

Much of the public ignored the reporting or assumed it was false, as over 50 former intelligence officials charged that the laptop story was a creation of a “Russian disinformation” campaign. The mainstream media was primed by allegations of election interference in 2016 — and, to be sure, Trump did attempt to use the laptop to disrupt the Biden campaign. Twitter ended up banning links to the New York Post’s report on the contents of the laptop during the crucial weeks leading up to the election. Facebook also throttled users’ ability to view the story.

In recent months, a clearer picture of the government’s influence has emerged.

In an appearance on Joe Rogan’s podcast in August, Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg revealed that Facebook had limited sharing of the New York Post’s reporting after a conversation with the FBI. “The background here is that the FBI came to us — some folks on our team — and was like, ‘Hey, just so you know, you should be on high alert that there was a lot of Russian propaganda in the 2016 election,’” Zuckerberg told Rogan. The FBI told them, Zuckerberg said, that “‘We have it on notice that basically there’s about to be some kind of dump.’” When the Post’s story came out in October 2020, Facebook thought it “fit that pattern” the FBI had told them to look out for.

Zuckerberg said he regretted the decision, as did Jack Dorsey, the CEO of Twitter at the time. Despite claims that the laptop’s contents were forged, the Washington Post confirmed that at least some of the emails on the laptop were authentic. The New York Times authenticated emails from the laptop — many of which were cited in the original New York Post reporting from October 2020 — that prosecutors have examined as part of the Justice Department’s probe into whether the president’s son violated the law on a range of issues, including money laundering, tax-related offenses, and foreign lobbying registration.

Documents filed in federal court as part of a lawsuit by the attorneys general of Missouri and Louisiana add a layer of new detail to Zuckerberg’s anecdote, revealing that officials leading the push to expand the government’s reach into disinformation also played a quiet role in shaping the decisions of social media giants around the New York Post story.

Like a real journalist? Really? I understand you are trying to discredit him in any way you can like calling him Matty somehow diminishes him as a journalist. That's all that can be done because what's been revealed has been pretty damning unless you are okay with the US security state and US politicians pressuring social media companies to restrict, ban, censor online views of american citizens they don't like.

From what I've read there are Supreme Court cases that have said the government can't pressure private entities to restrict US citizens 1st ammendment rights.
    You really don’t understand what the First Amendment says. And you’re unable to critically read what was revealed. What pressure was applied? How was Twitter pressured? What were the consequences?

You really don’t understand what the First Amendment says. And you’re unable to critically read what was revealed. What pressure was applied? How was Twitter pressured? What were the consequences?
    In response to you saying it was never about Russian ads on social media & that it was really about influence in the other thread, I'll post some things. They address how Twitter had trouble finding evidence that the accounts that the government wanted taken down were Russian accounts or linked to Russia. Also Twitter and Facebook were pressured by the Democrats in Congress who kept making them testify and threatened legislation if they didn't censor more:

Oh good lord, SFL. You just have got to stop reading these guys. They are not honest actors in this matter and you shouldn’t ever take anything they say as fact. They have definite axes to grind with news media and it shows.

Influence works incrementally at first, then exponentially as it reaches a tipping point. It spreads over networks of people. Only very few of these people would in fact be Russian, and almost none would be openly Russian. It is essentially weaponizing conspiracy theories. Planting the ones you want to see popularized in order to tear this country apart.

You really expect that Russian covert operations would openly use Russian accounts? Please, this is patently ridiculous. These are psyops. That’s like saying the CIA operates out in the open in offices labeled “CIA”.

Taibbi is definitely not being honest here. He is seeing what he wants to see. He knows better and is trying to mislead.

HAPPY 4th of JULY! And LOOK here!

A judge just ruled the government can...
    1) NO LONGER CENSOR YOU
    2) NO LONGER FLAG YOUR POSTS
    3) NO LONGER DICTATE SOCIAL MEDIA POLICIES
    4) NO LONGER COMMUNICATE WITH THESE COMPANIES TO CENSOR YOU
    5) NO LONGER WORK WITH THE EIP, the virality project, Stanford Internet Observatory
    6) NO LONGER THREATEN these companies
    7) NO MORE BOLOs!
    ... and more!

A great day for justice. But not only that... the judge named names and institutions!

DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES (“HHS”)
    THE NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF ALLERGY AND INFECTIOUS DISEASES (“NIAID”)
    XAVIER BECERRA, Secretary of HHS
    DR. HUGH AUCHINCLOSS, Director of NIAID
    YOLANDA BYRD, HHS Digital Engagement Team
    CHRISTY CHOI, HHS Office of Communications
    ASHLEY MORSE, HHS Director of Digital Engagement
    JOSHUA PECK, HHS Deputy Assistant Secretary
    SURGEON GENERAL VIVEK H. MURTHY
    KATHARINE DEALY, Chief Engagement Officer for the Surgeon General
    CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION (“CDC”)
    CAROL Y. CRAWFORD, Chief of the Digital
    JAY DEMPSEY, Social-media Team Leader
    KATE GALATAS, CDC Deputy Communications Director
    UNITED STATES CENSUS BUREAU (“Census Bureau”)
    JENNIFER SHOPKORN, Census Bureau Senior Advisor for Communications
    FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION (“FBI”)
    ELVIS M. CHAN, Supervisory Special Agent of Squad CY-1 in the FBI San Francisco Division
    THE UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
    KARINE JEAN-PIERRE, Counsel to the President
    STUART F. DELERY, White House Partnerships Manager
    AISHA SHAH, Special Assistant to the President
    SARAH BERAN, MINA HSIANG, Administrator of the United States Digital Service within the Office of Management and Budget
    ALI ZAIDI, White House National Climate Advisor
    DORI SALCIDO, White House COVID-19 Director of Strategic Communications and Engagement
    LAUREN PROTENTIS
    GEOFFREY HALE
    ALLISON SNELL
    BRIAN SCULLY, Officials of CISA
    UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY (“DHS”)
    ALEJANDRO MAYORKAS, Secretary of DHS
    ROBERT SILVERS, Under-Secretary of the Office of Strategy, Policy and Plans;
    SAMANTHA VINOGRAD, Senior Counselor for National Security in the Official of the Secretary for DHS,
    UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF STATE (“State Department”)
    LEAH BRAY, Acting Coordinator of the State Department’s Global Engagement Center (“GEC”)
    ALEX FRISBIE, State Department Senior Technical Advisor
    DANIEL KIMMAGE, Acting Coordinator of the GEC…

This order is very likely to be overturned on appeal. It seems to be overly broad:

HAPPY 4th of JULY! And LOOK here!

A judge just ruled the government can...
    1) NO LONGER CENSOR YOU
    2) NO LONGER FLAG YOUR POSTS
    3) NO LONGER DICTATE SOCIAL MEDIA POLICIES
    4) NO LONGER COMMUNICATE WITH THESE COMPANIES TO CENSOR YOU
    5) NO LONGER WORK WITH THE EIP, the virality project, Stanford Internet Observatory
    6) NO LONGER THREATEN these companies
    7) NO MORE BOLOs!
    ... and more!

A great day for justice. But not only that... the judge named names and institutions!

DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES (“HHS”)
    THE NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF ALLERGY AND INFECTIOUS DISEASES (“NIAID”)
    XAVIER BECERRA, Secretary of HHS
    DR. HUGH AUCHINCLOSS, Director of NIAID
    YOLANDA BYRD, HHS Digital Engagement Team
    CHRISTY CHOI, HHS Office of Communications
    ASHLEY MORSE, HHS Director of Digital Engagement
    JOSHUA PECK, HHS Deputy Assistant Secretary
    SURGEON GENERAL VIVEK H. MURTHY
    KATHARINE DEALY, Chief Engagement Officer for the Surgeon General
    CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION (“CDC”)
    CAROL Y. CRAWFORD, Chief of the Digital
    JAY DEMPSEY, Social-media Team Leader
    KATE GALATAS, CDC Deputy Communications Director
    UNITED STATES CENSUS BUREAU (“Census Bureau”)
    JENNIFER SHOPKORN, Census Bureau Senior Advisor for Communications
    FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION (“FBI”)
    ELVIS M. CHAN, Supervisory Special Agent of Squad CY-1 in the FBI San Francisco Division
    THE UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
    KARINE JEAN-PIERRE, Counsel to the President
    STUART F. DELERY, White House Partnerships Manager
    AISHA SHAH, Special Assistant to the President
    SARAH BERAN, MINA HSIANG, Administrator of the United States Digital Service within the Office of Management and Budget
    ALI ZAIDI, White House National Climate Advisor
    DORI SALCIDO, White House COVID-19 Director of Strategic Communications and Engagement
    LAUREN PROTENTIS
    GEOFFREY HALE
    ALLISON SNELL
    BRIAN SCULLY, Officials of CISA
    UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY (“DHS”)
    ALEJANDRO MAYORKAS, Secretary of DHS
    ROBERT SILVERS, Under-Secretary of the Office of Strategy, Policy and Plans;
    SAMANTHA VINOGRAD, Senior Counselor for National Security in the Official of the Secretary for DHS,
    UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF STATE (“State Department”)
    LEAH BRAY, Acting Coordinator of the State Department’s Global Engagement Center (“GEC”)
    ALEX FRISBIE, State Department Senior Technical Advisor
    DANIEL KIMMAGE, Acting Coordinator of the GEC…

So what you are saying is that if Chrissy Teagen posts something that hurts the President's feelings, he can't try to have her post removed?

So what you are saying is that if Chrissy Teagen posts something that hurts the President's feelings, he can't try to have her post removed?
    It's hilarious that you guys always cite the one instance we know about where Trump got something censored(which was wrong) while ignoring the many instances of censorship under Biden.

Here's 25 examples of what many around here claimed never happened:

Last edited:
    It's hilarious that you guys always cite the one instance we know about where Trump got something censored(which was wrong) while ignoring the many instances of censorship under Biden.

Here's 25 examples of what many around here claimed never happened:

Sorry, when i click that tweet, all i see is the tweet you posted here, i can't see the examples.

It might just be because Elon has done such a great job of running twitter that I can't see replies.

This order is very likely to be overturned on appeal. It seems to be overly broad:

The Biden administration appealed so they could continue with their censorship efforts. Let that sink in. First ammendment? Who cares about that right? It's all about protecting people from "misinformation." Who are the authoritarians?

Yes I did expect that. You support censorship and authoritarianism.

I do support censorship. I think the public is stupid and needs a nanny.

If they were trying to censor mean tweets about the president, i would have a problem, but that was the last administration.

I do support censorship. I think the public is stupid and needs a nanny.
    You're saying the quiet part out loud. I wish more of you were this honest, but that would not do for the cause.
    If they were trying to censor mean tweets about the president, i would have a problem, but that was the last administration.
    I can say that Trump was wrong to ask Twitter to remove the tweet.

But you can never say that the FBI is wrong to collude with social media to censor America.

That's the difference between supporting a politician because he puts America first, and being in a cult which does not allow the slightest dissent.

You're saying the quiet part out loud. I wish more of you were this honest, but that would not do for the cause.

I can say that Trump was wrong to ask Twitter to remove the tweet.

But you can never say that the FBI is wrong to collude with social media to censor America.

That's the difference between supporting a politician because he puts America first, and being in a cult which does not allow the slightest dissent.

You are the one calling it the quiet part.

I don't think it should be quiet at all. The government should be responsible for policing misinformation. it should be a basic function of the government.

I can't tell you that my tonic will cure all of your diseases and sell you a glass of water. The government should stop me from doing that.

We aren't talking about censoring unpopular opinions.

You are the one calling it the quiet part.

I don't think it should be quiet at all. The government should be responsible for policing misinformation. it should be a basic function of the government.
    You should address that to progressives and Biden supporters. And to Biden. It was he who backed down on the idea of policing disinformation, once the public realized what he was doing.
    I can't tell you that my tonic will cure all of your diseases and sell you a glass of water. The government should stop me from doing that.

We aren't talking about censoring unpopular opinions.
    We are talking about information that the government does not want us to see being removed at the behest of government agents.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom