Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

No charges
    ===========

WASHINGTON (AP) — Federal prosecutors will not charge a police officer who shot and killed a woman as she climbed through the broken part of a door during the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

Authorities had considered for months whether criminal charges were appropriate for the Capitol Police officer who fatally shot Ashli Babbitt, a 35-year-old Air Force veteran from San Diego. The Justice Department’s decision, though expected, officially closes out the investigation.........

Really surprised it took this long.

No charges
    ===========

WASHINGTON (AP) — Federal prosecutors will not charge a police officer who shot and killed a woman as she climbed through the broken part of a door during the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

Authorities had considered for months whether criminal charges were appropriate for the Capitol Police officer who fatally shot Ashli Babbitt, a 35-year-old Air Force veteran from San Diego. The Justice Department’s decision, though expected, officially closes out the investigation.........

Not surprising. And right imo.

good article
    ============

WASHINGTON (AP) — From a secure room in the Capitol on Jan. 6, as rioters pummeled police and vandalized the building, Vice President Mike Pence tried to assert control. In an urgent phone call to the acting defense secretary, he issued a startling demand.

“Clear the Capitol,” Pence said.

Elsewhere in the building, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi were making a similarly dire appeal to military leaders, asking the Army to deploy the National Guard.

“We need help,” Schumer, D-N.Y., said in desperation, more than an hour after the Senate chamber had been breached.

At the Pentagon, officials were discussing media reports that the mayhem was not confined to Washington and that other state capitals were facing similar violence in what had the makings of a national insurrection.

“We must establish order,” said Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, in a call with Pentagon leaders.

But order would not be restored for hours.

These new details about the deadly riot are contained in a previously undisclosed document prepared by the Pentagon for internal use that was obtained by The Associated Press and vetted by current and former government officials..........

At about 4:40 p.m. Pelosi and Schumer were again on the phone with Milley and the Pentagon leadership, asking Miller to secure the perimeter.

But the acrimony was becoming obvious.

The congressional leadership on the call “accuses the National Security apparatus of knowing that protestors planned to conduct an assault on the Capitol,” the timeline said.

Honestly, how could the National Security apparatus not have known about the plan when I did? When any and every person who has an internet connection could read the posts of the Trump clan making plans to attack the Capitol if Pence didn't stop the count? I mean, Parler's entire existence was to provide the insurrectionists a place to discuss their plans without the distraction of normal people telling them they were crazy.

certainly an interesting take this ' congressional set up' angle

and irrelevant, it's not just what trump said on the 6th that riled up the crowd, the only reason the crowd was there in the first place was due what he had been saying for months prior to the election
    ==================================

..........It comes after some Capitol Police officers were rebuked for their conduct on the day of the attack and the department was criticised over its failure to fully prepare despite receiving intelligence that far-right extremists were planning on carrying out violence that day.

Scott said that the report reveals details that the public were already aware of, such as that the January 6 insurrection was pre-planned.

If that was the case, he argued, Trump cannot be blamed for inciting the riots with his speech in Washington D.C. that day, which proceeded several weeks of him falsely claiming he lost a "rigged" election because of widespread voter fraud.

"The New York Times just confirmed what we all knew, that the Capitol riots were pre-planned," Scott said. "The Capitol riots were pre-planned, and that they knew days in advance that it was coming.

"The Capitol Police were told to hold back on the response, they were given a stand down order. This was no coup, it was no insurrection, it was no attempt to overturn the election. They were told to stand down.

"It was a setup," Scott added. "It was a setup for those congressmen and senators who hated Donald Trump, to have another impeachment hearing to try to prevent him from ever being able to hold public office again."...........

Pastor Darrell Scott Claims Capitol Riot Was Congress 'Set Up' to Impeach Donald Trump (msn.com)

So, apparently, the officer (Sicknick) who died during the Capitol attack on the 6th died of natural causes, according to the findings of the medical examiner. Doesn't change the consequences for people who assaulted officers and broke into the Capitol though.

Wouldn't surprise me if he suffered a heart attack or something during the attack.

So, apparently, the officer (Sicknick) who died during the Capitol attack on the 6th died of natural causes, according to the findings of the medical examiner. Doesn't change the consequences for people who assaulted officers and broke into the Capitol though.

Wouldn't surprise me if he suffered a heart attack or something during the attack.
    It potentially changes the consequences for anyone who otherwise might've been charged in his death. Everyone except bad faith right wingers on twitter still seems comfortable with the notion that Sicknick wouldn't have died but for the Capitol attacks, but I'd expect it to be much harder for prosecutors to meet the criminal burden of proof for homicide-type charges if the connexity between their actions and his death is even slightly attenuated. I'd still rather be on his side of a civil case against the attackers he engaged with directly assuming they can be clearly identified.

p
    It potentially changes the consequences for anyone who otherwise might've been charged in his death. Everyone except bad faith right wingers on twitter still seems comfortable with the notion that Sicknick wouldn't have died but for the Capitol attacks, but I'd expect it to be much harder for prosecutors to meet the criminal burden of proof for homicide-type charges if the connexity between their actions and his death is even slightly attenuated. I'd still rather be on his side of a civil case against the attackers he engaged with directly assuming they can be clearly identified.
    Well, I can't recall any homocide related charges for any of the ones arrested/charged so far. I want to say they were waiting for the outcome of the autopsy before adding those, which makes sense. The charges already announced won't change, I don't think.

Yeah, civil case would be a much different issue since burden of proof threshold is lower than in criminal trials.

p

Well, I can't recall any homocide related charges for any of the ones arrested/charged so far. I want to say they were waiting for the outcome of the autopsy before adding those, which makes sense. The charges already announced won't change, I don't think.

Yeah, civil case would be a much different issue since burden of proof threshold is lower than in criminal trials.
    Only assault charges were made. Two people using bear spray. I think it will affect the outcome of their sentences if found guilty but they won’t be charged with murder.

There wasn't any mention of a heart attack. The assault on Sicknick probably contributed to his death, but the main thing to point out is yet another media narrative that was repeated at nauseum wasn't true.

There wasn't any mention of a heart attack. The assault on Sicknick probably contributed to his death, but the main thing to point out is yet another media narrative that was repeated at nauseum wasn't true.

Well, I don't read much news media to begin with, so I don't really care a whole lot what they say. I was guessing it was a heart attack, although someone else here said it was a series of strokes. Maybe natural causes, but it wouldn't surprise me either if the attack triggered it.

Officer Sicknick died of "Natural Causes" they say...my response to that would be, if it were a normal duty day on Jan 6, would he be alive today?

What if someone breaks into your elderly mom's house and as she's surprised by the intruder she has a heart attack and dies? What would you want to charge the intruder with?

Officer Sicknick died of "Natural Causes" they say...my response to that would be, if it were a normal duty day on Jan 6, would he be alive today?

What if someone breaks into your elderly mom's house and as she's surprised by the intruder she has a heart attack and dies? What would you want to charge the intruder with?

I have no doubt about that. But good luck proving that in a court of law.

I have no doubt about that. But good luck proving that in a court of law.
    Agreed...it would be a tough prove...but you can without a doubt with little effort charge ever single insurrectionist with accessory to manslaughter (or murder) for the deaths of the girl who was shot & the lady who was trampled. There is precedent for charging folks for the death of their accomplice.

Agreed...it would be a tough prove...but you can without a doubt with little effort charge ever single insurrectionist with accessory to manslaughter (or murder) for the deaths of the girl who was shot & the lady who was trampled. There is precedent for charging folks for the death of their accomplice.

Indeed. Good points.

interesting
    =================
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Among the far-right groups whose members are suspected of planning the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol are the Proud Boys. In March, the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s director told the Senate Judiciary Committee that he “absolutely” wished the agency had penetrated the group beforehand, or knew its plans.

“I do not consider what happened on January 6th to be an acceptable result,” Director Christopher Wray said. “We are focused very, very hard on how can we get better sources, better information, better analysis.”

The FBI had deeper insight into the group than Wray disclosed, however.

Bureau agents maintained connections with key Proud Boys leaders starting as early as 2019, a Reuters examination has found. At least four Proud Boys have provided information to the FBI, Reuters learned. Often these leaders were sharing intelligence about Antifa, a loose movement of left-wing activists opposed by former President Donald Trump and right-wing media.

The connections between the Proud Boys and the FBI do not mean the agency had thoroughly penetrated the far-right group. But some law enforcement veterans say the ties show the agency could have done more to prepare for the deadly Jan. 6 uprising, which sought to overturn the election of Democrat Joe Biden as president..............

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom